Refinish blistered rudder blade

Dino

Anarchist
Ireland
Hi, the rudder blade on my sportsboat came with a cover. Unfortunately, the rudder got damp while in the bag and now the entire blade is covered in tiny blisters. I need to refinish the blade but should I just sand it and then paint it or do I need to regel it?

Anyone got any good links to website/videos that show how to do this... Also what are the best products?

Thanks....

jerryj2me

Super Anarchist
Wood, fiberglass, carbon fiber silly putty?

Paint, varnish, gel coat, or invisibility cloak?

need to know a lot more on what it is and what it is finished in....

Dino

Anarchist
Ireland
It's fibreglass/GRP... It's a Laser SB3 rudder blade. I'm not sure what's inside but it's probably foam and glassfibre. The outside is bare white gelcoat. The blisters are very low and small.

Foghorn77

Super Anarchist
It's fibreglass/GRP... It's a Laser SB3 rudder blade. I'm not sure what's inside but it's probably foam and glassfibre. The outside is bare white gelcoat. The blisters are very low and small.
I had a laser C board that had the same problem. The blisters disappeared when the board was left in the sun (supported evenly). I thought there would be voids to sand and fill ,but it looked good as new.

jerryj2me

Super Anarchist
hmmm, sounds like it is product specific - try contacting the manufacturer?

Also how deep is thins stuff, this does not sound like any osmotic (sp?) blistering seen in below the waterline GRP hulls.