Radio is "busy" when instruments are on

x44446

I got used 1996 sailboat with old instruments and icom radio.

The problem is that icom radio makes noise and shows "busy" indicator when the instruments switch is on.

How to troubleshoot such issues?

Should I disconnect/connect devices on the instruments bus and see which one is making the trouble?

Any other ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
Should I disconnect/connect devices on the instruments bus and see which one is making the trouble?
Yes. Unlikely that the problem is the ICOM. Though it could be a bad connection somewhere in the antenna coaxial cable.

Seems odd the old instruments would emit in the VHF band. Does the squelch quiet the noise? Because that would confirm (somewhat) VHF noise vs. some audio issue.

IStream

Super Anarchist
FWIW, I had the exact same symptoms in a Standard Horizon GX2200. It would continuously say "busy" exactly like I had the transmit button pressed. I completely isolated it and nothing made any difference. I finally relented and paid to return it to SH. When it came back, it was working fine.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
I had an interesting pulsing on my icom, which had a remote mic in the cockpit. It wasn't always busy, but it was like pulsing static and squelch didn't help. I finally figured out that if I was storing the tacktick remote in the winch handle holder closest to the mic it was causing the problem.

sailak

Super Anarchist
AK
If you have a vhf handheld you can take the antenna off and 'sniff' around for interference, although at that close of range you might need to shield it with foil or something.  

Otherwise process of elimination, unplug an instrument 1 at a time. 

Wiring: check that the coax for the radio isn't bundled with the DC wiring or anything else, they should be a few inches apart and cross at 90 degree angles.  Connections, grounds.. Sounds like a strong signal.. something has cooked off somewhere.

Ocean View

Australia
We have a similar issue that I've never been able to fully diagnose - but mine points towards it being a display that we can't source.

But the tips I received at this thread should help

Good Luck.