RAINMAKER DISMASTED OFF HATTERAS IN GALE

I am happy the crew is safe and sound, and even happier that the coasties who rescued them made it home safe and sound from a "rescue" mission which should have never taken place. I am sorry but this "come rescue me" mentality has got to go. They made a decision on board to be airlifted, what about the lives they are risking to make that decision. Like I said I am glad everyone made it home safe but they obviously were not in any immediate danger and therefore had absolutely ZERO right to call in the coasties. Here is a good rule of thumb when it comes to sailing offshore, if you are not comfortable sailing offshore with absolutely no communication equipment, you do not belong offshore, PERIOD. I don't care if I sound like an asshole, I am speaking the truth. Call for help in serious(such as life threatening) medical emergencies, or from your liferaft, or from a desert island. Do not call for help because you are scared or uncomfortable.

With all due respect to everyone involved, why the air lift? Single handed sailors on 60' monohulls often self rescue after loosing/ breaking a mast. Why can a full crew on a stable and reportedly undamaged cat not do the same?
Web site says boat won't sink. Also, it says in a storm, pull up dagger boards and rudders and the boat will just slide sideways. I guess they left the dock without the operators manual.

With all due respect to everyone involved, why the air lift? Single handed sailors on 60' monohulls often self rescue after loosing/ breaking a mast. Why can a full crew on a stable and reportedly undamaged cat not do the same?
Web site says boat won't sink. Also, it says in a storm, pull up dagger boards and rudders and the boat will just slide sideways. I guess they left the dock without the operators manual.
Might have lost the InterWeb + Direct-TV Dish's and the SuperBowl is Sunday after all

Perhaps the Water Heater and Ice Maker took a hit ??

ropetrick

Super Anarchist
What the fuck are you doing out in the North Atlantic in January?

And where the hell were they going?

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Glad everyone is safely on the ground. We'll get the full story in the morning.

rescued.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
I was waiting until it was clear everyone is safe.

They are.

So WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU DOING OUT THERE :blink:

My house is shaking in the wind gusts right now. This weather was hardly a surprise! I am assuming the rigging is wrapped around the props and rudders. Otherwise why not just motor on home.

Raked Aft\\

Super Anarchist
The North Coast
current conditions per above.

Winds: NW (310°) at 27.2 kt gusting to 35.0 kt
Significant Wave Height: 13.1 ft

Glad all are safe but concur with many of the above. You can't go offshore and expect a paid airlift home in those conditions!

weightless

Super Anarchist
^^^ I wouldn't take the buoy report as gospel. Weather is local. Given a top shelf boat with a pro crew I think it's safe to assume there's more to the story than the weather report.

So grateful for the US Coast Guard. RAINMAKER's crew safely ashore at Dare County Airport. The chopper landed on fumes, and could not make it to their base. Ironically, Dare is on Roanoke Island close to Gunboat. The RAINMAKER crew got a warm welcome from a very grateful Gunboat team. Happy to have our family safe. A huge hug to the crew and the USCG rescue team.

So grateful for the US Coast Guard. RAINMAKER's crew safely ashore at Dare County Airport. The chopper landed on fumes, and could not make it to their base. Ironically, Dare is on Roanoke Island close to Gunboat. The RAINMAKER crew got a warm welcome from a very grateful Gunboat team. Happy to have our family safe. A huge hug to the crew and the USCG rescue team.
Chopper landed on fumes? I am grateful for the guts that the coasties have to rescue obviously non professionals. I am seriously happy these people made it home safe, but I sure hope they get a bill for being rescued from a boat that is/was apparently NOT sinking.

EXO

Glad everyone is safely on the ground. We'll get the full story in the morning.
+1 BTW the Coasties don't look too pissed off, you don't suppose they actualy 'live' for this stuff? When you go fishing do you enjoy it less if the fish ain't too bright??

Jus' sayin'