rs aero

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
Jesus christ,

This boat looks like an old OK dinghy.

Def. not a boat of this time when you look at the bow.

Aesthetical wise they should have invested some more
It's all right, you can stick with your OK. Mind your back and the ramp and in the boat and enjoy the varnishing.

jwlbrace

Super Anarchist
A34 - due south
A new OK is a lovely boat, it's twice as expensive as this Aero though so it ought to be.

I'm not sure that it will deliver twice as much fun mind, not unless you've got a fleet of them to sail against....

M

multitranslation

just another dinghy in an endless series of rs boats...only featured on sa because they're paid to do so.

jwlbrace

Super Anarchist
A34 - due south
very true- having carried big windsurf kit up the beach (which is a shedload lighter than an RS Aero), it's not as easy as it looks... especially in a bit of breeze.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC

...to me H'cap racing loses meaning,,but a fun boat is fun,,even on one's own!

..I think many of us have gotten accustomed to sailing un-fun boats--hence the need of a fleet of same to make them interesting and relevant. :mellow:

but when it comes to sailing dinghies, i mostly want to race..,

i'm not going to buy a dinghy just to sail it for fun

i'm not interested in handicap racing - i'd rather race an un-fun boat OD

like i said above, if i want to sail a singlehander for fun, i will windsurf.
Sounds to me like you don't enjoy sailing

Not a slam, I know a lot of people in the same boat so to speak. I probably would be myself, except that somewhere in the long years I woke up to the fact that just plain sailing is actually fun. You just need a boat that isn't literally a flaming pain in the ass (as well as metaphorically a PITA).

About the Aero- I am kind of on the fence about pre-ordering one. Ovington Solution (linked above by jwlbrace) looks like a better, fancier boat, but it is also much more expensive and there aren't any here. Their site lists one 2nd-hand for 5,500£ which is over 9,000$US so guess how much a new one must cost.

FB- Doug

Last edited by a moderator:

jwlbrace

Super Anarchist
A34 - due south
a bit harsh Doug- since when is windsurfing 'not sailing'?

I quite get us7070's perspective, given enough decent wind and a bit of 3-dimension in the water, then, imho, the purity and freedom of windsurfing is far, far superior to that of freeriding a dinghy, or even racing dinghies, especially under handicap conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC

.... ...
Since there were two seperate words, "sailing" for the one and "windsurfing" for the other. Both are propelled by sails, yes, but then so are iceboats.

... ...

I quite get us7070's perspective, given enough decent wind and a bit of 3-dimension in the water, then, imho, the purity and freedom of windsurfing is far, far superior to that of freeriding a dinghy, or even racing dinghies, especially under handicap conditions.

Oh I "get" his perspective also. I'm not going into the issue of which is superior, frankly I windsurfed for a few years largely because I had some good friends who really liked it, but I enjoy sailing a real boat much more.

Personal taste, not superiority.

But then I have no need to claim that my favored activites are somehow superior to others, just like I don't feel any need to claim the music I like is superior to music that other people like. However I don't feel shy about saying that sailing some boats are like beating oneself in the shins with a 2x4 while having ice water poured down one's neck. Not quite the same as saying those boats are inferior, somewhere there are people who think that's fun too. But most of us will think it's less fun than sailing a boat which is less painful.

FB- Doug

jwlbrace

Super Anarchist
A34 - due south
i guess that's why folks who do express an opinion on what they find nicer/superior usually couch it in such terms as 'in my humble opinion' as we respect other people's view may differ, as you say, personal taste. :)

Btw, windsurfing is still sailing, as is ice yachting and kite boarding come to think of it.

Don't believe me? Fine, ask ISAF... or the RYA or whomever you want really. They're about as an 'official' endorsement as we're likely to get on the definition.

Back to the RS Aero... the video makes a point of the mast being forward but the volume distribution further back to ride higher. Sounds interesting, kind of stokes the embers of the whole COE vs CLR thing a bit.

Alex W

Super Anarchist
Seattle, WA
For those who claim that this isn't really that new: What other one person dinghy has a hull that weighs around 60lbs (so I can cartop it myself), is designed for a 170-190lb sailor, and has a reputation for being durable? The Aero hasn't proven the latter, but there isn't a lot of competition in the former.

I'm serious, I'd like to find a "fun boat" that I can rig quickly from the car and store at my house without using a trailer (no garage or storage area for a trailer). The Aero is super interesting, but at that price point I'd also like to see more locals with them so there was a chance for one design racing and not just having fun at Duck Dodge.

Board skiff

Super Anarchist
Jesus christ,

This boat looks like an old OK dinghy.

Def. not a boat of this time when you look at the bow.

Aesthetical wise they should have invested some more
It's all right, you can stick with your OK. Mind your back and the ramp and in the boat and enjoy the varnishing.
No varnishing needed on modern OKs...

image.jpg

image.jpg

duncan (the other one)

Super Anarchist
Siderney
Interesting looking vang arrangement.. what's the thinking behind taking the split through blocks off the boom and down again, rather than just to a block, and the two connection points on the boom?

I guess it reduces the point loading -- was this design intent?

us7070

Super Anarchist

.... ...
Since there were two seperate words, "sailing" for the one and "windsurfing" for the other. Both are propelled by sails, yes, but then so are iceboats.

>... ...

Oh I "get" his perspective also. I'm not going into the issue of which is superior, frankly I windsurfed for a few years largely because I had some good friends who really liked it, but I enjoy sailing a real boat much more.

Personal taste, not superiority.

But then I have no need to claim that my favored activites are somehow superior to others, just like I don't feel any need to claim the music I like is superior to music that other people like. However I don't feel shy about saying that sailing some boats are like beating oneself in the shins with a 2x4 while having ice water poured down one's neck. Not quite the same as saying those boats are inferior, somewhere there are people who think that's fun too. But most of us will think it's less fun than sailing a boat which is less painful.

FB- Doug
Also.., what i said was : i'm not going to _buy_ it just to sail it for fun..., or handicap racing

if it were sitting in front of me on the beach, and it was a nice breezy day, i would enjoy sailing it around

what i was following up on was my previous comment about how it would be in their financial interest to jump start an OD fleet, large enough to be healthy.., even at some up-front out of pocket cost.

I already have "boats" to sail for fun - some might not think it's sailing, but I do.