RORC Caribbean 600 2021

MaxHeadroom

Super Anarchist
image.png

If anyone is in contact with the team, I'm up in Jolly, working on my boat. 

I have a "villa" with a spare bedroom & couch on the property. Also a small rental car and a fair amount of tools to help if needed. 

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Only just over 2 minutes separated Argo and Maserati after a 600 miles race..! That's some close racing. Skorpios and Comanche will also be close. 

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Fascinating to see the Volvo 65 Grooverderci Racing in the lead just over Trifork Volvo 70 with foils and all the other 70's and 65's. I would have thought the 70's would have a speed edge over the 65's. Monster effort by Warrior Won the Pac52 who is up there with the bigger boats and leading on IRC overall. Skorpios only a touch faster than Comanche in these conditions and given the 25 foot advantage it makes you wonder if a 125 foot version of Comanche would have been a better option.? Probably not surprising given Swan decided at the last minute to change a racer cruiser into a dedicated racing boat without changing the hull. I am convinced though Comanche is faster in big breeze. 

Last edited by a moderator:

bushsailor

Anarchist
QLD Australia
Not sure if Comanche is going to be faster in higher winds. Wave state would slow her down faster. Scorpios is a much bigger boat after all. I thought they had heavy downwind conditions(30kn plus) in the middle sea race and Scorpios was pulling away till they sailed into a hole.

Having the volvo 65 vs 70 together is also interesting and not what I would have expected either. I assume the 65 has a more experienced crew that have done many miles together on that boat and can get every bit of speed out of her.

Still impressed with that multi 50, that thing is quick on a reach.

The 2 TS 5 catamarans are showing some very good speeds as well.

SISI showed how well the inside track can work going past Basse Terre. There  must be a fine line of getting the bullets coming down the mountain and being in too close and missing them.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Not sure if Comanche is going to be faster in higher winds. Wave state would slow her down faster. Scorpios is a much bigger boat after all. I thought they had heavy downwind conditions(30kn plus) in the middle sea race and Scorpios was pulling away till they sailed into a hole.

Having the volvo 65 vs 70 together is also interesting and not what I would have expected either. I assume the 65 has a more experienced crew that have done many miles together on that boat and can get every bit of speed out of her.

Still impressed with that multi 50, that thing is quick on a reach.

The 2 TS 5 catamarans are showing some very good speeds as well.

SISI showed how well the inside track can work going past Basse Terre. There  must be a fine line of getting the bullets coming down the mountain and being in too close and missing them.
Comanche was pacing Skorpios in the Middle Sea Race and Skorpios wasn't pulling away. Yes Skorpios sailed into a hole and Comanche went past. In these more moderate conditions Skorpios is only around 15-20 minutes ahead of Comanche after nearly 600 miles. If you do the % math on course length and elapsed time after this race it is only a poofteenth in favor of Skorpios which is a 25% longer boat. I also believe Comanche has more form stability than Skorpios and this was evident at the start of this race. Skorpios was the only boat reefed.! 

Not sure who is sailing Telefonica Black V70 but they are back with the smaller boats nowhere near the other Volvo boats.? 

gullwinkle

MA
Fascinating to see the Volvo 65 Grooverderci Racing in the lead just over Trifork Volvo 70 with foils and all the other 70's and 65's. I would have thought the 70's would have a speed edge over the 65's. Monster effort by Warrior Won the Pac52 who is up there with the bigger boats and leading on IRC overall. Skorpios only a touch faster than Comanche in these conditions and given the 25 foot advantage it makes you wonder if a 125 foot version of Comanche would have been a better option.? Probably not surprising given Swan decided at the last minute to change a racer cruiser into a dedicated racing boat without changing the hull. I am convinced though Comanche is faster in big breeze. 
Some races limit the length to 100 feet. I think it's Newport/Bermuda and Sydney/Hobart. I could be wrong, but I remember seeing a video of Comanche.  Kenny giving kids a tour and the kid asked why it was not 100 feet instead of 99'10"

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
I love Poland , Trifork and Grooverderci on the reaching leg in decent breeze. These should be foil conditions for Trifork but she seems to be on par or slower than the other 2? Anyone know if these foils and simply DSS affective or else? 

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
Interesting to see Brian Thompson on Argo

So he hasn't dropped completely off the scene after the sail making issues .
What did I miss? Last I knew he had joined the UK Doyle loft...

These should be foil conditions for Trifork but she seems to be on par or slower than the other 2? Anyone know if these foils and simply DSS affective or else? 
There's been a lot of chat that these extra foils (old TNZ AC72 daggerboards) are only effective in a really narrow wind range, and that is somewhere down in the 130-140 AWA. I never got anyone onboard to confirm this but it is fairly well backed-up by their performance (or lack of extra performance). It's still really impressive for Grooverderci to be hanging in with the 2 70s - it looks like they were on their coat tails until the Guadaloupe wind shadow and then caught right up and haven't let go since, good work!

Justaquickone

What did I miss? Last I knew he had joined the UK Doyle loft...

There's been a lot of chat that these extra foils (old TNZ AC72 daggerboards) are only effective in a really narrow wind range, and that is somewhere down in the 130-140 AWA. I never got anyone onboard to confirm this but it is fairly well backed-up by their performance (or lack of extra performance). It's still really impressive for Grooverderci to be hanging in with the 2 70s - it looks like they were on their coat tails until the Guadaloupe wind shadow and then caught right up and haven't let go since, good work!
  I'm not exactly sure now .

Might be mixing my Brian's up ??

bigrpowr

Super Anarchist
The 805
skorpios has 8 miles on C with 25 miles to go. looks like they got this one, but one the big C could actually beat on handicap.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
skorpios has 8 miles on C with 25 miles to go. looks like they got this one, but one the big C could actually beat on handicap.
Yeah you'd think Skorpios will win this battle but only "JUST". In terms of winning margin it might be 1% over Comanche for a 25% BIGGER BOAT. 

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
On a course like this with so many turning marks, I don't think Skorpios was ever really going to extend too much on Comanche - the manoeuvres on that thing must be like hauling a small boat out of the water. 

Also the fully gimbled salon and owners cabin is arguably unnecessary weight for an ocean race....

I'm not exactly sure now .

Might be mixing my Brian's up ??
I think you may have confused Mr Thompson, the multihull legend, with Mr Hancock of Great Circle Sails which, according to a lot of SA chat, has a less than ideal customer review score...

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
On a course like this with so many turning marks, I don't think Skorpios was ever really going to extend too much on Comanche - the manoeuvres on that thing must be like hauling a small boat out of the water. 

Also the fully gimbled salon and owners cabin is arguably unnecessary weight for an ocean race....
A fully gimbaled salon.? And owners cabin.? Never knew that.

Latest posts