Random PicThread

DarthSailor

Super Anarchist
1670343996525.png

Hawker Typhoon one of my favorite planes. Love the chin radiator

1670344057388.png

My absolute favorite plane, with what looks like a wing fold failure or possibly the ground crew forgetting to lock the wing in place.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
View attachment 558109
My absolute favorite plane, with what looks like a wing fold failure or possibly the ground crew forgetting to lock the wing in place.

If it's a hinge failure, then the hinge was improperly inspected before flight. If a forgotten pin... well let's just say that in either case a crew chief is going to put his foot up some poor swabbie's ass. Probably several somebodies.

My dad flew these things in training, never deployed with them. He said they were heinous bitches to fly and the torque made them difficult to handle on the ground, too. But the good news is, they were real easy to get out of and he mentioned several accidents with them where the pilot (squadron mates, not himself) got clear.

tizak

Guppy/super guppy brain child of Conroy, built from old aged out Convair frames in SB. My dad built the special wood hangers and them shipped them to north slope to off load drill pipe. Clay Lacey test pilot , balls of steel.
Yes - those things were bizarre.

After they shut down their SB operation Alain Clenet was the first, I think, to occupy their hanger to build his cars. Got a tour from him - think he thought I was a potential customer...

1670349339079.png

He dredged up nearly new Lincolns with bodies beyond repair, repaired / refreshed the chassis and suspension then dropped a new V8 under the hood and added all the classic / luxury bits to create the finished unit.

I think he made a killing on the crashed Lincolns - nobody wanted them.

Oil sheiks loved touring their kingdoms in Clenets years ago.

Thank you Hobot!!! The Pike with the notorious Cyclone Racer, my neighborhood growing up and Signal Hill in the backround!
Long Beach in the 1950's was heaven for a kid on a Huffy Paperboy Special with a pocketfull of quarters from collections from the Press Telegram newspaper. I can't count how many times I rode the Racer and touched the sign! So many good times.....

Latest posts