RIP - Hobie Alter

hobie18rich

Super Anarchist
Sad news. A great man whom I had the opportunity to meet and talk to. Always sad when a Legend passes.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
I met Hobie when I did some consultant work for him on a few law suits. We was the real deal.

The world of sailing is a better place for your efforts Hobie.

Maybe full battened mains will catch on some day.

douglas

Super Anarchist
vancouver bc
I wouldn't be sailing if it weren't for hobie. Had fun racing jr and jeff in alter cup qualifying, and hobie 16 nationals. The 18 nationals are still a highlight in my sporting career.

Thanks hobie.

BGeff

Super Anarchist
Ann Arbor, MI
So sad and Fair Winds, Hobie. You gave us all the attitude that sailing is fun, and put that aspect into our sport. Thanks for all you have done!

Hobie Anarchy

Super Anarchist
We all knew it was coming sooner rather than later. Laurie A. said he had been going downhill since the "Hobie, Master of Water, Wind and Waves" book launch party back in December. (http://www.amazon.com/Hobie-Master-Water-Wind-Waves/dp/097042289X - buy it, it's pretty amazing.)

Still, it's a physical blow.

The sport has lost a great visionary. Condolences to Hobie P., Jeff, Paula, Susan and all the grandchildren.

Last edited by a moderator:

slater-san

Anarchist
A sad day. My family was just getting into sailing in Dana Point when he was doing the development of the Hobie 33. The attention to detail those guys were going through was amazing......it's no accident that it ended up such an iconic design.....and I wanted my folks to buy one when they came out sooooooo bad!!!

RIP Hobie