Rapido Trimarans - 2 x New Folding Models Coming !

Paul Koch

HCMC Vietnam
Hi Everyone , Rapido Trimarans are currently developing 2 new Folding Trimarans that will fold for marina berthing .

They will be an exciting addition to the fleet of Rapidos led by our flagship the Rapido 60 ! 

View attachment RT40 Aft Cockpit 031719.pdf         View attachment RAPIDO50_Interior_Arrangement_240718 (1).pdf View attachment RAPIDO50_Interior_Arrangement_240718 (1).pdf     View attachment RT40 Aft Cabin 031719.pdf

If you want know more email [email protected]

YES , I bought an add !

perspective view.png

RAPIDO 40

Rapido 50 perspective.jpg

RAPIDO 50

Paul Koch

HCMC Vietnam
Hi Boardhead,

Depends on the options selected what the weight and price is , obviously options cost more and weigh more !

Rapido 40  US$450,000 to $600,000 for a boat with too much stuff for me ! I personally like a simple light weight fast boat ! Early weight Estimate 3700 Kg

Rapido 50 US$800,000 to $1,200,000  6500 Kg 

Rapido 60 US$1,400,000 to US$1,800,000 with all bells and whistles .   9800 Kg

Expect first Rapido 50 to be launched by early 2020 and Rapido 40 shortly after  though we are highly motivated to get them out sooner . We just bought a big CNC Robot to speed up the tooling !

boardhead

Anarchist
     Excellent, I wish you Good Luck with all three and can’t wait to see the 40 in person, hopefully a bare bones, performance version.

I respect the fact that you have to offer all the bells and whistles for the marina based just talking fast brigade but more is always less for true performance. 

Hopefully  you can persuade an owner to go for a well dressed shell and remind the sailing world just how much fun a truly fast offshore 40’ tri can be.

Development of high performance 40’ multihulls has been going in the wrong direction for a long time.

Nets

Oslo
The Rapido 40 looks awesome! 

Is fully foiling, like the D&A F10 from the same designer, an option on this boat? What is her estimated performance - any polars?

Paul Koch

HCMC Vietnam
The Rapido 40 looks awesome! 

Is fully foiling, like the D&A F10 from the same designer, an option on this boat? What is her estimated performance - any polars?
Maybe in the future when the technology is more user friendly to average sailors ! But initially it has long C foils which will give a lot of lift . We don't have polars yet but expect the performance to be very good , certainly better than almost all 40 ft cruising multihulls!

Narval

Really great to see the first drawings of the Rapido 40. It is along the lines what I've waiting for some time. On the web site it says "Intracoastal Waterway"  - What category will it be? What offshore/ocean capability will it have?

eastern motors

Anarchist
Maybe in the future when the technology is more user friendly to average sailors ! But initially it has long C foils which will give a lot of lift . We don't have polars yet but expect the performance to be very good , certainly better than almost all 40 ft cruising multihulls!
Really nice to get the board out of the living space too.  Will the 50 and 60 go that was in the future?

Paul Koch

HCMC Vietnam
Really great to see the first drawings of the Rapido 40. It is along the lines what I've waiting for some time. On the web site it says "Intracoastal Waterway"  - What category will it be? What offshore/ocean capability will it have?
Maybe that is confusing ! We are keeping the mast height at 65 ft off the water  so it fits under all the bridges in the intracoastal waterway . The design is for a ocean going boat that you can sail anywhere . Will be built to CE Cat A . It will also fold up with the floats vertical , eliminating the old Corsair issue of crap growing on the sides when folded and left in a marina .

Narval

Thanks for the clarification. I was concerned there for a while that when finally someone went to build something in the 40 foot space that it wasn't going to be ocean capable :)!

A few other thoughts:

No nav station?

Not a lot of storage or hangers for wet weather gear or is it just missing on the drawings?

The aft berths in the aft cockpit version - looks like the head of whoever is in it will basically be on the floor of the cockpit. Not a great place to be on a passage?

Paul Koch

HCMC Vietnam
Thanks for the clarification. I was concerned there for a while that when finally someone went to build something in the 40 foot space that it wasn't going to be ocean capable :)!

A few other thoughts:

No nav station?

Not a lot of storage or hangers for wet weather gear or is it just missing on the drawings?

The aft berths in the aft cockpit version - looks like the head of whoever is in it will basically be on the floor of the cockpit. Not a great place to be on a passage?
There is a small space for electronics and navigation equipment . If you still need to use charts , use the saloon table , all boats are a compromise ! The head of the person in the aft bunk is is in the cabin , and the door can be closed , not the cockpit , their legs are under the seat in the cockpit , actually would be quite comfortable as your head is closer to the centre of the boat . 

Best bunk at sea will be the saloon settee with feet facing forward especially if racing at speed .

You could hang your wet weather gear on the bulkhead under the overhang of the cabin , usually a very dry place on a Rapido Trimaran .

Paul Koch

HCMC Vietnam
Are you planning to build the R40 in carbon?

View attachment 303659
YES !  The first 2 boats will be built in all Carbon and we will do the the next couple in all Carbon at the same price if you get in quick ! We will also offer a base detuned version in glass with a alloy rig for the guys who don't want the performance . Obviously all structural bits will stay in Carbon .

Paul Koch

HCMC Vietnam
How does the folding system work?
All will become clear with the passage of time !

It is simple to fold , unique , innovative and super strong !

Sorry , cant say more at the moment !

But we will not build anything that is not bulletproof and reliable !

And we have very experienced boat builders , engineers and designers all adding their wisdom to this project !

Narval

Is it two separate bunks or a double in the aft cabin version?

Any plans for an all electric version?

Veeger

Super Anarchist
Is it two separate bunks or a double in the aft cabin version?

Any plans for an all electric version?
Where does this fascination for electric propulsion come from when talking about a boat that isn't intended to be a marina queen or daysailer?

Electric = more complication, more cost, STILL an IC engine for the generator or else the need for days, not hours, to recharge via solar.  Electric only makes sense for limited use with easily accessible shore power.  There IS a case for that, but 40 and 50' offshore trimarans???   Color me jade-d....