Rapido Trimarans - 2 x New Folding Models Coming !

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
There's no doubt that trimarans are fast and fun but getting insurance companies to cover them comprehensively for offshore sailing is a major ball ache.
Actually doesn't have to be offshore racing, insurance for my dinky tri has all sorts of limitations to the point that racing and having damage due to racing would be something I wouldn't even go to the insurance company for (ie, self insurance)...which is another reason I don't race anymore (the others being fat, old, BTDT, and diabetic).  

boardhead

Anarchist
Comprehensive insurance used to be a good deal in the UK way back in the early 80’s when I first owned a trimaran, even including a short handed, double Atlantic crossing the premium was under $300 annually. I was shocked when it came time to place cover with an American company, four fold the cost just for coastal coverage, I guess the UK and Oz caught up.

If you build your own boat you are probably not going to let anyone else fix it so comprehensive coverage becomes pointless and liability insurance is a fraction of the cost. If you are not prepared to take the risk and self insure your own vessel why would you expect an insurance company to take the chance.

Sadly a procession of major losses by incompetent skippers have driven rates sky high, I recall reading a report of one total loss of a cruising cat run aground on a Bahamian reef whose direct route failed to take it into account - Columbus spotted it!

Insurance companies are in business to make a profit.

SeaGul

Super Anarchist
Oslo Norway
Insurance for racing; never seen a car or bike that races with insurance..... If its not kind of "tour racing"  with a boat that is not a pure racer - have they any insurance?

Wess

Super Anarchist
We currently own a Corsair C36 trimaran. Corsair F27 prior. US based.  We have never had issue getting insurance. Ever. Including racing. We had one claim (dismasted due to my stupidity) over 40 years of sailing and most of that is multis and most of that is in 2 trimarans. Been across the pond. All covered.

us7070

Super Anarchist
It sounds like some of these boats are home-built.., or quite old.., or both...

even if it's not really home built.., but is from a small shop that only turned out a few boats, it's kind of the same thing.

boats like that are often not insurable - multihulls or monohulls.

boardhead

Anarchist
So Wess, how much did the rig cost and how much did you spend on insurance in 40 years?

I never made an insurance claim either in over 40 years including all that you mentioned but the majority in personally, not pro built, multihulls. Never had a problem finding coverage either.

Spent quite a lot of time fixing my pro built Cat in areas that certainly would have resulted in insurance claims had they not been remedied prior to failure instead of just paying the premium and  filing the claim.

Some amateur builders cruise extensively, I met a few on beautiful boats, others just like building and dreaming, some pass on unfinished projects, some pro built boats are excellent, others are crap, it’s all over the map.

I have encountered enough sailers who think it’s fair game to make multiple claims, often for their incompetence from that, to them, seemingly bottomless resource for me to consider whether I want to fund that system. 

Thankfully we have the right to decide what degree of risk we wish to insure and what degree of risk we wish to take.

randii

Sacramento area
I have encountered enough sailers who think it’s fair game to make multiple claims, often for their incompetence from that, to them, seemingly bottomless resource for me to consider whether I want to fund that system. 

Thankfully we have the right to decide what degree of risk we wish to insure and what degree of risk we wish to take.
Agreed that I'd rather not fund the insurance system... I don't buy anything more than the liability that the state requires for my motorcycles, cars, and trucks, or the full coverage required by my mortgage. I'm effectively self-insured except where external forces require more, and sadly, when you slip in most marinas, that's a hard requirement there, and they look hard at the coverage, especially for fuel spills. Maybe that's another argument for electric boats, but I doubt insurance provides much of a break for that.

Randii

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
Some amateur builders cruise extensively, I met a few on beautiful boats, others just like building and dreaming, some pass on unfinished projects, some pro built boats are excellent, others are crap, it’s all over the map.
True, pro's especially ofttimes are under production pressure which can cause errors in production methods.  Triac composites, for example, (makers of SeaRail and Rapido) left holes in my daggerboard trunk which caused lots of water to flood into the bilge.  It was/is fixable (still dealing with it, but its down to a trickle finally); but there really isn't a guarantee that a boat-particularly a trimaran, will be executed perfectly when the builder pays his bills with non boat production.  Further, the production company is not obligated to stand behind their production and may not do so -- especially if hull production occurs in a different country than the assembler.   I'm not especially happy with Triac, as you can imagine.   As I said before, though, I expect a Rapido will get better inspections during construction than my boat got.  One of the things Ian Farrier was "nuts" about was quality control during production--I think he was right, it's important.

boardhead

Anarchist
With the pressure on to build quality but cheap there will be few capable experts involved, hands on, to oversee low hourly cost labor that was  employed doing something totally different prior.

John Shuttleworths’ most remarkable build, the 65’ Brittany Ferries, took two years of his life directing skilled carpenters with no pre-conceived ideas of composite construction blindly following his instruction to accomplish that amazing end product matching his design weights.

The correct balance is tough to achieve.

Mizzmo

Anarchist
Monterey, CA
Interesting. Note that Geico automatically depreciates the value of components on your boat down 10% every year after it becomes 20years old. Probably not an issue for you though.

C Buck

Comprehensive insurance used to be a good deal in the UK way back in the early 80’s when I first owned a trimaran, even including a short handed, double Atlantic crossing the premium was under $300 annually. I was shocked when it came time to place cover with an American company, four fold the cost just for coastal coverage, I guess the UK and Oz caught up.

If you build your own boat you are probably not going to let anyone else fix it so comprehensive coverage becomes pointless and liability insurance is a fraction of the cost. If you are not prepared to take the risk and self insure your own vessel why would you expect an insurance company to take the chance.

Sadly a procession of major losses by incompetent skippers have driven rates sky high, I recall reading a report of one total loss of a cruising cat run aground on a Bahamian reef whose direct route failed to take it into account - Columbus spotted it!

Insurance companies are in business to make a profit.
I'm with ya Boardhead. I've got a few quotes from UK insurers, and made my pick from those. Seems they weren't hit too hard by the hurricanes, so can afford cheaper premiums!

A good article here, and if you click on their homepage, you can get some quotes from them too:
https://compareyachtinsurance.com/the-ultimate-guide/

hdra

Anarchist
Hey C Buck, buy an ad!  The opposite actually seems to be true in the real world - we've found that UK/Europe based Insurers (Allianz, Lloyd's) have massively increased premiums and/or stopped providing coverage below certain values, and that US/Caribbean based insurers are providing better value or at least more options.  Lloyd's in particular got hammered and is taking it out on their clients.

boardhead

Anarchist
I insure with an American company, haven't shopped offshore prices recently so not aware of their prices, like I said, they were a better deal years ago - early '80's - for ever ago!

Anyway, what about these Rapido's?

Anything new Paul?

And if anyone wants a really quick, currently insured 40' tri right now give me a bell.

Paul Koch

HCMC Vietnam
I insure with an American company, haven't shopped offshore prices recently so not aware of their prices, like I said, they were a better deal years ago - early '80's - for ever ago!

Anyway, what about these Rapido's?

Anything new Paul?

And if anyone wants a really quick, currently insured 40' tri right now give me a bell.
The response from interested parties for  the Rapido 40 in particular has been massive ! Here are a couple more Higher res pics to keep you interested !

RT40_001_J2_side viewjpgrelease.jpg