Really sick of the AC "coverage" on SA these days

MauganTornado

Super Anarchist
Specifically the front page. Nothing new, nothing insightful, no "insider reports" or anything really worth reading other than just making fun of it, complaining about it or calling it a disaster.... sad really as I'd come to expect that SA would be fully invested in the revamp of the perpetual blue hairs mug.

Anyways, i've got my tickets for the first week of the finals... can't wait to be there and see these beautiful machines in person.

I guess I started this thread to see if there are still people out there like me who couldn't care less about ruddergate, Luna Rossa's latest antics or whatever else that Scot or Clean wish to gripe about --and are still excited to watch sailing finally evolve into a modern day sport.

I've got 8 non-sailor friends joining me throughout the week while I'm there and they're all stoked to check it out as well.

Stanuel

Exactly.

Kinda obvious after looking at other sites that are relatively balanced in there reporting. There definetly something personal going on here I think.

Sure there's a shit fight and stupid drama going on...but the technology and sailors involved are just mind blowing, any "reporter" or someone into sailing would have to say these are incredible times. Maybe not to unlike the J era?!

Why not post some of the incredible footage we see in these forums?! Why not??

And yes it sucks all this stuff holding back the cup at moment, but maybe it is actually not that unusual in the history of the cup? Something to remember.

It's just mind blowing these boats and what the sailors are doing with them, maybe never to be seen again?!

972190_605696159452566_170952696_n.jpg
This seems to sum up SA attitude about sailing lately, not just the America's Cup. Reading the front page, one would get the impression that the site wants to discourage people from sailing, rather than be a part of it. At least 2 out of 3 articles are either negative or are about something bad happening.

AClass USA 230

Anarchist
Louisiana
+1000, I'm looking forward to the show despite all of it's imperfections and controversy. I got to see ETNZ, Oracle, and Artemis (AC 45) on the water a few weeks ago while racing another regatta in Alameda and they were all a sight to see. Wish I could return for the actual racing. I love how this event is being raced by sailors who are also awesome athletes. Tends to knock the blue bloods that tend to control the direction of our sport in the US on their old fat asses.

blowboat

Maybe not that hard to figure out. They are being sued. They are looking around to see who their friends are. Now if your generous in helping they love you. If your not, well.....

Reminds me of the statistics from the Howard Stern Show.

Listeners that liked Howard listened for 1:30.

Listeners that hated Howard Listened or 2:30.

Why is it when people hate something they spend so much energy pointing out how much they disapprove.

Guidelines for AC Anarchy:

Scroll down threads until you see a picture. Pictures and Video are the best part.

Ignore all posts of users with less than 200 posts.

Ignore all posts trying to explain why one boat is faster.

Ignore all posts claiming one team is incompetent, All members of these teams are at the top of their profession.

Ignore all posts with pictures and yellow lines drawn on them. It was s silly phase we went through.

roca

Anarchist
italy
sorry but any single sailing site or blog is the same all around the world , in any Language, any continent,

there is not even two sides to watch what happening, not even two prospectives.

check yachtingworld, scuttlebut, vsail, FV, NZ herald ...etc.etc. there is only one possible view:
how could they take AC so low, how could such a disaster happen, how con they not even understand what wreck this is,

It is only here that you few 3 or 4 irreducible blinded OR poodles keep trying to answer back rephrasing and confusing the facts....

the rest of the world is only sick of this shamful show being carried on without an end

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
sorry but any single sailing site or blog is the same all around the world , in any Language, any continent,

check yachtingworld, scuttlebut, vsail, FV, NZ herald ...etc.etc. there is only one possible view:

how could they take AC so low, how could such a disaster happen, how con they not even understand what wreck this is,

It is only here that you few 3 or 4 irreducible blinded OR poodles keep trying to answer back rephrasing and confusing the facts....

the rest of the world is only sick of this shamful show being carried on without an end

WetHog

davidprobable

Super Anarchist
Is it just me or does the spelling and grammar in these posts reflect a gene pool tied to Snaggie? Has he been procreating?

pberning

I don't usually dive into this cesspool, but I for one am sick of the "Oracle is cheating" bullcrap.

