Rigging Jacklines

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Tell me how you work on a boom 3 meters above the deck. i confident that you never have.

Sailing anarcy is full of goofy buggers with limited experience..and you are one of them.

And remember the hung spi pole. It works very well.

NoStrings

Super Anarchist
Richmond, CA
Tell me how you work on a boom 3 meters above the deck. i confident that you never have.

Sailing anarcy is full of goofy buggers with limited experience..and you are one of them.

You would be correct...ALL of my trips to and from HI or down the west coast have been on boats under 60' long. You know zit, it would really help some of us if you would qualify your "suggestions" by stating that they're applicable to a 147' frigging mega yacht. And we tend to use our spiny pole for flying the kites...we have tons of places to clip in that don't include the pole.

Presuming Ed

Super Anarchist
London, UK
Slug (or anyone else), does/can the spinlock pull knife cut a 12mm vectran halyard (or sheet) easily? I am honestly interested. That would be my personal test whether it is minimally adequate as a general purpose knife (meeting the various recommendations and requirements). Perhaps I will have to get one and try it if no-one else knows.
Yachting Monthly did a test of the Spinlock S-Cutter, Gill Harness Rescue Tool, Green River Knife, Gill Personal Rescue Knife, Gerber Obsidian Folding Knife, Gerber EZ-Out Rescue Safety Knife, Wichard WD10062, Leatherman Fuse in their July 2012 issue.

Article is available for purchase and download. Search for Spinlock here, YM, July 2012, Buyer's guide/product tests. Article is titled: "What knife or cutter do you need on board?"

Not impressed by YBW's charging policies for back issue articles. Ouch.

Monkey

Super Anarchist

No clue how to safely work on a boom 9 feet off the deck. It was your spin pole comment that bugs me. They can be accidentally released from the mast, get loose with you attached, break in all sorts of ways, and the list goes on.
I also take issue with the nonsense about needing two hands to open or close a knife, as well as advocating the use of a shackle that doesn't release under load.

CrushDigital

Super Anarchist
New York, NY
The problem with all this [email protected] stuff is that its all pretty much based on theory so is a tad on the BS side of town! In this case, not too many folks have been dragged through the water at 6+ knots on the end of a teather, let alone cut themselves loose, so not a lot of expertise. So people hear what sounds like a pretty good idea, like being able to get un-hooked, and say "oh yeah, how 'bout this Tylaska I have, that would be great" For those of you who have actually used a Tylaska, say on a spinaker guy, you already know that the only way to safely un-hook one, under load, is with a fid. Doing so with your finger is a good way to break said finger. Now think about being towed through the water by the finger you stuck in that Tylaska, if you still have it...not pretty!

Take it all with a grain of salt, and stay with the boat!
Tylaska makes more than trigger shackles.

As Lincoln said, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

Monkey

Super Anarchist
the last time i saw reference (aside from my own system, which i have sine abandoned) to a tylaska at the harness end, it was rigged with a trip line so that you would not lose the end of your finger or have to use a fid.
That's what I've got. I tied a line to the bail, fed it through the trigger, and tied it back to the bail. Nice and simple.

Latest posts