Removing rudder head and tiller

Okay, so last weekend the kid wondered what would happen when you’re backing up and you rotate the tiller through 360 degrees. Turns out the answer is “the rudder goes into the prop”. Awesome. Well now he knows that. 

So, in preparation for the dropping of the rudder, I need to remove the tiller and rudder head assembly from the top of the rudder stock. Fin type rudder on a Cascade 29. 

My question is, is there anything other than the assembly pictured below holding the rudder stock in the tube? I ask because I don’t want to accidentally drop it before I’m ready, but I also want to do most of the disassembly before putting on my wetsuit.

BDACEC0B-9570-42BE-8A13-1A9C555F0518.jpeg

B5A6B272-8E1C-4BB2-84C3-771D107B641A.jpeg

98F57278-816E-4BCD-81B3-83CDF193D2DC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Check inside the boat - follow that rudder tube from cockpit floor to hull. If it is continuous, than the only thing holding the rudder up is the rudder head bolts. Check that there is not a fourth bolt hiding under the autopilot beak. Whether your rudder floats or sinks no way to no until you free it from rudder head!

Check inside the boat - follow that rudder tube from cockpit floor to hull. If it is continuous, than the only thing holding the rudder up is the rudder head bolts. Check that there is not a fourth bolt hiding under the autopilot beak. Whether your rudder floats or sinks no way to no until you free it from rudder head!
@longy you nailed it, and probably saved me 30 minutes of banging and cursing while wearing a wetsuit. There is in fact a bolt hidden way back under the autopilot beak that I had not noticed.

Thanks!

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
@longy you nailed it, and probably saved me 30 minutes of banging and cursing while wearing a wetsuit. There is in fact a bolt hidden way back under the autopilot beak that I had not noticed.

Thanks!
Even after all the bolts are removed, the shaft may not move.  Mine had a slightly different rudder head but I ended up getting a guy from the yard to unstick it.  He used a gear puller to push the exposed shaft out.