Random PicThread

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
Are you working on telescopes there? And is Honolulu airport open and business as usual? My wife flys back to US thru there next week.
I used to work on the PAN-STARRS telescope project on Haleakala, doing image processing at the Maui High Performance Computing Center.

Honolulu is on a completely different island (Oahu), then Mauna Loa, which is the one erupting on the Big Island. And I live on Maui, which is a whole different island than those two. Our volcano on Maui has been "dormant" for many many years (1600s). Geologists think it has at least one more eruption in her but when you hike the cauldron, there are no hot spots or vents, unlike on Big Island which is very active.

Last edited:

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
1669860882861.png

DaveK

Super Anarchist
I used to work on the PAN-STARS telescope project on Haleakala, doing image processing at the Maui High Performance Computing Center.

Honolulu is on a completely different island (Oahu), then Mauna Loa, which is the one erupting on the Big Island. And I live on Maui, which is a whole different island than those two. Our volcano on Maui has been "dormant" for many many years (1600s). Geologists think it has at least one more eruption in her but when you hike the cauldron, there are no hot spots or vents, unlike on Big Island which is very active.

Yes I get Oahu but didn't know if there was ash spreading that far over to effect Hono's airport. I remeber when planes where have engine issues with ash from the Greenland or Iceland irruptions. I'm Kwajalein Marshall Island and work on the telescopes here at the Reagen Test Site. A 5 hour flight south west of you guys.

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
Yes I get Oahu but didn't know if there was ash spreading that far over to effect Hono's airport. I remeber when planes where have engine issues with ash from the Greenland or Iceland irruptions. I'm Kwajalein Marshall Island and work on the telescopes here at the Reagen Test Site. A 5 hour flight south west of you guys.
Gotcha. I haven't heard of any flight interruptions from the vog and ash.

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
Very interesting at Reagen. What role do you have there? What kind of work do you do?

I was the "garbage man" on PAN-STARRS. As in, I was tracking space garbage, providing clearances for launches, and checking if anything was going to break orbit and hit any population centers. All of this was done through sensor and image analysis software I worked on.

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL
Very interesting at Reagen. What role do you have there? What kind of work do you do?

I was the "garbage man" on PAN-STARRS. As in, I was tracking space garbage, providing clearances for launches, and checking if anything was going to break orbit and hit any population centers. All of this was done through sensor and image analysis software I worked on.
Man, there are some people with interesting lives posting on this site! There was a "DaveK" on the WERA board...any relation?

Hopefully you guys will warn us before "the big one" hits earth!

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm
ML is the highest mountain on earth, if measured from its base below the surface of the ocean.

DaveK

Super Anarchist

I was hired as the Optics engineer. We have 5 different observatorys around this 60 mile atoll. With multiple sensors in each one. I'm very much a laser electro-optics guy but know little about telescopes. A lot of this stuff was built in the 70's and 80's and is very negleted. Non of it is for looking at stars... only at things moving really fast below the clouds. It's a fun place though but I have to mule in whole prime Costco ribeyes from people flying back from Honolulu.