rs aero

knobblyoldjimbo

Super Anarchist
Here in Oz there is a separate handicap that's usually used for 14ft beach cats, it's based on a particular club but uses results gathered from a lot of the other 14 ft clubs. It recognises different builds from different era's SCH as glass v foam cored cats. Makes racing much better.

Edit. Konnawarra bay handicap

Last edited by a moderator:

Norm

Anarchist
I don't know what soe of you guys are worried about price for, i am hearing 3rd hand that it be $10 - 11,000 in Aus

can someone from RS confirm price ?

Bill5

Right now
Western Canada
Anybody else wary about multiple rigs? With 3 rigs, RS is in a way marketing 3 boats. The Laser Radial probably did more damage to the size of Laser fleets than anything else. Actually there are more Radials now than Standards at most regattas. A 10 boat purchase at a club could actually be 3 small, 4 medium and 3 large. I suppose that's better than 0, 4 and 0, but still...

us7070

Super Anarchist
Does the shift to more Laser Radials just reflect aging sailors still at it?
i'm getting one....

not so much age, as weight - I weigh ~160-65-lbs/75kg, and i'm fully powered on the full rig at 7 or 8kts.

never considered it before, because there was no one to sail against!

now that there are good sailors in the radial fleet, i'm going to give it a try.

so, what's changed is that the radial is now a viable one-design fleet, where it wasn't in the past.

Bill5

Right now
Western Canada
I think you are right 7070, I just checked the last Masters World's site and there were actually more Standard rigs (97) than there were Radials (87). I weigh 205 and am well into my Masters years. I would get smoked if I raced a radial.

jwlbrace

Super Anarchist
A34 - due south
Anybody else wary about multiple rigs? With 3 rigs, RS is in a way marketing 3 boats.

yep- totally wary given history with the RS100. At least this time around RS are making it very clear they are 3 separate classes from the outset, but the bottom line for those only seeking class racing from a dinghy, take any 'sale figures' floating around the internet with a pinch of salt, or at the very least unscientifically divide by 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
atefooterz said:
I don't know what soe of you guys are worried about price for, i am hearing 3rd hand that it be $10 - 11,000 in Aus

can someone from RS confirm price ?
If they follow existing clases & clothing/software/imac aussie gouging then with cover & dolly incl GST it will be $22,395
+ shipping with a 3 month lead time
So, now your complaint is basically "Why didn't they start building them 2 years ago, so I can have one NOW" ??

Seems logical

;)

FB- Doug

Bill5

Right now
Western Canada
Just saw a North American Order Form. $6,940 for the first 200 ordered in NA. After that it's $7,499. Dolly $600, top cover $300. Extra rig (can't figure out what size) $1,690.

us7070

Super Anarchist
one interesting thing is that on the Aero web site, it says that at ~165lbs, i am at the top of the weight range for the 7.0, and at the bottom of the weight range for the 9.0!

A laser full rig is 7.0, and i'm no where near the top of the weight range for that...

but the Aero beam is the same as the Laser beam.

So the rig must de-power better than the laser rig, or something...

The tri radial sail might hold it's shape better than a laser sail too.

Reht

Super Anarchist
A carbon mast with a tri-radial sail (with 2 full battens and a square top) depowering more efficiently than a laser rig? Who would have thought? The sail probably flattens out easily and bleeds off in gusts nicely, plus it's probably a more comfortable boat to hike in a blow allowing you to hike harder/longer...

jwlbrace

Super Anarchist
A34 - due south
That's a nice way of saying that Laser is a piece of dated, antiquated shit and if dinghy sailors had anything about them, a boat like this could really show Fuzzy and Crusty exactly what we think of all their legal bullshit ruining the game we love....

us7070

Super Anarchist
That's a nice way of saying that Laser is a piece of dated, antiquated shit and if dinghy sailors had anything about them, a boat like this could really show Fuzzy and Crusty exactly what we think of all their legal bullshit ruining the game we love....
what are you talking about?

Bill5

Right now
Western Canada
I think the legal bullshit is going to die on the vine. It's only been a distraction. Local Laser dealer is getting spars directly from Selden so he actually has stock! Not sure of any 45 year old design that isn't dated...The Aero sure looks great today, but flash forward to 2059 and I doubt it will look as fresh!

Martin Wadhams

RS Aero Australian launch price is AUS $9,995 - trolley $649 - top cover $349

The first batch for Australia is scheduled to leave the UK in July and will land in September (early season) - and will include some boats for test sailing and a few available to order.

bluelaser

Anarchist
one interesting thing is that on the Aero web site, it says that at ~165lbs, i am at the top of the weight range for the 7.0, and at the bottom of the weight range for the 9.0!

A laser full rig is 7.0, and i'm no where near the top of the weight range for that...

but the Aero beam is the same as the Laser beam.

So the rig must de-power better than the laser rig, or something...

The tri radial sail might hold it's shape better than a laser sail too.
Having sailed the 100(obviously much wider but a similar rig in some ways) I was barely hiking in 12-15 with an 8.4m2 sail - and I'm only 5'6" ~155. Even with the narrower beam of the Aero it's an incredibly tune-able rig. And with the light weight of the aero the boat will accelerate quicker rather than loading up and heeling over.

jfunk

Super Anarchist
RS Aero Australian launch price is AUS $9,995 - trolley $649 - top cover $349

The first batch for Australia is scheduled to leave the UK in July and will land in September (early season) - and will include some boats for test sailing and a few available to order.
Will pass that on to a bunch of guys I know who might be keen.

Latest posts