Replacement Stanchions

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
Aluminum stanchions? Is that even legal? Curious, what kind of boat is this for?

Last edited by a moderator:

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
I was going to say something snarky but then I thought this is so off the wall, you probably have a really reason for it.

You might consider looking over Metal Supermarkets for 6061 aluminum tubing. This will be ridiculously inexpensive, but it won't have a taper. MS has schedule 40 and schedule 80 in 1" but you really need to nerd up on pipe sizing. We've used them for a spinnaker pole on an Olson 25. The tubing looks a little agricultural but it is stronger and 1/3 the price of the local chandlery.

MS will cut multiple pieces to your size (free) and UPS deliver; the only thing you'll have left is to drill the life line thru-hole and put a plastic cap on the end, or you could take it to a machinist and TIG weld a smooth end on. Spreadsheet that and it's probably less than Garhauer (stainless) or Signet.

slater-san

Anarchist
As I recall an O30 I sailed on a long time ago had aluminum stanchions. Pretty sure it came from Pacific Boats that way.

Ringmaster

Anarchist
Klacko Spars/Klacko Marine in Canada manufactures aluminum stanchions. They made the aluminum stanchions that were used on the Express line of boats and others that I don't remember. Aluminum stanchions are plenty strong because unlike stainless stanchions they are solid not hollow. They are stocked in clear anodizing but I think they will still do black on special order.

Klacko Spars/Klacko Marine in Canada manufactures aluminum stanchions. They made the aluminum stanchions that were used on the Express line of boats and others that I don't remember. Aluminum stanchions are plenty strong because unlike stainless stanchions they are solid not hollow. They are stocked in clear anodizing but I think they will still do black on special order.

Ringmaster,

Thank you so very much. I completely forgot about them.

Latest posts