Route du Rhum 2022

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
Is that really a narrow gate on the SW corner of the island that requires boats to sail into a hole? Very odd. It looks like James either forgot about the gate, sailing way wide in better breeze and now sailing back towards the gate. Although maybe that is a strategy as there is probably far better breeze south of the gate than north.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Conrad Colman is sailing pretty well, with his legacy boat, beating in a few foilers too.

Pretty remarkable considering he's funded entirely without a key sponsor. I'd love to see this guy pick up a high profile sponsor. He's such a character and ambassador for solo ocean racing. I'm also a little biased because he's a, Kiwi. ;-)

Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 1.47.53 PM.png

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
Is that really a narrow gate on the SW corner of the island that requires boats to sail into a hole? Very odd. It looks like James either forgot about the gate, sailing way wide in better breeze and now sailing back towards the gate. Although maybe that is a strategy as there is probably far better breeze south of the gate than north.
Yes it is; it has been part of the race course for most of RdR editions.

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Conrad Colman is sailing pretty well, with his legacy boat, beating in a few foilers too.

Pretty remarkable considering he's funded entirely without a key sponsor. I'd love to see this guy pick up a high profile sponsor. He's such a character and ambassador for solo ocean racing. I'm also a little biased because he's a, Kiwi. ;-)
Yes I'm quite surprised he didn't manage to pick a good sponsor, even a French one, because he clearly is performing quite well (didn't do very well in Figaro though), and he his very "social media friendly".
Maybe him being vegan and "green" he is also a bit picky about the sponsor ? (couldn't be maitre coq or charal for instance ...)

Last edited:

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
I'm stoked for Pip but gutted at the same time... her interview is great.... hard not to feel her pain
At the beginning of the interview, you see her hand shaking, clearly she was very tired, and this round the island at the end of the race must indeed be really tiring...
(they could at least remove this "basse terre buoy" gate)

Yes I'm quite surprised he didn't manage to pick a good sponsor, even a French one, because he clearly his performing quite well (didn't do very well in Figaro though), and he his very "social media friendly".
Maybe him being vegan and "green" he is also a bit picky about the sponsor ? (couldn't be maitre coq or charal for instance ...)
Yeah, being vegan practically excludes any big name French food industry sponsors. Besides, I guess they already have long term sponsorship agreements with others. Maybe some non-French companies could come, like Medallia for Pip.
However, that 'green' thing is relly puzzling for me. He did his Vendée without fossil fuels, I believe he was the first and only one to do. I was expecting to have some big name sponsors after this, but instead he couldn't even start the next VG (sure, there was covid, etc.) and since then everyone is back to diesel engines. Personally I don't mind this, I don't think fossil fuels are pure evil, I'm just puzzled why Conrad doesn't have any significant sponsor yet. He surely deserves it, he's one of the most media compatible sailor.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Yes I'm quite surprised he didn't manage to pick a good sponsor, even a French one, because he clearly is performing quite well (didn't do very well in Figaro though), and he his very "social media friendly".
Not sure about that, mate.

Even, Conrad would be prepared to hold his nose and dive into a pot of Coq Au Vin, plate of Coq Cordon Bleu or Boeuf a la Bourguignonne, if it meant a shot at the big time, I suspect. And who could blame him, eh?

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
So, for CORUM, the disappointment continues. Not sure, is Juan K will be invited back to the party anytime soon.

Just too much boat to sail quick, solo?

DVV

Italy
So, for CORUM, the disappointment continues. Not sure, is Juan K will be invited back to the party anytime soon.

Just too much boat to sail quick, solo?

I still think the idea of that cockpit was great. Apparently not as quick as expected.
Corum bow looks quite different from those of other new IMOCAs. I dont like it

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Not sure about that, mate.

Even, Conrad would be prepared to hold his nose and dive into a pot of Coq Au Vin, plate of Coq Cordon Bleu or Boeuf a la Bourguignonne, if it meant a shot at the big time, I suspect. And who could blame him, eh?

I'm not sure about that. Especially since Britanny is kind of the center of industrial pigs and chicken "farming" in France, and it creates quite a few issues, typically huge green seaweed blooming on Northerm Britanny beaches (even several deaths related to that, with the associated gases).

mar%C3%A9e-verte-bretagne.jpg

30537_large.jpg

saint_michel_en_greve_credit_fouquet_maxppp_format_629_2.jpg

(this didn't exist at all when I was a kid, started in the mid eighties something like that)

Last edited:

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
He did his Vendée without fossil fuels, I believe he was the first and only one to do. I was expecting to have some big name sponsors after this, but instead he couldn't even start the next VG (sure, there was covid, etc.) and since then everyone is back to diesel engines. Personally I don't mind this, I don't think fossil fuels are pure evil, I'm just puzzled why Conrad doesn't have any significant sponsor yet. He surely deserves it, he's one of the most media compatible sailor.
Yes clearly he has a profile that should interest quite a few companies, and his first VG without Diesel was something. Don't know why he didn't get one yet (he mentioned being very close to it for the last VG, and then covid fucked it up, IIRW.

The thing is, most of the sponsors today aren't in fact big companies, mostly medium ones or regions etc, must be difficult to navigate .. (but I understand his French wife is helping there).

Last edited:

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Also maybe he should aim higher in terms of boat potential ?

Seems to me up to now it has been for Conrad : buy or rent an old boat, find a sponsor(s) afterwards.

Whether for a lot of the others, it is more : find a sponsor first (sell the program, the image, etc), then buy a recent boat or build one.

Was ok for his first VG, but he should probably now move to the second way of doing things (I'm sure he tried though).

But I really don't know much about all this...

As to the race, Giancarlo and Corentin still very tight for second place in Class 40!

Last edited:

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
To have been watching Hugo Boss with everyone else as being just so amayzing in the long distance races....
to now seeing a C40 pushing the speed but here is the latest arriving pretty close together

Its shorter , it has no canting keel
non rotating mast and no carbon fiber in the hull layup
But make the hull into a scow, move the mast back and add sail area in a plan not seen before...
admittedly this has half the race that normally would be downhill in the trades.

This time less than half in the trades as the Azores High was a road block along with a series of Lows and Fronts......still pretty impressive though for a lot less in the budget to build and campaign......

So will the new C30 VPLP Sunfast be the new cheaper step between the Mini650 and the C40.. before the bigger IMOCA60s and the MULTIES of all sizes

Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 8.12.01 pm.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-23 at 8.12.01 pm.png