RNC withdraws from commission on presidential debates

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
I guess they are afraid of being fact-checked..

The Republican National Committee voted unanimously Thursday in favor of withdrawing from the Commission on Presidential Debates. "The Commission on Presidential Debates is biased and has refused to enact simple and commonsense reforms to help ensure fair debates including hosting debates before voting begins and selecting moderators who have never worked for candidates on the debate stage," RNC chair Ronna McDaniel said in a press release. 

"Today, the RNC voted to withdraw from the biased CPD, and we are going to find newer, better debate platforms to ensure that future nominees are not forced to go through the biased CPD in order to make their case to the American people," she added. "Debates are an important part of the democratic process, and the RNC is committed to free and fair debates." 

The Republican Party for nearly a decade has complained that the nonprofit debate commission — which has described itself as nonpartisan — has favored Democrats, according to the New York Times. Last year, McDaniel warned CPD that the RNC would advise future Republican candidates against participating in CPD-hosted debates unless "significant reforms" were made. In January, the RNC reiterated their position by sending a letter to the CPD threatening to block future GOP presidential nominees from sanctioned debates if "meaningful reforms" are not made.

Read more: https://www.axios.com/rnc-vote-withdraw-president-debate-55487e0f-1a72-4242-8f5b-5cea225f9ea0.html 

The Joker

Super Anarchist
World of Shit
I agree You should always have a debate before voting opens.   Also there should never be a moderator that worked directly for any candidate.   Would you guys accept KellieAnn moderating a debate between Trump and Biden?

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Chickenshits!  However, it would have been funny to hear multiple 'R' candidates claiming the 5th when asked a debate question posed by Anderson Cooper!  The Republicans are so lost it is hilarious.

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
I agree You should always have a debate before voting opens.   Also there should never be a moderator that worked directly for any candidate.   Would you guys accept KellieAnn moderating a debate between Trump and Biden?
How is she possibly qualified to moderate a debate?  

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
JoJoFungiNailz said:
The Presidential debates are as inspiring and enlightening as watching modern day Olympics 
I'm guessing 8th grade and your dad and his dad were morons and you're just keeping the chain alive.

The Joker

Super Anarchist
World of Shit
Traditionally, moderators are members of the media agreed to by both parties.

What's your point?  What is your party afraid of?  Being exposed as idiots?  I know that appeals to your base, but maybe not so much the undecideds.
The GOP asked for some changes the commission refused.  So the GOP said fine we are out.   I’m sure someone else will be happy to host the debates.   

Do you see the point of having at least one debate prior to early voting?

As to being worried.  Biden’s approval among independents is at 26%.  Same for Hispanics.  
It’s not the GOP that is worried.   

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
The GOP asked for some changes the commission refused.  So the GOP said fine we are out.   I’m sure someone else will be happy to host the debates.   

Do you see the point of having at least one debate prior to early voting?

As to being worried.  Biden’s approval among independents is at 26%.  Same for Hispanics.  
It’s not the GOP that is worried.   
I see benefit in a minimum of three with different formats.  So why did Trump limit it to one?

War ends, inflation settles, gas prices drop by mid-summer, you're fucked.  Biden will be hailed as the guy who saved Ukraine.

Ishmael

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
Fuctifino
I haven't seen anything on what "meaningful reforms" the GOP want. Anyone got any info on this? I'm guessing giving R's twice as much time as D's, no fact-checking, allowing armed supporters into the debates, and hitting Dems with baseball bats before and during the debate.

Ishmael

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
Fuctifino
And we'd have to look at what she calls teeth!  She and hubby are worth many if not 10's of millions?  Shit, I'd fix my dog's teeth if they were that bad.
It's part of the image. Plays well in Tennessee, where having more than half your teeth is a mark of good breeding.

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
The RNC withdrawal may mean nothing. Presidential campaigns decide on debates not the RNC, yet the RNC seems determined to takeover the process, so we will have to wait and see what happens. Times have changed, we used to get along until the 1960s, then we started to become more partisan. These days Republicans rely on the ability to be seen as victims, and with no party platform, it becomes harder to stand for something. Under those conditions I wouldn't want to debate either.

Last edited by a moderator: