Rapido Trimarans - 2 x New Folding Models Coming !

A very nice video and an amazingly comfortable looking 40' Tri with many desirable features.
The self tacking jib, spreaderless mast, ample galley appointments are just a few of the details I am envious of.
I am however, curious about the aft cabin.
Our Trimaran has a very similar layout except for engine location and what appears to be a potentially very useful quarter berth to port.
We use our aft cabin extensively because the forepeak often suffers from a potentially uncomfortable amount of motion for sleeping while underway . This is true when in a moderate to heavy seaway, absolutely so when going hard to weather.
We've been in some rather difficult conditions on long passages and that aft berth location for off-watch sleep has been essential when doublehanding.
For us; when on passages.... It's incredibly important that the aft berth stays totally dry and has an easy access while underway. It will be interesting to hear first hand accounts of how the Rapido-40 does with regards to the aft cabin access and dryness.

Last edited:

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
[...] very useful quarter birth to port.
[...] that aft birth location for off-watch sleep has been essential when doublehanding.
[...]It's incredibly important that the aft birth stays totally dry and has an easy access while underway.
"berth", not "birth".

Paul Koch

HCMC Vietnam
A very nice video and an amazingly comfortable looking 40' Tri with many desirable features.
The self tacking jib, spreaderless mast, ample galley appointments are just a few of the details I am envious of.
I am however, curious about the aft cabin.
Our Trimaran has a very similar layout except for engine location and what appears to be a potentially very useful quarter birth to port.
We use our aft cabin extensively because the forepeak often suffers from a potentially uncomfortable amount of motion for sleeping while underway . This is true when in a moderate to heavy seaway, absolutely so when going hard to weather.
We've been in some rather difficult conditions on long passages and that aft birth location for off-watch sleep has been essential when doublehanding.
For us; when on passages.... It's incredibly important that the aft birth stays totally dry and has an easy access while underway. It will be interesting to hear first hand accounts of how the Rapido-40 does with regards to the aft cabin access and dryness.
I have done 2 deliveries now , one from Vietnam to Malaysia ( 300 miles downwind and reaching ) and one from Vietnam to Phuket in Thailand (1500 miles upwind ) in all sorts of weather . The Rapido 40 goes incredibly well upwind , pointing high and going fast but yes the forward bunk is uncomfortable doing 12 knots upwind in a nasty sea so we then move to the saloon settee bunk ( best place to sleep upwind ) or the aft cabin which is easily accessible from inside through a tunnel .

It stays 100% dry if you don't leave the escape hatch open like some one did on our second delivery . The smaller the boat the wetter it is so compared to the 50 and 60 it can be a bit wet in some conditions but you actually get a lot of protection from the cabin and the overhang acts like a dodger . Also you have great visibilty all round through the saloon windows no matter where you sit .

Having the engine , tanks and all heavy equipment located near the centre of the boat helps the motion incredibly .

Paul,

You mention... "it can be a bit wet in some conditions but you actually get a lot of protection from the cabin and the overhang acts like a dodger"
Does the aft strut kick up spray and deposit it into the after section of the cockpit (which can happen on our Trimaran) when going to weather at over 8 knots of boat speed.....or is it spray from the quarter wake and the forward sections of the main hull?

Is there a design for a dodger for water and sun protection?

It's fantastic that you brought this 40 foot design to market, I wish I was on the east coast to visit.

Paul Koch

HCMC Vietnam
Paul,

You mention... "it can be a bit wet in some conditions but you actually get a lot of protection from the cabin and the overhang acts like a dodger"
Does the aft strut kick up spray and deposit it into the after section of the cockpit (which can happen on our Trimaran) when going to weather at over 8 knots of boat speed.....or is it spray from the quarter wake and the forward sections of the main hull?

Is there a design for a dodger for water and sun protection?

It's fantastic that you brought this 40 foot design to market, I wish I was on the east coast to visit.
There are 2 x Rapido 40's in Phuket , several under construction in Vietnam and there will be one at the Miami Boat show in Feb . The cabin acts like a dodger already and yes we can do a bimini over the cockpit . When I said wet on the 40 , I was comparing it to the 50 and 60 which are incredibly dry boats . The 50 has protection similar to a pilothouse .