Rig tension guages

I own an Elan 333 and would like to start actively changing and monitoring my rig tension. I need to check but pretty sure my stays are 8mm. Any recommendations on what guages to use? Loos & Co professional guage seems to be widely used, but the Spinlock Rig Sense got top marks for accuracy and ease of use in a recent testing. Only problem is that the Spinlock only measures up to 8mm.
Cheers

10thTonner

Hazard to Navigation
South of Spandau
i have a metric Loos. It’s quite ok but I don’t have anything for comparison. Maybe the other ones are better.

Is your boat a 33.3 feet long? if so, shrouds shouldn’t be thicker than 8mm. My shrouds are 5mm and I sail a slim Scandinavian 34 footer.

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
image-png.383866

The orriginalle...... :)

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
Notte siurre howe Loose thet gague is butte theire wase talkle in anorthere threade aboute sergienes titteneng thet stuffe up.

1sailor

Super Anarchist
I have a couple of LOOS RT-10 gauges that we used w/ the Farr 40 it's big enough for sure.

I have two of those, was gonna eBay them post-season, but PM me if you have interest in those

voodoochile

Anarchist
Hampton, Va
I own an Elan 333 and would like to start actively changing and monitoring my rig tension. I need to check but pretty sure my stays are 8mm. Any recommendations on what guages to use? Loos & Co professional guage seems to be widely used, but the Spinlock Rig Sense got top marks for accuracy and ease of use in a recent testing. Only problem is that the Spinlock only measures up to 8mm.
Cheers
Don't waste your money. Your boat will tell you what's right. First, center the rig, then sight the mast and adjust your diagonals so the mast is in column. Then take an additional 2 or so turn on your turnbuckles - it's good to lube them first. Put up the sail you think is appropriate for the wind of the day and put her hard on the wind. the leeward shrouds shoud be just loose, maybe 1" or less of wiggle. If more, take a turn or turn and a half on V1 and D1. Remember, you have to match the turns on the other board. tack, repeat. If the breeze come up or down, adjust on the down wind leg or adjust the leewards, then the other side on the next tack. Our boat, and I think a lot of boats, prefer a little "loose". We have velcro cotters in the turnbuckles, so it's easy enought to adjust with just an wrench and screwdriver, though, I can usually do it by hand when the shrouds aren't loaded. Do something similar with your headstay. Find a nice starting point and develop a gauge for how much to lengthen or shorten for the conditions. Trial and error, not rocket science.

Seriously, if you are racing, you need to achieve repeatable and variably adjustable settings. Take a sharpie and make a series of numbered marks on surfaces beneath all adjustable lines and a big mark on the line itself. On halyards put the mark on the halyard and track on the winch drum as time of day (6 o'clock would be pointed astern). Put a big, easily seen mark on the spin halyard between the turning block and the rope clutch so the mast man and the pit can hoist with their heads down and see when it's at full hoist while looking down not up.

10thTonner

Hazard to Navigation
South of Spandau
I’ve found that most marks I put on ropes tend to „walk“ because of stretch and then are more confusing than helpful. The spin halyard may be an exception because a few cm don’t matter here. But on lines line outhaul, Cunningham, jib sheet, or headstay I’ve stopped using marks.
(OTOH, I am big on telltales and trim stripes all over the sails. They let me see what is really going on so I can adjust my trim to the actual conditions.)

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
i have a metric Loos. It’s quite ok but I don’t have anything for comparison. Maybe the other ones are better.

Is your boat a 33.3 feet long? if so, shrouds shouldn’t be thicker than 8mm. My shrouds are 5mm and I sail a slim Scandinavian 34 footer.
Loos gauges don't work - mine consistently register different tensions port and starboard. junk.

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Just might want to take a serious look at your tuning. Either you are not using the gauge the same way side to side or your rig tensions ACTUALLY are that different.

1sailor

Super Anarchist
many replies above involve a lot of subjectivity and 'looks about right', and this is not good enough.

Particularly if you are racing in a one design fleet or well developed class of boats it is absolutely crucial to have repeatable settings in different wind conditions. Most of us are just not good enough to look up the rig and deem it "yes, that is right, I'm certain of it" .

In a sport so filled with variables, eliminating as many of them as possible using science is a fundamentally obvious endeavor.

LOOS gauges are good enough for most fleets including Olympic level guys, if ya don't like that try hard to find a Harken Rig Tune Pro (electronic / digital, costly) as they are awesome if you can find one. Other than that, LOOS gauges that are appropriately sized for your Vs and D's and not over-used/bent/mangled is a completely obvious and desirable step.