RORC Transatlantic Race.. 8 Jan

wildbirdtoo

UK
Looks like this might be interesting to watch...  several multihulls, including a new one:  American Gunboat 68 Tosca, which includes Alex Thomson and Neal McDonald on the crew list.

Comanche leading the monohulls (can they beat the race record?).

Nice to see two handed too- can Jangada repeat 2019 success?

http://rorctransatlantic.rorc.org/race-updates/battle-lines-drawn-for-rorc-transatlantic-race.html

Full entry list http://rorctransatlantic.rorc.org/entries/entries-2022.html

Tracker http://rorctransatlantic.rorc.org/tracking/2022-fleet-tracking.html

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
A mid latitude low will wreak havoc on this event.
What routing software are you using, or is it just your huge geography?

I do see a bit of a low with no wind that might wreak havoc with their minds though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
Screenshot_20220107-202333.png

You see what I mean!

This is only a snapshot, but anyway not gonebe easy to sail around this trough, not even by the fast multis or Comanche. Maybe best to try and punch right through it. Interesting...

vokstar

Tasmania
Was a rather cool Instagram story from Comanche looking at Tosca sailing in close company, was impressed with the speed of Tosca considering they had a dingy out back still. 

Whats the story with Ultim' Emotion 2? Did they not make the start? They seem a fair way behind everyone. 

wildbirdtoo

UK
Whats the story with Ultim' Emotion 2? Did they not make the start? They seem a fair way behind everyone. 
They had a "technical problem". Had to send a crew member up the mast, so had to take shelter behind one of the islands  for this procedure.  They said it was all sorted now.

Some good speeds from the MOCRAs (at times). I'll be interested to hear how Giles Scott gets on on Powerplay- a big leap from sailing AC75s and dinghys...

Looks a very unstable weather pattern- every time I look the forecast looks different. Good look to the navigators!

The 70’ Tri’s are ripping with Comanche hot on their heels. Should be a good race as the forecast is all over the place. The next 24 hours will be interesting. 

Your Mom

Super Anarchist
San Antonio, TX
Can't find a multi start vid...?
The YC for the start had a FB Live vid.  Commentary was decent but footage seemed to be flipping between a couple random amateurs with iphones or something...  They missed the multi start entirely.  Commentator mentioned that they had started, but footage was showing something else.  The video is 30-40 minutes long if you find it.  I had it on over breakfast and it entertained my 2-year-old, so I didn't mind how awful the footage was...  But the highlights of it (if you want to skip through it) were the mono start and a handful of brief shots of big boats going fast.  The rest was mostly jumbled shots of boats appearing aimless pre-start, etc.

vokstar

Tasmania
Comanche looks like it's sailed into a hole... as most the fleet will at some point. The Mod 70's look like they are having a cracking race. 

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
It is quite fun that the GB68 still is taking it's tender along for the ride...
With the tender onboard still this would suggest they haven't done much in terms of stripping the weight out of the interior - maybe they're just treating it as a 'racing' delivery? When I did the C600 on a 66 we had everything down to toilet roll holders unscrewed and in the container.....