It's all based on bad assumptions and innuendo. I've read pages of this crap and I have yet to see a meaningful argument (i.e. more than "I know more than you do") that proves that the suggested rudder changes help Oracle in any way, nor have I seen any indication that it was Oracle that suggested the changes.

I swear if I hear another kiwi say "ETNZ has stable foiling and OR doesn't" I'll shoot somebody. OR boat 2 doesn't foil to your liking? Give me a break.

Delta Blues

Super Anarchist
Yup sailing is just growing in leaps and bounds. We don't have to be concerned with people bashing on sailing, we have plenty more boats coming online each day. We don't have any "image" problems. No encouragement or upbeat articles are needed to make all of this sport happen. <_<

Thank SA for containing the astronomical growth this sport is going through, any more boats out there and there won't be room left on the ocean.

AClass USA 230

Anarchist
Louisiana
+1000, I'm looking forward to the show despite all of it's imperfections and controversy

Do you get excited watching a poker game with a stacked deck?
Not the first time we have seen the perception or reality (depending upon your viewpoint) of a stacked deck in the AC. Just look at the behavior of the New York Yacht Club in the 12 meter days during defender trials and the finals and what Ernie B tried to do after 2007 that initiated the LE/GGYC challenge. At least the technology this time around is fascinating to watch even when one boat is sailing. It's interesting to speculate if LE and RC had known how successful the AC45 racing would really be, they might have come up with a smaller and less expensive box rule for the finals. If Oracle wins, I believe the event will stay in a smaller multihull.

As the OP points out, and the above post as example - I can thank SA for being such a huge disappointment and pile of shit over the AC coverage and updates. (Not to mention the absolute rubbish on the front page of late)

If they weren't failing so badly, I never would've discovered the many other options on the web for useful information in this sport.

Goodbye SA. It's been interesting.... I'll wait for somebody to tell me when it's a decent site again. If ever.

weightless

Super Anarchist
Front page? For the best signal to noise ratio link the forum and scroll down to the Spotting thread.

Chris 249

Super Anarchist
The whole "new" AC thing started with negativity.

Negativity towards the boats in earlier ACs, that attracted far more entries.

Negativity towards the style of racing in earlier ACs.

Negativity in the implications by Coutts etc that the earlier ACs were not the pinnacle of the sport.

Negativity towards the fact that earlier boats couldn't sail in all conditions (although the new ones are worse in that respect).

Negativity towards the skill required by older boats, like IM's call that the new boats "races will become a true test of skill and strategy, not just speed" as if it took no skill or strategy to sail the old boats.

Negativity towards monos and mono supporters, who were called "delusional", "luddites", "dinosaurs", "monoslugs", "shitboxes", "boring", "jealous, thwarted, disgruntled, egoists" on forums.

Negativity to those who pointed out that it was almost completely unknown (maybe totally unknown) for one discipline of a sport to take a trophy from another and larger discipline of a sport. And yes, the furore about the (incorrect) dumping of the cats from the Olympics showed that cat sailing organisations and leading cat sailors say that cat sailing IS a separate discipline to mono sailing. So there was such a massive amount of negativity thrown around by those in favour of the switch to the new boats that they can't complain when others are negative in return.

It would be great if people were positive. That way they could respect other sailors' taste in boats without calling them "momorons" or "luddites", respect other types of boats without calling them "monoslugs" or "dinosaurs", and respect the rights of mono sailors to have mono-only events just as there are multi-only events and kite-only events and board-only events. It would be nice if people would create new events (which is what other disciplines and sports do) rather than being negative and taking over existing events from the types that have made them what they are. It would also be positive if people could drop tags and lines that are negative towards other types, like ones claiming that fast gear is better, or names like "Monomuncher" or "catsrule".

But it seems that people are more interested in being negative, which IS sad. No wonder the sport is declining.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts