Bill E Goat

Super Anarchist
Sydney
First the UK team have their boats blatantly stolen and stripped in plain sight

http://sailinganarchy.com/2016/06/20/police-and-thieves/

Now from Liesel Tesch Australian Paralympian

Liesl Tesch
12 hrs ·

Some things don't happen too often in a lifetime...
Like being held up by gunpoint at the end of your morning cycle along the waterfront!

Sarah and I had a great ride. The main highway out the front of Flamengo Beach is closed every Sunday, and this morning it was set up for a running event, with strips of safety tape creating lanes that we couldn't cross. We cycled to the end of the course, and turned back on the bike path on the
waterfront, along Guanabara Bay under cloud covered Sugarloaf mountain. We rode up to the end of the promenade to check out the absolute lack of construction on the Olympic Sailing viewing platform and then headed home. Instead of going over the overpass (because my bike had no gears) we cycled under thousands of people jogging along the road in their blue shirts, and headed home on one of our normal routes.

As we passed the back of the bus stop over the road from our house, two people jumped out from behind/beside the bus stop in front of me. Sarah's bike (without brakes) crashed into mine just as the guy in front of me pointed a gun at me. Oopsy! He mumbled something in Portuguese, lifting the gun upwards. Thinking he was asking for money, I lifted up my shirt to show I had nothing. He then gave me a shove in the shoulder with my free hand, and I toppled glamorously onto the cobblestones with my bike between my legs. Sarah was yelling at the guy who was stealing her bike as the guy with the gun grabbed my bike.
There were three people within 10 metres of us at the incident, who watched, and then just continued on their morning strolls.
Leaving me in the ground and Sarah gobsmacked, the 'baddies' rode off into the park.
I picked myself up and we staggered across the road towards home hand in hand, only to turn around as four other members of the Aussie Sailing team were returning form their morning walk passing the same bus stop, less than 5 minutes behind us, oblivious.
Everyone stay safe in Rio!
Keep our Aussie gun laws strong!
Lucky to be Aussies! :)

Varan

Super Anarchist
In the US everybody carries to prevent this kind of shit. Doesn't work.

ordkhntr

Oregon
Anyone heard what % of tickets are unsold? Everything I read or hear is that they are loosing their shirts on this. The country is in a state of controlled chaos, and the controlled part it debatable. This Olympics is bound to go down and one of the worse.

Bill E Goat

Super Anarchist
Sydney
This is the worst bit - beside stripping the boats in braod daylight

The law-abiding GBR coaches’ immediate reaction was to threaten the thieves with calling the police.

“You think that will help you?” the head pirate said, with a big laugh

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
I dunno, call be a chicken but I'd be on the next flight out. Who needs that shit ? I know crime happens everywhere, and if you take up a complete 'avoidance' mentality you'll need to lock yourself away from life experiences, but...this is just WAY too predictable - crime in the region has always been vigorous and highly opportunistic - the Olympic rings are just plain ringing the dinner bell.

I think the IOC has earned a rebuke and their endorsement of Rio was predicated on THEM getting paid and once they got the suitcases of Petro-bucks a couple years back they have well & truly not given a damn what happens, no matter how much it damages the image of the Olympics. They've turned blind eyes for so long they don't even know how not to anymore.

Plenty of criminality to go around.

ordkhntr

Oregon
I dunno, call be a chicken but I'd be on the next flight out. Who needs that shit ? I know crime happens everywhere, and if you take up a complete 'avoidance' mentality you'll need to lock yourself away from life experiences, but...this is just WAY too predictable - crime in the region has always been vigorous and highly opportunistic - the Olympic rings are just plain ringing the dinner bell.

I think the IOC has earned a rebuke and their endorsement of Rio was predicated on THEM getting paid and once they got the suitcases of Petro-bucks a couple years back they have well & truly not given a damn what happens, no matter how much it damages the image of the Olympics. They've turned blind eyes for so long they don't even know how not to anymore.

Plenty of criminality to go around.
I would agree, Its not just Brazil to blame. The IOC seriously screwed the pooch on this one

ColinG

Super Anarchist
Sydney, AUS
I think what he was really saying is that in the US, the Gun Nuts carry because they think that in that stressed, life threatening situation they will have the presence of mind to to do the Clint Eastwood imitation and take out the crims with no risk to themselves.

Real life ain't like that - just ask a cop.

Varan

Super Anarchist
I think what he was really saying is that in the US, the Gun Nuts carry because they think that in that stressed, life threatening situation they will have the presence of mind to to do the Clint Eastwood imitation and take out the crims with no risk to themselves.

yep, it just doesn't work that way.

dcbsheb

Super Anarchist
Sheboygan, WI

yep, it just doesn't work that way.
And even if you are a concealed carry nut, are you really packing heat on your morning run or bike ride? (I don't know, so that's why I'm asking.)

NORBowGirl

Super Anarchist
For most people, the level of risk in Rio is just unbelievable and it's almost impossible to take all precautions. We understand that we have to be careful and maybe not go out alone after midnight, but trying to avoid getting robbed in the middle of the day, with people around to witness it - it's just not something we think about. The criminals will rob you for money or belongings, everything has a value for them. So you wouldn't go out on a really expensive bicycle. Not carry a Nike bag (or any other brand of course), use a plastic bag instead (the bag has a value in itself for a criminal, while we would normally think about not putting expensive things in our bag....).

So, if you remember to always bring some cash for the robbers, and not a cell phone, computer, nice bag, nice watch, etc....you'll be fine. But yes, you won't feel free or relaxed, go somewhere else if you can :)

People who live there, have adjusted and are no longer shocked.

Latest posts