RRS 18 change proposals/test rule.

JimC

Not actually an anarchist.
South East England
Copied from https://www.racingrulesofsailing.org/posts/1531-2022-test-rule-18-information-please-read-before-posting?forum_id=15.

The World Sailing Rule 18 Working Party is trying to find ways to simplify rule 18 (Mark-Room) without making significant changes to the current game. We have created a test rule 18 for 2022 which is 20% shorter than the current rule, removing much extraneous and complex wording. It contains simplifications such as making mark-room the same for all inside boats whether they have the right-of-way or not and whether the leeward mark is a single mark or a gate mark, creating a clear end point for when rule 18 stops applying, and allowing boats to gybe at the windward or offset marks when their proper course is to gybe.

The Rule 18 WP is inviting sailors and race officials around the world to study the test rule, take the 2022 Test Rule 18 Quiz, and if possible use the test rule in their racing between now and July 15, 2022.

To take the virtual 2022 Test Rule 18 Quiz, click here

If you are interested in organizing the use of the 2022 Test Rule 18 between now and July 15, 2022, or know of any fleets, clubs or classes which may be interested, email Dave Perry

To access the 2022 Test Rule 18 information online site, click here

JimC

South East England
I'm somewhat bemused that here are proposals affecting probably the most difficult rule area in the book, and no-one seems interested!

JohnMB

Super Anarchist
Evanston
I'm somewhat bemused that here are proposals affecting probably the most difficult rule area in the book, and no-one seems interested!
Interested, read the rule, took the quiz, misunderstood a key element and than reread the rule, I think I understand it properly now.

Overall it looks decent, and is probably more aligned with how many sailors thought the rule worked. Have to wait to see how it pans out, I can forsee arguments about proper course, but they will just replace existing arguments about how much room is enough :).

Jethrow

Super Anarchist
So what is the actual proposed rule change? Do you need to do the online test to see it?

It didn't seem to be in the first bit about information.

Edit: Opps, its in the last link not the first...

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnMB

Super Anarchist
Evanston
i took the quiz,   kind of disappointed in the ,  sooner or later we're going to publish the answers...
if you look through the presentations there are some examples, and what appear to be answers to some of the questions for example: image.png

This is an interesting example of how the proposed rule is not the same as the current rule.

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
Copied from https://www.racingrulesofsailing.org/posts/1531-2022-test-rule-18-information-please-read-before-posting?forum_id=15.

The World Sailing Rule 18 Working Party is trying to find ways to simplify rule 18 (Mark-Room) without making significant changes to the current game. We have created a test rule 18 for 2022 which is 20% shorter than the current rule, removing much extraneous and complex wording. It contains simplifications such as making mark-room the same for all inside boats whether they have the right-of-way or not and whether the leeward mark is a single mark or a gate mark, creating a clear end point for when rule 18 stops applying, and allowing boats to gybe at the windward or offset marks when their proper course is to gybe.

The Rule 18 WP is inviting sailors and race officials around the world to study the test rule, take the 2022 Test Rule 18 Quiz, and if possible use the test rule in their racing between now and July 15, 2022.

To take the virtual 2022 Test Rule 18 Quiz, click here

If you are interested in organizing the use of the 2022 Test Rule 18 between now and July 15, 2022, or know of any fleets, clubs or classes which may be interested, email Dave Perry

To access the 2022 Test Rule 18 information online site, click here
As Gil Smith used to say in our Soling fleet, “Mast abeam!…dickhead.” Guess those days are over. 

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
I suspect there is some confusion from some. As a US park ranger at Yellowstone once replied when asked why they did not make a fully bear proof garbage bin...

There is a great deal of overlap in the intelligence of the smartest bears and many of the park visitors.

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
Copied from https://www.racingrulesofsailing.or...mation-please-read-before-posting?forum_id=15.

To take the virtual 2022 Test Rule 18 Quiz, click here

To access the 2022 Test Rule 18 information online site, click here
All respect tear it all up and start again.
Rule 18 is bad enough in one design fleets and in mixed fleets it is just dangerous because of variations in boat speeds.
At a local level have just had issue with modern 50 foot IRC boat and old slow 30 footer in a multiple boat pile up With serious damage.
On top locally, is a major personal injuries action with multi million judgment arising from a sporting event where the organisers failed to identify and deal with the risk of difference speed of athletes in this case able bodied runner and a disabled wheel chair athlete turning a corner In a triathlon.
To lawyers the analogy is obvious.
forget strategy or tactical advantage just make it safe and simple to use.
I also say this after getting caught up in on of the more epic raft up in a one design world in recent years So not just beer can racing.

Reference

There's nothing wrong with Rule 18 in theory, except that it rewards the liars. No way way to prove you are inside or outside the zone.

Howler

There's nothing wrong with Rule 18 in theory, except that it rewards the liars. No way way to prove you are inside or outside the zone.

That's why when I chair RC, I always send the new kid out in a RIB with a can of spray paint half an hour before the race and tell him to mark the three boatlength circle around each of the marks.

Brass

Super Anarchist
Maybe it's a well crafted change and people here see few problems with it.

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
That's why when I chair RC, I always send the new kid out in a RIB with a can of spray paint half an hour before the race and tell him to mark the three boatlength circle around each of the marks.
pool noodles on a rope around the mark also help a lot in the visualization

JimC

South East England
Maybe it's a well crafted change and people here see few problems with it.
Maybe, although that doesn't usually stop people!

I do have one concern, which is the situation with a boat clear ahead but wide of the mark. With the test rule, AIUI, if a boat clear behind touches the zone first she has mark room, even though not overlapped. The problem I have with this is it means there is no last point of certainty: whether clear ahead has mark room or not depends solely on which boat touches the zone first, something that's going to be very difficult to decide in the room, let alone agree on the water. And because there is no overlap it seems to me it removes the current last point of certainty.

But other than that I think its a very good piece of work, and after all it is a test rule, its allowed to have the odd glitch.