Ramming Speed! Tall Ship Docking Adventures

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
The Rib wihj the 30 hp outboard was doing nothing. Didn't you notice the 2 green Oldport Marine boats that were pushing the ship off of the 12 Meters? I was driving one of them. They both have 100 hp Yanmar diesel engines, and we were barely able to push them off. Fortunately, we were able to push the ship around the corner and kept the 12's from being crunched. By the way, the ship did drop an anchor at one point, without any warning, I was pushing on the bow at the time and it just missed my boat!
Wow :eek: :eek:

Were you supposed to be doing that or did you jump in when you saw them in trouble?
Either way, good on you for what you managed to do.

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
More 1812 related history . . 

The OHPerry was built upon the unfinished hull of the replica HMS Detroit, the British ship that lost to Perry's fleet in 1813. It had been a project of the city of Amherstberg, ON and others; but they ran out of money and sold the hull to the Rhode Island group. 

And by the way, much of what you have been taught about the War of 1812 is a pack of lies . . . as is most military history. 

http://otherwords.org/confessions-repentant-war-1812-reenactor/

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
More 1812 related history . . 

The OHPerry was built upon the unfinished hull of the replica HMS Detroit, the British ship that lost to Perry's fleet in 1813. It had been a project of the city of Amherstberg, ON and others; but they ran out of money and sold the hull to the Rhode Island group. 

And by the way, much of what you have been taught about the War of 1812 is a pack of lies . . . as is most military history. 

This article implies that there are some people who think the US won the war of 1812.  Is that what schoolchildren in the US are taught?

Parma

Super Anarchist
here
This article implies that there are some people who think the US won the war of 1812.  Is that what schoolchildren in the US are taught?
I wasn't taught that.

Then again I grew up when political correctness was not a thing.

Mgineo

Wow :eek: :eek:

Were you supposed to be doing that or did you jump in when you saw them in trouble?
Either way, good on you for what you managed to do.
I was at our dock and I  saw the tops of their spars leaving their dock.   I knew there would be trouble because of the wind speed and wind direction. I immediately  jumped in my boat and headed for the ship, by the time I got to the ship they were already having problems. We immediately started pushing  and prevented the ship from doing more damage than they did. Surprisingly, there was relatively minor damage to the boats that got hit. The 12'S would have sustained serious damage if we weren't there to push the ship off.

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
Yeah, I agree with Mgineo.  If she tried to get off the dock, all she'd have done is created some of her own carnage.  Now she might should got the hell off the port side of her boat!

deep c

Most evident of the cluelessness of the folks running that ship has to be their executive director's insightful comment:

"Wurzbacher said it is a 500-ton (454-metric ton) vessel that regularly operates in windy conditions and the captain determined it was safe."  "I don’t think the weather affected the incident,” she said."

Was aboard the OHP for an open house not long back, ship was filthy and the lack of discipline from the deck plates up was evident.  

ridgerunner

Please give a little more credit to the US Navy (although not sure its warranted).....Constitution always has assistance leaving the dock and in the harbor...
Actually give the credit to the USCG and crew of the Eagle - they are the ones who train the USN on the finer points of handling a sailing ship.

Panoramix

Super Anarchist
More 1812 related history . .. 

(... )

My eldest daughter got taught the 100 years' war firstly in an English school then in a French one, after that she was a bit confused and couldn't work out who were the villains and the good ones. I solved the issue by telling here that war is a dirty business and all sides are villains. 

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
I don't think anyone needed to hear a sound signal to warn them that they were in trouble, pretty self explanatory. 
I'm sure anyone down below on their boats while that behemoth was drifting around agrees with you 100%. Good on you to be trying to corral the beast, but at least one boat owner didn't know he was in danger until the crunch of the Hazard against his port side.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
This why Constitution only leaves the dock every 20 yrs! 
Please give a little more credit to the US Navy (although not sure its warranted).....Constitution always has assistance leaving the dock and in the harbor...
First off, Scanas, I know you're joking. the USS Constitution leaves the dock every year at least twice (with the exception of the past 3 years she's been in drydock). It's part of her commission that she needs to have so many miles under the keel each year. and yikes, you're serious too, right? the Constitution has maintained in as close to her original configuration as possible, which includes no auxiliary motor, so yeah.. she has assistance leaving the dock. She sailed under her own power in 2014 (with a tug attached) and in 2012 (unassisted), in addition to the 1997 200th anniversary sail. She just did a turnaround on Friday. Still impressive to watch (even under tow).

ribber

my apologies, I was too condescending.

it struck me as odd there didn't seem to be anyone trying to pull it (vs. pushing it) away from the dock, or am I mistaken? was the wind strength negating any attempts?
Just an offhand uninvolved comment: pulling lines requires someone competent on the vessel being pulled tendering and securing a line.  In this situation confidence in the crew's ability to be effective is already in doubt.  Assuming someone aboard could throw a line and effectively convey it to the launches (big assumption) what would be the odds that 1)it's tied off properly? 2) it's led through a chock and not, say, over stanchions?  Pushing doesn't require skill on the part of the vessel being helped. Your mileage may vary.

Latest posts