Refurb 1988 Moody 376

ropetrick

Super Anarchist
If you don't spin the blocks around you'll lose purchase because you're not using the lower sheave anymore.
Put a triple on the boom and gain some purchase.

Or put the block with becket on the boom and dead end there.

Whatever, it's just rope tricks.

Last edited by a moderator:

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
Well from the Google this is what some chap decided to do to make the mainsheets in his Moody work. He fixed the traveler controls at the same time. I think that's one of those double ended 2 speed systems on 8:1, but it's not easy to see in that image.

I'd leave it for now and go sailing. See if it's really a problem for you.

5.jpg

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
Busy day,  second coat of AF went on and then I pulled the painters tape off. Nice clean lines.  I also went with the intention of cutting the window openings for the new windows and get that project lined up.  

Unfortunately in the process of removing my temporary windows. They broke.  So my hand was forced and I spent half the day installing two windows.  Went smoother than I anticipated.  

pleasantly surprised as to how aggressively the vhb tape grabbed.

i still need to build some trim inside to hide the cut edge.

2 down 2 to go...and an added plus, it’s supposed to rain Monday night so when I get back to the boat on Wednesday.  We’ll see if we have any leaks.

06788458-8B5F-43D6-AA88-65F8C05C8A61.jpeg

26DE70FE-D453-4215-AFA3-13CCA2C77C27.jpeg

29A848AF-F4EE-495D-B5A2-10BDD12368DA.jpeg

FA106EB8-10BD-4CB2-A0F5-3AF138438648.jpeg

873B1420-4884-4A18-A539-BEA2BB098DFC.jpeg

2B62C12A-EA4B-49EF-BC9E-536748E318BB.jpeg

8B85D377-FC5E-49B6-9761-562E8660AB10.jpeg

6DEA828F-17C5-4DED-B4D3-4F54DF87F27B.jpeg

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
boot stripe done,  reinstalled the lewmar hatch in the forward head with new glass/gasket and removed the hatch from the main cabin to effect similar glass and gasket replacement.  weather wasn't conducive for working on the cabin fixed windows. no sun and not warm.

toyed with the engine a bit,  still not playing nice even after fixing the fuel leak...

got the new fuel and water tank filler caps and gaskets.  boat was re-positioned on the stands so I can put AF on the unpainted spots and  prime and AF the underside of the keel were the blocks were.

cove stripes as well this weekend.  Still not overly pleased with the AF color,  it stated dark blue and its very very black looking.  not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things though..

boot1.jpg

boot2.jpg

ropetrick

Super Anarchist
Bottom paint will change color after it is in the water. Probably very dark with a suggestion of blue.

Looks good!   Quite a transformation.

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
Put the cove and cabin stripes on.   Went to install the zinc on the hull. And it went poorly.   Ended up having to cut the nuts off and drive the studs out, then Rebed new ones.  Also installed the new compass/binnacle on the pedestal.  Installed the fuel level sensor for the tank tender which involved drilling and tapping the top.  Added new glass and new gaskets to one of the hatches. Two down and two more to go.

F31A12FB-243A-42CF-8E46-0241F360105A.jpeg

DFDCD987-D4BB-4D75-8C86-32694611BF64.jpeg

B16FA69B-E86D-4E74-B495-4ED7BD2E4E29.jpeg

D58A1B6C-D3FB-4DA6-B8B2-4E4B3A732B28.jpeg

6B2218E6-BAD3-4BE3-95A8-74886362B40B.jpeg

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
Pulled the companionway hatch off, cleaned the tracks put new felt in and resealed under the hatch were I had an on again off again drip, filled and flushed the water tanks twice, Did a final sand/fit on the corner pieces I made for the aft cabin, so it’s ready for paint, port side cove stripes, replaced glass and gasket on a port light, cut and prepped for window replacement (Wednesday) washed bird shit off of cabin and decks

only 4 more work days until launch, if it goes on the 31, otherwise it could be 5 or 6 work day if it launches the 1st or 2nd

jon,  I’m  motivated, things are looking good, things are working, At the end of the day I can see progress, and that kind of positivity helps a lot.  Daylight and warmer weather help too.

slick,  It won’t win any awards at pebble beach, and there are more than a few feet of stripes that I’d like to have back.  looking at her from the ground up  isn’t exactly the most flattering angle either  but from 20 feet away, she’ll do...

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
Likely one of my longest days.  Left home at 6 returned at 930

port she fixed windows are now done, fitted the primed corner pieces I fabricated in the aft cabin, finished the job of resealing the sliding hatch garage, removed the anchor chain from boat and replaced it with 150’ of line and 30’ of chain, and waxed the topsides.

Raining today, so I’m going to stay home and work on sewing cushions.  It’s about the only thing I can lift right now 

Tuesday is next visit, and items that haven’t been on the boat in ages will return    Sails, docklines, sheets, mainsail cover, life jackets, possible the ugly dodger

launch is still scheduled for Wednesday Thursday or Friday 

engine still won’t start  but am on the mechanics schedule

7D455A9A-1798-4CD9-9DBF-CE1CFA109D6C.jpeg

DBA11367-7BE4-4242-997A-8202383C254D.jpeg

195774BD-7710-4F7A-8690-A4AB28A63573.jpeg

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
I was looking at sunbrella, and outdura, but apparently the rona has fucked that up and supplies are very limited.   So I ended up at Joann’s fabric and found this material called solarium which is “occasional outdoor” fabric.    But at half the cost of sunbrella and outdura , we’ll see.    Being that it’s going to be inside the cabin. Should be ok... 

also loaded sails onboard today, and installed the dodger and fixed a couple new plumbing leaks, offloaded crap off the boat and....got the engine running again.  Thought I was gonna have to resort to the professionals, but gave it the old college try one last time.

https://youtu.be/v_qjvrIp1VM

https://youtu.be/ujrkNRR0Nik

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
She’s in, just long enough for the cold water to touch her nether regions she got scared and retreated back to dry land.  Sigh...  stupid stupid stupid.

knotmeter thruhull leaked and that’s not a repair I can make in the water.  It was leaking around the threads  around the nut that holds it to hull.  Badk on dry land unscrewed the nut on both depth and knot meter and easily pushed them out of the hull.  30 bucks and an hour later. Problem solved.  

Earliest launch date is now may 3,  I am on the standby list, which means it could happen tomorrow or next month. 

Such and easy fix.....sigh

i was walking with the boat to the launch. Happy nervous anxious,  but ready.    Seeing the water coming in, felt like I was getting dumped by my high school  crush.  Following the boat back to the jackstands I was Like a puppy that just got its nose swatted  by a rolled up newspaper.  Ears down, tail between my legs...

ropetrick

Super Anarchist
Nothing to be ashamed of, that was some old sealant. At least you have a yard crew that checks for leaks.

She will be right next trip. I'll bet some beer and cash tip might get her in sooner.

Good Luck!

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
The sealant was some brown rust colored stuff that had the consistency of old plumbers putty. Both the hull and the transducer housings cleaned up easily.  

Fingers crossed that my name gets pulled out of the hat for a standby launch.  

I was on the boat for the launch.  And had all the floor boards and storage areas open and thruhulls exposed...

well better it happened at launch and not a week later  sitting at dock while I’m at work