Racing Paint Compatability

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
Actually, as long as the suoer thin layer of VC17 or SR21 is there, it is an excellent antifoulant. It is good in sea water for a whole lotta hours
I can't speak for your area, but this is what my bottom looked like less than 2 months after applying 2 fresh coats of VC 17M (after pressure washing of course). I would guess barnacle husks occupy about 80% of the underwater surface.

And I suspect that the area not occupied by barnacle husks was occupied by mussels and/or weeds because there was plenty of that as well.

2009-09-19 002.JPG

Last edited:

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
I can't speak for your area, but this is what my bottom looked like less than 2 months after applying 2 fresh coats of VC 17M (after pressure washing of course). I would guess barnacle husks occupy about 80% of the underwater surface.

View attachment 535660
Did you even read my post?? There is only enough copper to last a whole lotta hours.
VC might work for days but certainly not weeks

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
Did you even read my post?? There is only enough copper to last a whole lotta hours.
VC might work for days but certainly not weeks
Uhh...yes.

You said "It is good in sea water for a whole lotta hours" which is a vague statement A few months can be a whole lotta hours, as can a few I suppose if you choose to look at it that way.

Not much point in applying an anti-foulant that "might work for days". I suspect most people expect an anti-foulant to last at least one season.

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
Uhh...yes.

You said "It is good in sea water for a whole lotta hours" which is a vague statement A few months can be a whole lotta hours, as can 1 day I suppose if you choose to look at it that way.

Not much point in applying an anti-foulant that "might work for days". I suspect most people expect an anti-foulant to last at least one season.
The stuff is fantastic on our lake for about a year and re-costing takes about an hour

Personally?? I prefer a hydrohoist

1sailor

Super Anarchist
I've got a hard paint similar to VC-17, basically a euro version of VC and I cant recall the name.

I'd like to re-coat with VC17 but I dont want blue-red-"almost black" color that they call "original."

Is there a lighter grey anti foul race paint that is OK ?

What about that pettit vivid-white stuff, does it stay white in (semi dirty) fresh water ?

If it's Baltoplate, the Trinidad line - Pro and similar ones (if you can still get it) adheres pretty well following a rough sand - 80 grit with a random orbital sander. Petit has a compatibility chart somewhere, the last one I saw a couple years ago showed that combo with an asterix, which I think meant "should work but don't bother us with warranty claims."

Monkey

Super Anarchist
I've got a hard paint similar to VC-17, basically a euro version of VC and I cant recall the name.

I'd like to re-coat with VC17 but I dont want blue-red-"almost black" color that they call "original."

Is there a lighter grey anti foul race paint that is OK ?

What about that pettit vivid-white stuff, does it stay white in (semi dirty) fresh water ?
I’m also on Lake Michigan and have plenty of experience with Pettit Vivid. It did it’s job perfectly, but grew a very visible stain. Although it was an epoxy bottom, I really liked the idea the Evolution guys went with back when I was cleaning that thing. Mix a quart of black in with the required amount of white to give it a light grey bottom. Looks cool and hides the stains.

1sailor

Super Anarchist
not a bad program on the tint. I don't think there are many lighter-colored options like that.. I will do some research on Vivid, if it can go over VC and is a semi-hard paint it could work
my boat lives in the water full-time at least for now, id love a pretty white bottom but..... they never look that way after some time in the dirty

Monkey

Super Anarchist
not a bad program on the tint. I don't think there are many lighter-colored options like that.. I will do some research on Vivid, if it can go over VC and is a semi-hard paint it could work
my boat lives in the water full-time at least for now, id love a pretty white bottom but..... they never look that way after some time in the dirty
You can’t put Vivid over VC without a fair amount of work. You have to strip down to barrier coat or hull. Luckily VC 17 comes off easy. Understandably, your boat’s a bit bigger, but it only took me a half a day by myself to prep our little B-25 for the switch. I highly recommend the tint. You know as well as I do how many clean bottoms you’ve seen in our lake that have that ugly brown stain. A touch of grey works wonders in hiding it.

Here’s an example. All year long it’d still look like this.

Edit: Dammit, forgot to mention that was Evo and an epoxy bottom, but meant it as an example of how well the color hides the ugly staining. That picture was taken in August (many years ago), and her bottom cleaner wasn’t always available (me), so it should’ve looked pretty bad by then.
2D46EACC-C708-4554-A140-761A0820C4BE.jpeg

Last edited:

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
when in doubt, sand it off.
Several race boat in the Ventura area, mine included have very good luck with Sea Hawk Cukote (ablative). I like the shark white.
After 1 year the diver takes 9 minutes (actually 8:45) to do my little Zap 26 before a race. stuff sluffs right off.

jerseyguy

Super Anarchist
I’m already a member of the group. When I say “retired” I mean I don’t even try to find work. I still get talked into a couple jobs a year despite telling them I’m out of the business.
After I retired, some 14 years ago, I too kept getting offers to consult and take on various other tasks. Took on a few where the ratio of time invested to enjoyment and compensation worked out to my advantage.

Finally I started responding to requests by saying that my fees were so high thst I wouldn’t even hire me

Latest posts