Roller furling fowl-up in Patagonia

plenamar

Buenos Aires
Recently sailed from Puerto Deseado to Camarones (Argentine Patagonia).

Got caught in a squall of Cabo Blanco (25-28 kts). Sailing with wind aprox 120  degreees off bow.

Tried to furl Yankee (old, recut sail originally Genoa 2).

Homongous foul-up: bottom 11/2 - 2/3 of sail furled OK, top 1/3 - 1/2 did not. Impossible to unfurl, furl or get sail down.

Top 1/3 -1/2 shredded to pieces (fortunately, so sail wouldn't catch wind).

We we able to get sail down when wind died crossing Golfo de San Jorge.

What did we do wrong? Atttempt to furl with wind aft of beam? Suggestions?

Thanks !

PD: Yankee seems to have a very narrow 1/4 top of sail, could this be the cause?

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Could have sheered a 'splice' joiner - the interior piece that joins foil sections.  a better description of how the sail rolled up would help. Have you got sail down yet? A foil breaking would also tear the luff rope at that point

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
Number one rule anytime you set or douse is to have eyes on it. If you watch it happen at least you know how you fucked up. I’d guess that with the sheet eased on the reach, there was insufficient tension on the leach at the head so it left some extra flapping sail up top as the clew lifted and distorted the sail. Once you get a bad wrap with twists inside, and release the drum, it unspools and backlashes. 
Maybe you can manage the fair lead angle on a reach with sheet tension 

Once it’s fucked, for sure, don’t rapidly release the drum. 

savoir

Super Anarchist
A fowl up in Patagonia ?  Heavens to murgatroyd !

There's gotta be a good 3 months worth of material in that one.

So a fowl walks into a bar in Patagonia  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

We have a Yankee cut jib on a furler and yes it is tricky to get furled in a blow. Lots of unknowns so hard to say what happened but I have definitely had a mess in the middle of the night once or twice in a squal making things go away. You can't just blow the sheet and furl either the top or bottom ends up a overwrap sloppy mess.  Something bro do with it being cut so high.  Have never seen the same on low cut jobs or genoa's

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
A fowl up in Patagonia ?  Heavens to murgatroyd !

There's gotta be a good 3 months worth of material in that one.

So a fowl walks into a bar in Patagonia  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
Was he dragging his chicken chute?

savoir

Super Anarchist
So a chicken walks into a bar in Patagonia and the bartender says ( in Spanish of course ) 

" What'll it be ? "

" Cluck cluck " says the chicken.

" There's no fowl language allowed in here " yells the bartender.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Could have sheered a 'splice' joiner - the interior piece that joins foil sections.  a better description of how the sail rolled up would help. Have you got sail down yet? A foil breaking would also tear the luff rope at that point
Yah 

the splices , joints , need inspection 

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
I am not sure how I could replicate that absent the foil separating or the luff tape ripping off the sail. My entire foil turns as one unit, it cannot furl half the sail. Now if the top half of the luff tape ripped off the sail, the halyard swivel would allow the top half to not furl while the bottom half did :eek: The other way would be for the foil itself to fracture at a junction, which is WAY harder to fix than a sail.

Last edited by a moderator:

ride2live

I am not sure how I could replicate that absent the foil separating or the luff tape ripping off the sail. My entire foil turns as one unit, it cannot furl half the sail. Now if the top half of the luff tape ripped off the sail, the halyard swivel would allow the top half to not furl while the bottom half did :eek: The other way would be for the foil itself to fracture at a junction, which is WAY harder to fix than a sail.
If going downwind with the sail let way out the clew goes up and the top twists way off. Pulling in the furler wraps the foot tight but the upper leech is loose so comes in messy. Is it enough to cause big problems? I don't know but it won't be pretty.

Latest posts