Republicans have hit rock bottom

badlatitude

Super Anarchist

Homeland Security watchdog Cuffari faces rebukes from lawmakers in missing texts case​

Source: Washington Post

The Department of Homeland Security’s chief watchdog has rejected calls from leading Democratic legislators to recuse himself from the investigation into the erasure of text messages that Secret Service agents exchanged during the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol, drawing fresh rebukes from lawmakers on Tuesday.

Inspector General Joseph Cuffari said in a letter made public Tuesday that he would not share investigative documents or allow his top lieutenants to sit for transcribed interviews before House committees investigating the attack, nor would he provide documents that lawmakers requested. Cuffari said forcing him to step aside “has no legal basis" and “would upend the very independence that Congress has established for Inspectors General,” according to the letter he sent to House oversight committees on Aug. 8.

The House committees on Homeland Security and Oversight and Reform published his letter Tuesday, along with their response accusing Cuffari of delaying their inquiry into one of the most grievous attacks in U.S. history. Cuffari surprised legislators last month with a letter accusing the Secret Service of erasing text messages from the time of the attack after he had asked for them. But committee members soon learned that Cuffari and his staff had known about the missing messages for months, failed to notify Congress or the Homeland Security secretary and cancelled steps to retrieve them.

Lawmakers said the messages could contain crucial evidence because Secret Service agents shadow presidents and other top officials and may have witnessed their actions that day. “Your obstruction of the Committees’ investigations is unacceptable, and your justifications for this noncompliance appear to reflect a fundamental misunderstanding of Congress’s authority and your duties as an Inspector General,” Reps. Carolyn B. Maloney, chair of the House Committee on Oversight and Reform, and Bennie G. Thompson, chair of the Jan. 6 committee and the House Committee on Homeland Security, wrote to Cuffari Tuesday.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/08/16/missing-secret-service-texts-cuffari/

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
Have you ever met a Psychologist, or Psychiatrist that was NOT a little odd? NTTARWT!! :giggle:
Never ever marry one. I did (business pysch).

As she freely admitted later, almost all of them studied the field out of interest in trying to sort out their own shit, often unsuccessfully.

I am much happier with my second marriage. Not to a psych.

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
Had a roommate who was a psychiatric resident at UCSF. Used to tell me about the best suicide of the night. Took me to the resident’s poker game. They were really good at detecting bluffing but not so good at betting strategy. I broke even and I wasn’t great.

He was a big believer in drugs and didn’t think much of therapy. However patients would play with their medications because it was fun to be a little bit crazy and then pretty soon they were over the edge.

Last edited:

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
Have you ever met a Psychologist, or Psychiatrist that was NOT a little odd? NTTARWT!! :giggle:

Never ever marry one. I did (business pysch).

As she freely admitted later, almost all of them studied the field out of interest in trying to sort out their own shit, often unsuccessfully.

I am much happier with my second marriage. Not to a psych.
This, I once went out about 6 months with a psych nurse, after that time I realized she had been so immersed in an environment with such an alternate reality that she was almost as crazy as the people she was looking after.

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
She had no f’s to give before. I look forward to seeing her work going forward.

I respect Cheney for her January 6 committee work. However, she voted against the first impeachment and she was more pro-Trump than even Stefanik. She is now soon to be untethered from the Republican Party. And she has a married gay sister. So I'll be curious to see if that untethering changes her opinion on some of these SoCon nonsense issues. I hope so. I think some of this bigotry is loosely held and then only to own the libs and get elected. But maybe I'm wrong on that.