RIP Doug Peterson

OC Racer

So. Cal
On the last day of the AC, Doug Peterson passed away this morning.   He's been more than a little involved in the Cup however the past years have been a struggle healthwise.    More of a blessing at this stage.    He was a giant!

BGeff

Super Anarchist
Ann Arbor, MI
RIP DP!  You designed some of the best and greatest.  Loved racing the Peterson 43!  Fair winds and calms seas.  Thanks for all your major contributions to the sport we all love.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Aw hell. Seems like only a few years ago he was the new hotshot kid taking over the IOR.

A major loss.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grimace

Damn! RIP Doug. I enjoyed racing on many of your designs. Set some records way back when, undoubtedly broken by now but put a smile on a lot of faces back in the day.

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia
A great career.

Bitter sweet that he passed away on the day ETNZ wins the cup back, given his involvement with Team New Zealand.

Sail on Mr Peterson.

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
I put a LOT of miles on the Peterson 48 that Choate built which became Mauna Lani Flash,  including the '89 Transpac when we were the only boat in the top 10 that wasn't a ULDB ( 6th overall ) - that was a sweet-sailing boat.  Although buoy raced mostly,  sailing around the state of Hawaii you do a lot of offshore work and that boat always took great care of us.  Thanks, Doug. Fair winds and following seas.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
On the last day of the AC, Doug Peterson passed away this morning.   He's been more than a little involved in the Cup however the past years have been a struggle healthwise.    More of a blessing at this stage.    He was a giant!
A giant indeed and a genius at many aspects of design, and a damn good sailor himself too... Salute his passing and mourn his loss, condolences to his friends and family.

-DSK

RCH

Redneck, USA
Last week, I was in Argentario, Italy racing at the Panerai Classic Yacht Regatta. While walking the docks, I saw Ganbare. (sp!)  Growing up, I had only seen her in photos and took the time to talk to the crew (She is a glamor right now, very well kept)  Her owners care for her and retain her San Diego hailing port. 

http://www.sail-world.com/UK/photo/372306 (http://www.sail-world.com/UK/photo/372306)

Just like in 1974, she kicked her competitors ass. Eight bells DP. 

Ganbare-Pierpaolo Lanfrancotti - Marine Partners.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: