Restarting America Means People Will Die. So When Should We Do It?

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
Well, I see that parody is lost on some here but back to actually address the theory the economy would boom if a lot of old people died - Many small businesses are owned by old folks, they actually invest monies, their accumulated knowledge base is extensive so I don't see how them being wiped out would boom anything beyond the funeral business. 

This has been the plan from day one. Unfortunately it got a bit bigger than planned, so we have competing problems.

Slow things down to save people.

Get the economy going to save people.

Pleased I don't have to make the call, just get to sit back and bitch no matter what they do.
I don't think there even was a plan in the US - beyond first ignoring it since Boy Wonder Jared assured Trump it would just go away which led to Trump wanting to  let it wash over the country (when the few adults in the room slapped him).  The previous admin had some plans but they were thrown out.  They had too many words and not enough pictures and never mentioned the awesomeness of Trump, so worthless.

edit: I only see when he is quoted but someone here has become the unaposter. 

Last edited by a moderator:

hasher

Super Anarchist
Insanity
DUDE!  It's "border".  I'm typically not a spelling nazi.   Once is a typo, but you've had something like 5 posts in a row where it's been misspelled.  
If you close out a boarder there will be one less mouth to feed.

God forbid we care for the immigrant, the widow or the child.

We are competent folks.

Grab the shotgun.

iu

mikewof

mikewof
I first looked at the CDC site a couple of hours ago. Those figures are what they are currently, right now, displaying. Have you looked?

Is your argument now that they have the wrong data and only you have the correct data?

Sorry - but unless you have a reputable source for the data supporting your cliff scenario, I must conclude it is bullshit.
Relax Impatient Sally, they will repost. Give it a few days or a couple weeks.

I've contracted with the feds off and on, this kind of thing happens, it's not a conspiracy.

hasher

Super Anarchist
Insanity
Relax Impatient Sally, they will repost. Give it a few days or a couple weeks.

I've contracted with the feds off and on, this kind of thing happens, it's not a conspiracy.
I'm so much more secure that little don has you under his thumb.  Can it get better than this?

Those damn demons, democratic folks, need to be subdued.

Little don's irrationality will be fine until another wizard is found.  He's our wizard now.

A

Amati

It's a similar metric with railroad crossings. Ultimately there is a, value attached to each human life.

If we only drove federally-mandated tucks that were electronically regulated to no more than 15 mph, we might save some tens of thousands of lives from traffic fatalities, but then we might lose hundreds of thousands of lives due to an economy that eventually slow-rides into the shitter.

The low death rate that Americans enjoy due to things like HIV, diarrhea, and malaria, are in part tied to a healthy economy.
if? 

https://www.fleetowner.com/technology/article/21701744/autonomous-trucks-from-tusimple-peterbilt-attract-attention-at-ces-show

A

Amati

What a real bunch of useless cretins you are. The question was asked - what would happen to the US economy if hundreds of thousands died. My response was the economy would be booming. That is all. No suggestion people should be put out to die, just my thoughts if the events proposed did occur.

You inbred, mindless mongrels immediately read something completely different into it and fire off shit balls. No reasoned debate, just piles of shit. At no point have I argued for any one to die, but that doesn't stop your solitary brain cell from de iding that must be what I said.

Look in a mirror and you will see some of the reasons Trump got in looking back at you. Fucking idiots.
“Best thing that could happen...”. (I’ll find the post # if you’d like) is not arguing for your proposition?  

A

Amati

Assuming the age ratios stay the same the economy will be booming. Lots of old fuckers dead, lots of money passed down to spend. All those almost bankrupt pension schemes back in black.

Best thing that could happen in some ways.
This (#296) isn’t arguing for your modest proposal?  And before you call me a mindless cretin, you don’t live in a country whose present government refused to believe in the science of pandemics to the point to the point that 10’s of thousands have died that didn’t need to.  You have the luxury of making a theoretical argument, which is what I hope you implied by posting “some ways”, as you enjoy a much more rational national response.  In the US, we are living with enough people in power who are looking for any excuse to kill a few more people.  Personally, I don’t need any more.

Last edited:

mikewof

mikewof
So, who took the strawberries Mike?
Put your foil hat away, jeez.

Someone probably saw that data and assumed that it has an error. They likely have some underpaid but highly enthusiastic post-doc looking at it. The CDC is reliable, it'll be back.

Burning Man

Super Anarchist
Back to the desert
As my wife said “I figured it out, they just don’t want us to all get sick at the same time and crash the system.”

That’s really all there is to it. Most are gonna get sick. Hopefully when you do, if you need it, medical care will be available
Agree.  I think it's inevitable that most of us will get sick eventually.  I think that's why the lockdowns need to ease up sooner rather than later once we have a sustainable medical capacity to treat us - because you're not going to prevent it from happening and it's not worth sending us into the "The Great Depression - Part II" for something that is inevitable.  

The big question is what does the immunity look like once you do get sick and recover?  I don't think there is going to be this magical "herd immunity" everyone keeps hoping for.  I think it will be another seasonal flu that kills tens of thousands of people in the US every year.  And getting it the previous season doesn't prevent you from getting it next year without getting an annual flu shot.  I think there are far too many strains for us to think there will be some silver bullet that gets us out of the wilderness overnight.  

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Put your foil hat away, jeez.

Someone probably saw that data and assumed that it has an error. They likely have some underpaid but highly enthusiastic post-doc looking at it. The CDC is reliable, it'll be back.
In my world, the quality of data reporting normally improves with time.  Why do you question this correction?  You'll find something else to write endless drivel about (hint: you could just reuse some of your old crap, we don't read it).   

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
ditches are cheaper, take less maintenance, and stop cars a lot more certainly.

And a lot of that area is swampy.
I've got a high boy dumper and a shitload of CA6 gravel. A ditch wouldn't stop me.
You get a pass, sir. Except you gotta remember to file an enviro impact statement, and make sure you've got a hunting license for any alligators you run over.

- DSK

Saorsa

Super Anarchist
This has been the plan from day one. Unfortunately it got a bit bigger than planned, so we have competing problems.

Slow things down to save people.

Get the economy going to save people.

Pleased I don't have to make the call, just get to sit back and bitch no matter what they do.
That's exactly what "flattening the curve is" It just takes whatever you are measuring (infections, hospitalization, death, whatever) and squooshes it out the end.  It doesn't reduce the number.

Unless you actually come up with a cure which is unlikely.

mikewof

mikewof
In my world, the quality of data reporting normally improves with time.  Why do you question this correction?  You'll find something else to write endless drivel about (hint: you could just reuse some of your old crap, we don't read it).   
I have no idea what the "correction" is, and I'm not going to worry about it. The CDC is usually good with data as far as I know.

As it stands, you're the one foaming at the mouth about the CDC data. Relax, it will be back, go do something else maybe?

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
That's exactly what "flattening the curve is" It just takes whatever you are measuring (infections, hospitalization, death, whatever) and squooshes it out the end.  It doesn't reduce the number.

Unless you actually come up with a cure which is unlikely.
I may have little effect on infections, it has a big effect on mortality (which also includes those non covid patients competing for services).  Thanks for playing Mr. Minister.