Remake of The Princess Bride

IrieMon

Super Anarchist
How about a spin-off of the Dread Pirate Roberts ?    Just don't mess with the original storyline....

Windward

Super Anarchist
How about a spin-off of the Dread Pirate Roberts ?    Just don't mess with the original storyline....
If I were a betting sort I'd say you nailed it.

Build up the buzz and angst, then roll out something like Prince Humperdinks revenge.  Win win for the studio and free PR.

bacq2bacq

Anarchist
Ottawa
Last year, my sister finally married her cohort of many years, a fine fellow with a Doctor of Divinity degree who since realized the error of his ways.  The ceremony began with an audio clip from TPB: "Mawudge...."

Last fortnight, my father died.  My final physical act with him was to put my ear near his mouth, pushing gently on his chest, listening attentively for "Twoo blathe...."

You can't "re-make" the Princess Bride.  They may make some other movie, but it won't be TPB. 

C-Dog

Any time I get a "request" (ok, they used to call these "nags") from my wife the response is always "as you wish". She knows the reference too, so it works. Gets me out of doing a lot of stuff, but not always. And yes, I'm in the "no remake" camp, although if they didn't monkey with the script then maybe? The writing was the core of that movie, and there are lots of competent actors - it might work if it were well cast and directed and... yeah, ok, no remake.

Derek Grebe

Super Anarchist
Dubai, UAE
Any time I get a "request" (ok, they used to call these "nags") from my wife the response is always "as you wish". She knows the reference too, so it works. Gets me out of doing a lot of stuff, but not always. And yes, I'm in the "no remake" camp, although if they didn't monkey with the script then maybe? The writing was the core of that movie, and there are lots of competent actors - it might work if it were well cast and directed and... yeah, ok, no remake.
you got there in the end....!

Derek Grebe

Super Anarchist
Dubai, UAE
Last year, my sister finally married her cohort of many years, a fine fellow with a Doctor of Divinity degree who since realized the error of his ways.  The ceremony began with an audio clip from TPB: "Mawudge...."

Last fortnight, my father died.  My final physical act with him was to put my ear near his mouth, pushing gently on his chest, listening attentively for "Twoo blathe...."

You can't "re-make" the Princess Bride.  They may make some other movie, but it won't be TPB. 
"MAWIDGE", as uttered by the late great Peter Cook, the creator of 'Derek Grebe', and him of my Avatar...

Ishmael

Fuctifino
And no fucking cartoon characters.

More Cowbell2

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
Count Rugen: Are you coming down into the pit? Westly's got his strength back, I'm starting him on the machine tonight.
Prince Humperdinck: Tyron. You know how much I love watching you work, but I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder, and Gilda to blame for it. I'm swamped.

Westley: Give us the gate key.
Yellin: I have no gate key.
Inigo Montoya: Fezzik, tare his arms off.
Yellin: Oh you mean THIS gate key.

Last edited by a moderator:

On The Hard

Super Anarchist
San Antonio
 The writing was the core of that movie, and there are lots of competent actors - 
Both true, but that movie could have been a complete disaster on SO many levels. There was a magic in the casting that made that movie an enduring success. No other combination of actors, I believe strongly, could have pulled it off. 

Last edited by a moderator:

C-Dog

Both true, but that movie could have been a complete disaster on SO many levels. There was a magic in the casting that made that movie an enduring success. No other combination of actors, I believe strongly, could have pulled it off. 
You're absolutely right, and that's what brought me back to the no-remake camp. To still try to be fair, though, there have been great remakes. Yes, we know how and why the cycle happens - that's another thread. But there are some movies that should be immune from it and this is one. Even so, exercise your imagination for casting, just for the hell of it - I'll start with Dwayne Johnson taking over for Andre - I really think he could do it.

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
- I'll start with Dwayne Johnson taking over for Andre - I really think he could do it.
um, no. I like the guy but it would be a parody of an iconic role. Think Steve Martin as Inspector Jacques Clouseau - comedic genius wasted in a stupid effort to recreate something that can't be done.

"The Front Page" is an interesting case.  Made 4 times.  The third one with Cary Grant and Rosalind Russel is the one to see.  The fourth one gets high points for one line about divorce and Margret Thatcher, but Burt Reynolds is no Cary Grant, and much as I love her and lust for her, Kathleen Turner does not have the slyness of Rosalind Russel.  They kept the frantic pace, but lost a lot of the wit.

So how do you score that one?  First remake by Billy Wilder slayed the original by Howard Hughes.  Second remake by Howard Hawks put in one twist that made it a truly great film and "the fastest talkie ever made."  The forth film (third remake) was a journeyman effort, but certainly no better than the Hawks version.  

One and a half for three remakes?

bmiller

Super Anarchist
Buena Vista, Colorado
Shootist Jeff said:
I'm also in the no remake camp.  I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but the numbers of remakes that were as good or better than the original are rare, me thinks.  There's only a few that springs to mind where the remake was as good or better than the original.

• True Grit (Jeff Bridges)
Way better in my opinion, book was still better. 

I visited the meadow from the last gunfight in the original. 

IMG_0362-X2.jpg

bmiller

Super Anarchist
Buena Vista, Colorado
"The Front Page" is an interesting case.  Made 4 times.  The third one with Cary Grant and Rosalind Russel is the one to see.  The fourth one gets high points for one line about divorce and Margret Thatcher, but Burt Reynolds is no Cary Grant, and much as I love her and lust for her, Kathleen Turner does not have the slyness of Rosalind Russel.  They kept the frantic pace, but lost a lot of the wit.

So how do you score that one?  First remake by Billy Wilder slayed the original by Howard Hughes.  Second remake by Howard Hawks put in one twist that made it a truly great film and "the fastest talkie ever made."  The forth film (third remake) was a journeyman effort, but certainly no better than the Hawks version.  

One and a half for three remakes?
How many times has A Christmas Carol been done?