resealing cabin windows

Bowchow

Anarchist
The time has come to reseal the cabin windows on my 1981 Kalik 40. 

The original rubber molding that secures the glass to the frame is gone of course.. New plan is to goop it up with whatever the best stuff is... 

Has anyone does this recently? What kind of sealant did you use? Glass windows to a aluminum frame. I'll add pics shortly

IStream

Super Anarchist
Butyl is good sandwiched between two hard surfaces in close contact but I wouldn't use it for wide gaps.

Bowchow

Anarchist
Not so sure about the tape, as these windows sit at a 45 degree angle or so on the cabin top, and this is going to be visible from the inside. The water just pools on the outside where the frame meets the window, so I'm a little nervous about the long term adhesion properties of the tape in the tropical sun. 

Looks like dow 795 it is, along with a west spreader to get a nice looking bead. The red area needs to be filled. Huge area. Shit design. 

IMG_1094.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Foreverslow

Super Anarchist
what you want is window glazing spline.

CR Lawerence is big in this business and they have locations around the US.

You need to measure thickness of glass, the opening of the frame, and the depth of the inside of the frame.

You can then pick what profile you need.

https://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showline/default.aspx?GroupID=8985

they used to sell sample rings contain one of each spline so you could test it out on your window/frame.  May wish to ask their local office if they still do this.

MUCH cheaper to order 100 feet from them than to try and get 20 feet from a glass shop.  And you have a better selection to pick from.