hobot

Super Anarchist
Ange_blanc__Night_Nurse__William_A._Wellman__1931_le_squelette_dans_le_lit.gif

74492ef7a7f5c7aef560e9d27ee164cb.jpg

vintage-photos-life-before-autocad-11-5bd1744ee7967__700.jpg

pbd

Super Anarchist
Ca
 We carpooled to mammoth mountain with a one legged skier and your pics reminded of the weekend.  Dave was not put out by being mono legged.  He saved 50% on boots and a pair of skis lasted him twice as long. He never crossed tips.  He always went to the front of the lift line. Dave had a most positive attitude that washed overall who knew him.  We caught him only once on that weekend as a group and all posed for a group club picture on a slope .  As we took pics (35 mm film days) an ankle biter plowed through our group on the slope ending up near Dave down hill in a settling cloud of powder.  Dave regained his footing as the ankle biter looked up and Dave exclaimed "Look what you did to my foot"....
Had a relative (2nd uncle or so by marriage)  He was an avid skier who lost his leg to cancer back in the 60's.  The story we got at the time was he was one of the pioneers of amputee skiing in the Sierras.  

I haven't thought about him for a number of years.

Last edited by a moderator:

hobot

Super Anarchist
Apologies to all.

There's no post count number first of all so I lost my way. I do have some proper black and white vintage glamour pictures on my phone but there's so many pictures I couldn't spend through and find them.

When I get back home then I have my laptop there's a specific folder I have the full of the proper picture for the top of the page.

Color pics or for Sol's thread.

Posting these pics off of my phone is difficult at best and there's no delete button that I could find so doing the best we can with what we have.

Last edited by a moderator:

nolatom

Super Anarchist
New Orleans
Not to worry, that's just start-up glitch stuff.  Pales in comparison to---

---the subject matter.  You haven't lost a thing off your fastball,

or curve..

or slider.

Welcome back, it's just a good feeling for us, hope you're feeling it too.

luminary

Anarchist
Apologies to all.

There's no post count number first of all so I lost my way. I do have some proper black and white vintage glamour pictures on my phone but there's so many pictures I couldn't spend through and find them.

When I get back home then I have my laptop there's a specific folder I have the full of the proper picture for the top of the page.

Posting these pics off of my phone is difficult at best and there's no delete button that I could find so doing the best we can with what we have.
Heck man - there are no f! rules here - this is anar f! chy!

You dont need to apologize for anything.

sailm8

Anarchist
Welcome back.  I really missed this thread and am so happy it's creater and Shepard has returned.  Continued recovery and good heath to you.  Now back to going down the rabbit hole.  If this makes no sense blame the shit load of single malt I drank at my mothers 100th birthday.

dyslexic dog

Super Anarchist
Michigan
Apologies to all.

Hobs, the last thing you need to do is apologize for any of you work here. Truthfully, the body of work is OK without the body of work sometimes. 

In 1974 my USN ship was in Kure Japan for a few days and liberty was generous (3 section) so a buddy of mine and I decided to visit Hiroshima. We had to take the train  to get there and since civies were not allowed in those days, we were in undress whites. The train made many stops along the way as it was sort of a commuter train.  So just the two of us in the train station looking confused (because we were) about how to get to Hiroshima when all the signs were in Japanese. Finally a conductor who spoke okay english asked if he could help. We explained our destination and he nodded, marched us onto the train and announced in Japanese to the assembled passengers where we were headed and they should advise us when it was time to get off. Each stop we'd look around and the group would shake their heads no and motion for us to stay seated. Finally we pulled into a stop and were advised with gestures and nodding that we had arrived. We get off the train after profusely thanking our guides and now stood at a taxi stand with a similar language barrier. Finally my buddy made an explosion sound and gestured with his hands an explosion. The driver smiled, nodded and took us directly to the Peace Park and Museum at Ground Zero. All I can say is it was stunning. The stark dome, the "shadows" of people vaporized by the blast, the museum. We finished the visit playing frisbee in the park and fountain with a bunch of kids much to their parents amusement. On the train ride back we were approached by a middle aged man who spoke pretty good English. Turned out he was a professor or teacher of some sort at a local university and wanted to try out his english. At the end of the ride back in Kure he got off as well and invited us to dinner in his home. We accepted and had a wonderful evening almost missing expiration of liberty hours back on board.

An experience I will never forget.
PB  Which chapter in the book will this be in. -  or do I need to compile the vignettes on my own?

F_L

Anarchist
Canyon Lake, TX
OK, so you may me look it up (dang this random pic thread and its endless rabbit holes!).  

Hobart, Tasmania is at about -42 deg latitude.   The northern California border and Boston are both at about +42 deg latitude.  

I have never seen northern lights (other than just a faint flow on the horizon) at less than about 50 deg latitude.  
I saw the northern lights ~30 yrs ago from here in TX. Kinda freaked me out as I didn't know what it was at first. Finally called a weather guy in San Antonio and he confirmed that I wasn't crazy, he had other reports of the same.

Latest posts