Super Anarchist
Washington DC
Aft bulkhead insulation done.  

6EA92379-8311-4E9E-A844-532D57EEA346.jpeg

B30A353C-782D-43EE-91D7-4052838CD4AA.jpeg

eric1207

Anarchist
Seattle
Marc.  I thought I'd mention the fire extinguisher in your engine room.   Shouldn't it be mounted outside the compartment?  That is the code for land based installations.  If it goes up in flames it will you won't be able to access it.  Perhaps you have one outside as well, so carry on.

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
@eric1207  the one in the engine bay is an automatic halon.

i have 2 10b on board as well.  One in the galley exposed and easy to reach, which is also near the propane shutoff switch, but not in the line of fire if there was a fire on the stove. And the second 10b is in the cockpit locker.

Slick470

Super Anarchist
Virginia
I'm partial to satin finishes over high gloss in general so I definitely like that better. What did you use for the varnish on those panels?

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
Only three more boards and the ladder to go.   Found a couple Pinhole  leaks in th cockpit sole while I was working on the engine bay sound insulation.  Need a dry day to properly plug the holes before the foam flooring goes in the cockpit and the rest of the insulation.

9EC37A30-B13D-4DF6-8780-67456357A964.jpeg

ED312A24-A37D-4984-BC50-F11E5276398F.jpeg

F248269D-7B4E-4528-A46A-C6D7710784E5.jpeg

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
Marc, if you're not careful, you're gonna wind up with a really nice boat there mate!
Everyone has seen pics, but you are one of the few people that saw the shit storm in person early on while we are still on the hard.  It had definitely come a long way since august 2020.

I need to figure out a solution to the de-laminated veneer, there are a few spots where it need some tlc and I'm not sure how to address.....  cut it out and try to scarf in a new piece or inject some glue under it  and try to glue it back down so I can sand and refinish...

or some other idea...

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
Lex,

It didn't really hide the rays on the boards outside the engine bay.  toned them down a smidge, not as "shimmery"    the other boards in the galley/ladder area not any rays...

working on the final three boards now and the ladder.

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
Fuck me.     How does this happen.     Final coat.  Two different cans of helmsman.   Both clear satin.  Same roller.  Same prep.   Same conditions. Cans came out of the same batch from the factory.    The new can is on the left. Old can on the right.   Cans were purchased a few days apart.  
 Work was done at 8pm last night. So ten hours   Dry to touch no tack

2D964901-6E0C-4F85-AE21-820A76D5152D.jpeg

JohnMB

Super Anarchist
Evanston
Fuck me.     How does this happen.     Final coat.  Two different cans of helmsman.   Both clear satin.  Same roller.  Same prep.   Same conditions. Cans came out of the same batch from the factory.    The new can is on the left. Old can on the right.   Cans were purchased a few days apart.  
 Work was done at 8pm last night. So ten hours   Dry to touch no tack

View attachment 509690
Distribution of matting agent. The satin finish is created with a fine powder suspended in the PU. if you don't keep it mixed in you end up with uneven distribution of the matting agent. When using from one can you wont notice because the change is gradual, but when changing cans you can get a difference especially if you end up with an excess of the matting agent at the bottom of the old can, and not enough mixed in at the top of the new can.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
@JohnMB thats what I have heard from others. 

had a similar problem on the first board I did.  Which I attributed to mixing brushes up on glass and satin   Likely was just a poor stir job. 

Just need to do a better job stirring. 

Latest posts