Random Info for Cruising Anarchists

Mid

Blues Rule
MAD-Magazine-Don-Martin-Evening-at-Home.jpg

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
This one belongs here. Karl Kruger, of Orcas Island, is a super dude. NWP attempt on a SUP. He’s definitely no beginner at this sort of thing, but no one has ever attempted a SUP paddle of the NWP.

Pic below is not the muddy Mississippi or something - it’s his first dip of the paddle in the Arctic Ocean the other day at Tuktoyaktuk, starting point for an attempt on the NWP.

That’s his entire kit on board, enough for three weeks of living without re-supply, not including water (which he can re-supply at from local streams, etc.)
In addition to obvious camping and nav/comms gear, the kit strapped on the board includes a marinized shotgun, and trip wire and blanks rig to set around nightly camp spots to try to scare off polar bears. His Joe Bark custom SUP, 18 ft long by 26.5” wide.

Wish him luck on a really incredible adventure and follow him here!
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/RSTH#history/assets

Map below in case you don’t know where Tuktoyaktuk or the NW Passage is :)

View attachment 530801

View attachment 530807
I hope he has enough food. You burn a lot of calories just being in the cold.

Some climbing acquaintances did a trip/expedition to the Cirque of the Unclimbables, hauling sleds across the snow because you simply cannot backpack in enough food and gear. Their caloric consumption was far above what they had calculated and budgeted for. By the time they got to the climbs, they had eaten half their food and were forced to turn back. When they got back to their truck they had extra food, but something, probably porcupines, had gotten through the light chicken wire they had wrapped around the underside of their truck and had chewed the hoses and wires. Trying to get back to a traveled road was a sufferfest.

Last edited:

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
I hope he has enough food. You burn a lot of calories just being in the cold.

Some climbing acquaintances did a trip/expedition to the Cirque of the Unclimbables, hauling sleds across the snow because you simply cannot backpack in enough food and gear. Their caloric consumption was far above what they had calculated and budgeted for. By the time they got to the climbs, they had eaten half their food and were forced to turn back. When they got back to their truck they had extra food, but something, probably porcupines, had gotten through the light chicken wire they had wrapped around the underside of their truck and had chewed the hoses and wires. Trying to get back to a traveled road was a sufferfest.

He’s back - he decided to break the NWP trip into a few summers, to be able to slow down and enjoy the vastness of the Arctic

Yeah, the Cirque is an awesome place. And Tombstone Park too.

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
Pleasure boats, which are sort of rare in the scheme of 'news', are suddenly lens stars in the aftermath of these natural disasters.

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 2.53.07 PM.png

loneshark64

Super Anarchist
Later dudes
Is Mr. Miller Florida Man?

View attachment 543730
I know that area very well, lots of old people, some of whom I know. Many can’t really evacuate without a lot of help and many don’t have help.

Sold my mother in laws house in Ft Myers last year after she died and it was under 3’ of water yesterday. If she was still there it would have been near impossible to fly down there in time and get her out. My mom’s house is in the Tampa area and the day before it looked like she would get hit but it went to Ft Myers, hours south. Basically you can’t live in FL within 5-10miles of a beach now.

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
Dating a Globe:

We have an old globe that we picked up at a yard sale back in the early 1980s. I often wonder how old it is. It was made by the George F. Cram Company of Indianapolis, but there's no date on it. Happily, Mr. Google helped me find this website:

which led me to this one:

The idea is to use changes in country names and the dates of those changes to date your globe. French Guinea became Guinea in 1958, but our globe reads French Guinea. So I figure it's a 1958 globe.