Removing and Replacing (or not replacing) carpet on hull sides

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
The carpet on the hull sides of my Quickstep 24 is old, coming off in places and is just generally gross. I never overnight on the boat, so the interior is used mostly for storage, but I'd still like for it to look half decent. 

Most of the foam backing on the carpet has disintegrated to the point that it’s falling off on its own, but some of it is still stuck on pretty good. Any suggestions for softening the adhesive so I can remove the carpet and get a fresh start? FWIW, it looks like the adhesive was applied with a notched trowel. 

Then, what to do after that? Leaving the bare roving and adhesive remnants showing doesn't seem ideal. Although I'm sure the carpet will hide a multitude of sins, it feels like a lot of work just to get back to a sub-optimal solution. I've read that the hull sides will sweat if just painted, and I'm not sure I can really get enough of the adhesive off to make paint look decent anyway. 

Looking for suggestions...

and oh by the way for those who haven't seen the interior of a Quickstep 24, there's not a lot of room to maneuver. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
I’d replace with shag above the waterline, but maybe a close nap berber on the keel and rudder to minimize drag. 

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
If you search the forums, there are several threads on how to do this on older Beneteaus, wicked used foam baked vinyl that falls off once the foam dries out and fails.  I assume there is dried foam stuck in the adhesive?

Got a pic or two?

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
Here’s a picture of the scene of the crime. I’ve gotten all the carpet off. Man, would I like to find an alternative to carpet. 

D993E9B6-611B-46A5-8B06-04DB868389EE.jpeg

casc27

Super Anarchist
If you can get whatever horrid adhesive was used to stick the carpet on there, paint it. If not, find something better than carpet to reline it with. I hate carpet in these applications. 

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
How bout a foam camping or yoga mat for the bottom foot or so where you roll up against it?  Maybe just paint above that.