rs aero

Martin Wadhams

Thanks jfunk - and yes atefooterz the launch price includes Aus GST.

Forgive me but can't help telling you that we're literally taking more Aero orders every day - exciting time!

Signed up to say that I’ve plunked down my 500 beans to reserve an RS Aero.

I’m an ex-Laser racer and an ex-windsurfer looking to get out on the water again in a sporty, simple boat and do a little casual racing. I considered getting another Laser, but try as I might, I simply can’t get excited about the Laser design anymore. Strike two against the Laser: my club’s fleet has diminished to the point that Frostbiting and other weekly racing is no longer offered. I've discovered, however, that the other club in our bay organizes weekly open-class dinghy racing using Portsmouth handicapping, so that could be fun.

To me, the Aero looks like the perfect combination of performance, simplicity, and practicality. I’ll be very interested to read more reviews and view more video footage in the coming months to see if the Aero is everything it’s cracked up to be. (Looking in your direction, West Coast Sailing.)

FishAintBiting

Anarchist
Signed up to say that I’ve plunked down my 500 beans to reserve an RS Aero.

I’m an ex-Laser racer and an ex-windsurfer looking to get out on the water again in a sporty, simple boat and do a little casual racing. I considered getting another Laser, but try as I might, I simply can’t get excited about the Laser design anymore. Strike two against the Laser: my club’s fleet has diminished to the point that Frostbiting and other weekly racing is no longer offered. I've discovered, however, that the other club in our bay organizes weekly open-class dinghy racing using Portsmouth handicapping, so that could be fun.

To me, the Aero looks like the perfect combination of performance, simplicity, and practicality. I’ll be very interested to read more reviews and view more video footage in the coming months to see if the Aero is everything it’s cracked up to be. (Looking in your direction, West Coast Sailing.)
Suggest mounting a GoPro to your boat and sharing (+ write reports here too). Please don't attach the GoPro, as it generally produces awful footage.

Enthusiasm can be addictive.

Happy sailing.

Fish

Last edited by a moderator:

Steveromagnino

Super Anarchist
Here is a new boat, made in UK, I believe, and shipped to US with an intro price of $7K, with a solid build, good resin/glass sched, modern spars and sails, rigged for racing, and a modern design...

And you want a cheaper price for fleet building?

And they say that Walmart and its ilk have not ruined the consumer mentality...
Would guess it's probably going to be made in Thailand, alongside the other RS boats, by renowned builder CMI who build Nacras and RS dinghies.

It's a very interesting boat for sure, could be something that would make me consider dinghies again....lots to like about it!

jwlbrace

Super Anarchist
A34 - due south
I heard it was going to be made on the Isle of Wight in the UK and that RS aren't doing much with CMI these days

- Martin may or may not wish to confirm

either way, great to hear that someone else has got the guts to look beyond the Laser at something far more exciting for their sailing.

Yay, another vid! Keep 'em coming.

At 75kg/165lbs, I fall right in between the suggested rig sizes, so I'm interested in hearing more about about rig tunability, hiking comfort, and upwind performance.

Reht

Super Anarchist
Yay, another vid! Keep 'em coming.

At 75kg/165lbs, I fall right in between the suggested rig sizes, so I'm interested in hearing more about about rig tunability, hiking comfort, and upwind performance.
Your choice may also depend on what conditions you expect, smaller rig for bigger conditions.

It should be interesting to hear how well the rig depowers if they get any days that are nuking. WestCoast, if you get a chance while you're there could you try taking a big rig out on a really windy day to see how well you can deal with being completely overpowered?

oztayls

Australia
It looks nicely set up. However, all we ever see of promotional video taken of new boats is them planing on a reach. It doesn't tell us much as all boats are stable when planing. Can we please see Aero's upwind and downwind performance? How well does it sail by-the-lee downwind? Such footage would be really useful if RS have experienced sailors in mind.

RobG

Super Anarchist
+1.

The latest video seems to be a directors cut of the same footage used for the previous one. It will be interesting to see more "how to" type videos that show the boat on different points of sailing.

The boat does look very good, and far more interesting that a Laser. At 60kg it's nearly twice the weight of a Moth so unlikely that many will lug it up the beach on their shoulder, certainly not in any sort of breeze.