RC Sailboats

Here's a pic of my CR914 and my 12M. Built a friend's CR914 in one day (yellow one)m while he races in Key West. Hoping to get down to NOODS or Miami Race Week. Anyone need crew? I'm Dyin ova heah!!!

BTW Flip, your shit stains are still on the bathroom wall next to this room where pic was taken..... Later brother..... Heading to FT. ************ next wed. Hope to hook up...

RC_racers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey POOOCH, How many times has your other half asked you to move your boats away from in front of the TV?

Just like to see a RC forum that's easier to find?

Keep up the building though, I'm going to get close to racing one of you guys in the future - it's fate, gotta be.

Hey Pooch, any links to groups doing the rc sailing?? and what boats are most popular?? I would love to do a early 80's AC boat like Coruagious, going to try to meet up with a group here in NC next week to see what they are using. Have been wanting to try it for years and now looking searious at it.

Any info appreciated.

Regards

The magenta one is a scale model of Stars and Stripes that DC sailed in 1987?. Way heavy with 7.5 lbs. of lead in the keel alone. Had to tear apart shotgun shells (7 1/2 shot) and fill keel up and epoxy before even mounting it to the hull. Victor Model yachts is the manufacturer, but I would recommend building a CR for more speed , fun and overall performance. Takes good breeze to get the 12m AC boat moving well, but moves ok. The CR 914 (green and yellow ones) haul ass in light breeze and can sail well even up to 20+ knots breeze and the plane. I've built 2 CR's, the AC boat and in the midst of building a trimaran from stratch. They get easier each time. Definitely a good way to kill time and get to play with the final product. rcyachts.com is the website for the american distributor (chesapeake performance is company). Great tips that make the difference in a build. Good luck and PM me if you needmore help.

The very first RC Yacht I ever built was a boat called "Delphin" by Billing boats UK, and still to this day the now 24 Year Old still graces the Mantle piece.

Wicked boat in it's day performance wise, especially uphill.

Then I built just about all of the Top Point scorers from the Admirals Cup during the eightie's, including Panda, Drakes Prayer, Shockwave, Extension and so on.

90's brought about IMS and especially planning boats, which ultimately lead to my "Wildcard" inspired boats.

Best advice I can give anyone is pick on a Class that is supported in your local area, then have a go at scratch building a model of your favourite boat around the same size as your class boat and see how the perform against each other. Very Satisfying.

Scotty_with_Cat.jpg

DaveK

Super Anarchist
On a side note.....

I bought a Victoria. I had to go with the flow on what they race here in Austin. Anyways, The stock sails suck and I can buy new ones for cheap. But, I'd like to play with making my own. Experiment with a tri-radial jib for example. So, I've been looking for sail plans, drawings, tips and tricks for the past few days. Not much out there. You can pay people $55 an hour to make you plans... no. The art of sail making even, at this level is kept quiet. I'm a sailor not, a sail maker and would like to learn how to make a main with a luff curve that follows the mast bend or just play. Sail material for these cost nothin.

Any ideas on where to look would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks

DaveK

Mr. Squirrel

Super Anarchist
On a side note.....
I bought a Victoria. I had to go with the flow on what they race here in Austin. Anyways, The stock sails suck and I can buy new ones for cheap. But, I'd like to play with making my own. Experiment with a tri-radial jib for example. So, I've been looking for sail plans, drawings, tips and tricks for the past few days. Not much out there. You can pay people $55 an hour to make you plans... no. The art of sail making even, at this level is kept quiet. I'm a sailor not, a sail maker and would like to learn how to make a main with a luff curve that follows the mast bend or just play. Sail material for these cost nothin.

Any ideas on where to look would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks

DaveK

Dave,

I found a free sail design program called Sailcut http://sailcut.sourceforge.net/ . There are two versions of it, but the one on Source Forge is the way to go. If you need help getting started with the program let me know.

Also, many people use the sailmaking blocks. You can find them on Ebay or on the Vendors site of AMYA.org.

The 2006 Vic Nationals are June 24-26 in Bakersfield, CA.

Finally, have you found the Vic Resource Center and the Victoria Yahoo discussion group.

PM me if you have any questions

MS

DaveK

Super Anarchist
Thanks Squirrel!! I'll check that out. There having a "frostbite" regatta down in Houston this weekend. A pretty big 3 day event but, I can't believe they actually call it "frostbite". I also joined the local and national Yahoo sites. Mine is still in peices but, I sailed one of theres last weekend.

Thanks again

DaveK

Mr. Squirrel

Super Anarchist
Dave,

We have some very good builders here in MI. I am waiting on pics from a friend we took last night. They are of a VERY cool, very light internal reinforcing structure. Also, you may have read about the "Twitcher". We are working on a FAQ for twitchers that will allow you to make it if you want. A twitcher is a carbon rod that helps hold the sail wing/wing instead of using a counter-weight or other device.

THIS is frostbiting

MS

2005TT11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: