Racing with a broken wirst

Bowchow

Anarchist
I'm doing mast for a upcoming regatta on a 109. Supposed to be a light air regatta. I recently had a screw put in my wrist (3 weeks ago), and since I haven't been able to use it for 2 months, I've gotten half decent at doing stuff one handed. What do you guys think about sailing/not sailing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Larch

WLIS
Remember "One hand for you and one hand for the boat" ??

Where's the hand for you ?

Or, don't even think about it unless you are going as a passenger

Tunnel Rat

Super Anarchist
I would suggest that mast may not be the most effective position on a boat for someone with a broken wrist. The speed of hoist on a spinnaker will be less than half the normal speed and you will not be able to help with dropping the genoa, or any other tasks around the pointy end in any sort of a chop or swell.

You may find grinding or trimming is more efficient for you until you are back to 100%.

chaosmaster

Super Anarchist
Chicago
I'm doing mast for a upcoming regatta on a 109. Supposed to be a light air regatta. I recently had a screw put in my wrist (3 weeks ago), and since I haven't been able to use it for 2 months, I've gotten half decent at doing stuff one handed. What do you guys think about sailing/not sailing?
Drive the boat

polluted

Cleveland
SA is not your doctor. That said, I've been in a similar position with a shattered distal radius and a bunch of hardware.

1. There will be other races. Just go to the party. Doubly so if you're in a traditional cast or ex-fix. Breaking the wrist a second time, or having a non-union means you're fucked for the season, maybe longer. Not something you want to mess with.
  2. Do the PT exercises as prescribed. Stretch a lot. Don't get broken again.
  3. Also, it is a good excuse to get a friend into sailing. Send him/her as your replacement.
  4. Finally, when your doc does say ok for activity, take it slow. Be rail meat and wear whatever brace he/she prescribed.

Speedy recovery.

notallthere

Super Anarchist
im on a boat!
Sailed w/ a broken wrist for 6 yrs. It never fused and i didnt know (high pain threshold)

Found out, and had surg. Didnt sail for a bit while recovering. Its still not great, but i hang.

Take it easy as long as you can. Best of luck, wrists are bad

Mr Moab

Anarchist
Can you get on a RIB? Take advantage of the time out. Go out and observe the race and observe you boat. Take notes and give the feedback to the crew. You are still part of the team, and you can truly add some value. On top of that you will learn tons if you pay attention.

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
Did mast on a gs43 with a broken hand, broke my hand on day one then battled another 3 days of a regatta, got home after and they put 2 large k wires in my hand, while I finished the regatta I wouldn't advise racing while injured

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Don't even think about it! I had four knee surgeries in 23 months last one in October. If I had taken it easier after the first one, the subsequent ones might not have been needed. It's definitely not worth the agro if you fuck with the wrist before it is fully healed. If you do go, wear a good brace and don't use it to do mast or trim sheets; just for holding your beer... :D

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
If you want to sail effectively again you'll give it time to heal properly. Those who think they can rush recovery tend to end up repenting at leisure.
I'm not always at leisure. I do work sometimes. But you're right. ;)

By rushing recovery (probably) I lost two years of Etchells racing, and now my new job precludes it altogether. Don't take any chances, if you want to be able to sail again soon.

FlyingScot310

Anarchist
WLIS
As much as you want to sail you'll be jeopardizing your recovery and doing a disservice to the rest of the crew. And, f you go overboard not only will you be putting yourself in more harms way than a typical MOB situation, you'll be doing the same to your crew.

I'm not sure where you're planning on sailing but for most of the country it's just the beginning of sailing season. Get healed properly and enjoy the rest of the season.

pmw

Okanagan
Broke both bones just above the wrist while snow boarding. Missed an entire season of sailing, which completely sucked, but the wrist is good now. It doesn't take much to throw it out of alignment (had to have it reset twice) before it is totally healed. If it isn't aligned properly when it heals, you will regret it.

Latest posts