RANT race compromised by party

sailorman44

CT/FL
A local club sponsors a costal race. It's a good race, or could be, lots of boats participate, 10 classes, 12 boats in my class. There is an after race party put on by volunteers from the club. I like a party, a chance to catch up with friends that I only see at after race parties.

But they start the race early so the party can start early so it will be over early so as not to inconvenience the volunteers. They are volunteers, got to keep them happy. So they start the race at 10 AM, there is a party, you know.
Typical conditions: morning land breeze with the sea breeze filling in around 12:30 1 PM. [SIZE=10pt]First gun is at 9:55. Wind is 3-4 knot with an ebb tide, 1.5-2 knot cross current. The race starts and all classes get off, sorta. The first class gets about 1/2 a mile and runs out of wind. The later classes slowly creep up to them and park. The tide is still running and boats are drifting toward the rocks.They stay parked until the sea breeze starts fills in at 12:30 1 PM. Off we go.[/SIZE]

Now that the breeze has started the RC shortens the course. Its getting late, 2 PM and there is that party, you know. We finish and began the sail to our home club because the sponsoring club has no facilities for visiting boats. Have a great sail home in the best breeze of the day. Get there and put the boat away.

Off to the party. It's been a long day and a long (time wise) frustrating race and half the crew decide to bag the party. The rest of us drive 45 minutes to the party. We get there to find that the bar is closed, the food is gone and the result announcements are half over. Why am I doing this shit?

So, you gotta ask yourself, what's important here, the race or the party?

Varan

Super Anarchist
since when is starting a race at 10AM "early"?
When, as stated, the sea breeze typically fills in around 12:30 to 1 PM, 10 AM is about 3 hours early.
WIRW.. First gun at noon, they try to have all classes finish up around 5 and the party starts at 6. On the rare instances when racing runs late, they delay the party as required. Somehow they always manage to make sure everyone has plenty of rum and beer, and they do a fine job of accomplishing this :)

Last edited by a moderator:

resalsail

So if the race wasn't shortened at Lord's Passage, and the time limit expired before you finished, that's a better solution for you ?

Where do you keep a boat that takes you 45 mins driving time to RIYC ?

At 5:45 when we left, the bar was still pouring and the the food was still out in abundance. They had not started any reading of results

And trying to tie the start time to having volunteers actually bringing plates of food around just makes you sound silly.

bloodshot

Super Anarchist
United States
since when is starting a race at 10AM "early"?
When, as stated, the sea breeze typically fills in around 12:30 to 1 PM, 10 AM is about 3 hours early.
WIRW.. First gun at noon, they try to have all classes finish up around 5 and the party starts at 6. On the rare instances when racing runs late, they delay the party as required. Somehow they always manage to make sure everyone has plenty of rum and beer, and they do a fine job of accomplishing this :)
yeah, but starting a 15 mile point-to-point race at 1PM isn't a good choice either

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
Solution:

End the race where you can overnight at dock or anchor. Start race afternoon, when the sea breeze starting to fill in. 15 mile point to point race should finish in 3-4 hours, RC volunteers can be done before dark. Stay on boat and make your own party, BYOB and food....not sure why you need volunteers for a party.

resalsail

Valid points above

However.....

This race is around Fishers Island, it's not point to point. Start and finish are in the same general vicinity - most participants are coming from their own clubs and return to their club after racing, drive over to the party. no big deal...

Race is also on Sunday, so we working stiffs need to get home a little before the wee hours...

And while there is better chance of a sea breeze developing in the afternoon, it's not a given. I think the majority of competitors that race in this are well versed in light air sailing, understanding currents and playing the hand thats dealt. There is more to this then meets the eye...

echak

Event type, geography, and meteorology are all important factors here...

I raced dinghies and small keelboats on a Southeast lake for a few years; almost always around the cans... I got into it a few times with fleet captains about starting races midday, bobbing until 3pm, and heading for the club porch when the temps were cooler and the breeze was on. Although a 3-6pm series could have worked there, it probably wouldn't work for your coastal distance race. (Was the party well attended?)

Whatever, I voted by moving back to NE. We all can vote with our 2017 race entries.

Snow Guy

Anarchist
The Cove, CT
<snip>

And while there is better chance of a sea breeze developing in the afternoon, it's not a given. I think the majority of competitors that race in this are well versed in light air sailing, understanding currents and playing the hand thats dealt. There is more to this then meets the eye...
That's part of the fun of the race. The navigation is much more important when the breeze it light and you have to work the current the best you can. Sometimes it works out for the faster boats, other times the slower boats.

I didn't make the race this year, but sounds to me that a lot of the boats finishing around 2-2:30 is pretty reasonable, especially with the regatta being on a Sunday.

OP is one of the lower rated boats in the fleet and most others made it around fine. Don't blame the OA for you having a bad day. Also, it's not their fault that they don't have facilities for all visiting boats. Your's is on the larger side when they are trying to get as many boats on the dock as possible. Especially if you were just going to be there for a couple hours. That's the nature of that harbor. If you don't want to bring the boat home first, there are usually slips or moorings available for rent. Heck, if you said something ahead of time, there are many friendly people in that area that would likely try to help you out.

Streetwise

Super Anarchist
Lake Champlain
Did you make the party this year? I drove down from Vermont to crew for some Viper 640 buddies. It was a really fun race! We made it to the party after delivering home, and then taking a powerboat back, and the attendance was great. We finished just ahead of a Melges 32, and then they towed us with their stern wave back across the sound. That was pretty cool!

Cheers

bloodshot

Super Anarchist
United States
Did you make the party this year? I drove down from Vermont to crew for some Viper 640 buddies. It was a really fun race! We made it to the party after delivering home, and then taking a powerboat back, and the attendance was great. We finished just ahead of a Melges 32, and then they towed us with their stern wave back across the sound. That was pretty cool!

Cheers
This past weekend was the FIYC race (not the one in question).

So I'm guessing the OP finished close to 2PM, had a nice 2-3 hour cruise home, cleaned up the boat, got in line for the Fishers Island ferry and showed up at the party at 7 wondering where all the food was.

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
Ha, In our neck of the woods starting before noon is just uncivilized.... ;) Now pass the damn grey poupon :ph34r: ....

Latest posts