Ranger 23, LA -> HI solo

woahboy

Anarchist
North of DFW
13 hours ago, CapnK said:

Fellow A-30 owner James posted this video of a short interview to his YT thread "SPECIAL EPISODE: SAM HOLMES HAWAII BOUND on a 23ft Sailboat", linky:

Ahhh, I see that he has the requisite Buttery Mashed Idahoans. I hope that doesn't bode badly for him. But alas, no chicken.

woahboy

Anarchist
North of DFW
Seriously I do wish this gentleman well. And he looks like he is well prepared for his voyage. I hope the "Big Geography" of the Pacific ocean is kind to him. 

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
After a short watch of the video, he doesn't seem to know exactly what his water & provisions amounts are. Mite be thirsty towards the end of the trip.

AnotherSailor

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
After a short watch of the video, he doesn't seem to know exactly what his water & provisions amounts are. Mite be thirsty towards the end of the trip.
Yes, did he say 6 times 1.25 gallons and then some 10 gallons of "funky" water? After 2 weeks it will be just funky water.

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL
A guy I know sailed one of those solo from Ft. Lauderdale to France in the early 1980's and had a great trip.   It was red also, named "Betelgeuse".  Neat little boats, got to sail on it in Ft Myers in voyage trim before he moved it to Ft. Lauderdale. Sold it in France after his crossing.  He is about 1/3 around the world in his Island Packet 460 now.  Hey, its a start!  Wishing him a great time!

woahboy

Anarchist
North of DFW
An I caught that he is wearing a colostomy bag. Not a downer but couldn't that cause issues if he runs out of a source of clean water? Fingers crossed and wishing him all the luck in the world. 

BrickTopHarry

Anarchist
Texas
An I caught that he is wearing a colostomy bag. Not a downer but couldn't that cause issues if he runs out of a source of clean water? Fingers crossed and wishing him all the luck in the world. 
On the other hand it makes having no head on his boat a much simpler issue.  Silver linings!

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
Awesome- just happened to see on his YouTube channel that he also built a Greenland style kayak with *very* minimal tools, materials and budget.  MAJOR style points!! :).

Good on him for making it to Hawaii on the little Ranger 23’.  Ya know, go simple, go now :) 

Last edited by a moderator:

woahboy

Anarchist
North of DFW
I am relieved to hear that he's made it in one piece. I wonder what his future plans are, back to the States or his he following the route of our intrepid 'round the world sailor?

BrickTopHarry

Anarchist
Texas
He said in the linked video that he was going to spend a few months in Hawaii, do some parasailing.  He had the idea to maybe circumnavigate but it had occurred to him that the Ranger 23 might not be the best vessel for that.

woahboy

Anarchist
North of DFW
He said in the linked video that he was going to spend a few months in Hawaii, do some parasailing.  He had the idea to maybe circumnavigate but it had occurred to him that the Ranger 23 might not be the best vessel for that.
Thank You for the reply. I hadn't had time to watch the video.