Route Halifax - Saint-Pierre race 2012

v-max

Super Anarchist
Sea Smoke in!

Give 'er!!!

wink.gif

v-max

Super Anarchist
So honestly, how big a slog is this to head SW afterwards? Otherwise, it sounds like a great time!
Many of us are going to cruise the south shore of Newfoundland (which is spectacular) and then head for the Bras D'Or lakes of Cape Breton, which is also spectacular, after the race. If you have time to do it, it's highly recommended!

I had a look at your blog and your McCurdy Rhodes 46 would be a sweet ride for the race!

PM me if I can be of assistance.

Mung Breath

Anarchist
Connecticut
So honestly, how big a slog is this to head SW afterwards? Otherwise, it sounds like a great time!
Many of us are going to cruise the south shore of Newfoundland (which is spectacular) and then head for the Bras D'Or lakes of Cape Breton, which is also spectacular, after the race. If you have time to do it, it's highly recommended!

I had a look at your blog and your McCurdy Rhodes 46 would be a sweet ride for the race!

PM me if I can be of assistance.
Thanks! I guess it depends on how long it takes me to get home! I know, I know...I shouldn't be focused on deadlines. ;)

v-max

Super Anarchist
Any other boats originating near Newport for the ride to Halifax?

I see there is a non-spin division; is this viable given prevailing winds?
Mantra, a Little Harbour 51, raced non-spin in 2008 and took it all, and there's lots of cruisers doing the 2012 race. The last two races have been fast beam reaches most of the way.

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist

I see there is a non-spin division; is this viable given prevailing winds?
Mantra, a Little Harbour 51, raced non-spin in 2008 and took it all, and there's lots of cruisers doing the 2012 race. The last two races have been fast beam reaches most of the way.
Heck Mung, I don't think you'll even be the only McCurdy & Rhodes in that division. :)

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist
Yes, us. The boat is at Parker's on Cape Cod for the winter, we' ll bring her near Newport to prep and provision for the trip to Halifax.

Given our small, family crew and varnish hog boat, we're going white sails for the race. I wish the cruisers were allowed an asym, but we'll bring that for the cruising part.

Mung Breath

Anarchist
Connecticut
Yes, us. The boat is at Parker's on Cape Cod for the winter, we' ll bring her near Newport to prep and provision for the trip to Halifax.

Given our small, family crew and varnish hog boat, we're going white sails for the race. I wish the cruisers were allowed an asym, but we'll bring that for the cruising part.
CL - Parker's is a terrific yard! Nice family. Are you sailing back to Maine or further south afterward? I might do this race simply because we haven't finalized downwind inventory yet.

Cruisin Loser

Super Anarchist

CL - Parker's is a terrific yard! Nice family. Are you sailing back to Maine or further south afterward? I might do this race simply because we haven't finalized downwind inventory yet.
I really don't know yet. My plan (so far) is to cruise the south coast of Newfoundland after the race, then come back through the Bras D'or lakes. After that, I hope to be open, although a couple of business committments may have me traveling back and forth.

So far I'm very happy with Parker's, so the plan would be to end up back there by season's end.