Refurb 1988 Moody 376

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC

a friend brought his  drone and took some shots...not much wind...

When i was working on the engine sound insulation.  i found a couple drips of water  on the overhead, which is the cockpit sole.  did a test drill from below....and found mush....  3/4" ply.  well it was 3/4" ply

So now the decision... repair from above or below.  the area will be covered with a foam "teak" product so the topside appearance isn't important...

plan is to take a mallet and sound out the area and see how far the mush is by sound... and then decide from their to go in from the top or bottom...

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
cut out and replaced  ended up being 1/2" end grain balsa rather than the ply which I could see under the pedestal. 

had to Frankenstein a couple pieces of coosa to get them under the lips around the cockpit floor mounting bolts.

used west with adhesive filler  buttered everything up nice, and was able to reuse the old skin that I cut off.

used a few sandbags and a 5 gallon bucket of water to compress everything while it set up.

IMG_3472.jpg

IMG_3473.jpg

IMG_3474.jpg

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
that's the challenge...  I work so I can afford the boat.  get plenty of sleep,  working on a boat makes you tired.  get my calories mostly via liquid.  which also helps with the sleep...  

I enjoy the project aspect of it.  last three weekend were spent at work 10 college commencements and one alumni weekend).  So now that hell is behind us, more time can be spent sailing.  I have been out half a dozen times this year.  Spent the night on the boat sat nite,  went sailing for about 5-6 hours on sunday.  have some weekend destinations planned in the near future. 

Pops is coming up in september and I thin he and I will take a week to tool a round the bay

we are in cruiser mode now,  I took a bunch of extraneous tools and stuff home. yesterday. brought some linens to the  boat stocked up the refer and snack bar.

honestly  some of the stuff I'm doing is not mission critical.  I went all season last year with an ugly cockpit.  Its a 30 year old boat, projects never stop...

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
No drone shots today... possible new to me asym. Might be a smidge small though. Looking at another on Wednesday. That might be larger

This one came off of a j34c.

Luff 45.5’
Leech 41.25
Food 24.5

191ED0EF-ED82-471F-8E2C-C6688576C96D.jpeg

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
@SloopJonB so help be figure it out... i was at the transom taking the photo zoomed all the way out so it looks real small in the pic..

what should be the size i'm looking at for my moody...

I 47, J 15 P 41.3 E 14.1 forestay 49.3

on the j34c which this sail came from, mast head rig
i 45.7, J 13.5 P 40.5 E 15 forestay 47.6

I figure I'm likley giving up about 3' in the luff and leech, and maybe two in the foot., the snuffer is also taking away a bit at the top... maybe losing 100 sq ft

I doubt I'd spend any real money on the next size up. this one Ive taken in trade for some canvass work..

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
That's about 25% - a hell of a lot on a light air sail.

However free (or nearly so) is very good.

Essentially only you can answer your question.

FWIW I'd never give up that much area - but I sail in a very light wind area.

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
@SloopJonB not counting for girth. Area betweenthe triangle leech luff and foot is 521sqft. Adding 3’ to leach and luff and 2 in the foot gives area of 600sq

Not an insignificant amount... I should have measured the girth when I had it spread out on the lawn.

For my cruising “needs” it will have to do... plus as a single/short handed smaller would be a bit easier to wrestle around.

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
No smoke, but apparently a smidge of a meltdown. When to unplug on Saturday and was a very hard pull. Power pedestal and shore side of the plug looked fine. no so much on the boat end of the cord.

Looked behind the boat connection and checked all the connections, looked fine. Did a scuff job on the male prongs on the boat.

ordering a new plug to get through the season, and will likely switch over to the smart plug and wire it all up when on the hard

68399633087__EA8EC201-8DC6-428C-8E9D-2F6D3F57AFBE.jpg

IMG_4106.jpg

IMG_4105.jpg

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
Well the season has come to an end.... pulled the sails off the boat yesterday. Since next weekend forecast is calling for rain... Haul out scheduled for dec 7
Beyond the customary winterization work...

Some of the Other Winter work that I’d like to get done

New shore power outlet
Some sanding and refinishing of the interior bright work.
Scuff sand and repaint antifoul
Repair damaged cove stripe
Replace a couple seacock/thruhull
Minor modifications to the stack pack and lazy jacks
Replace rear main seal on motor.
Recut/modify new to me Genoa and main