rs aero

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
Wait a minute, the R7 uses same size sail as full rig Laser but is rated for someone weighing 25lbs lighter than me?

And yeah Laser old tech heavy and ultimately bendy with new tackle hastening its demise I like the build of something like the Areo.

..yeh,,,a LOT more power-up/down with carbon spars,,,and the weight/inertia differences are rather unbeleivable

........brave new world ,really

...looking forward to the next beach-launch dinghy trials,,where laser started out ;)

Presuming Ed

Super Anarchist
London, UK
agree but at this point they're just copying the Hoot! We don't need two Lasers (oh wait, there's 3 variations), nor do we need two Hoots!
Except RS have a marketing budget, and a history of successfully bringing new boats to market. The boat is just the starting point.

If you want to foil, get a Moth - it's at the sweet spot in terms of size, (see SHC's post about how his big Moth didn't work), so a non-Moth foiler is going nowhere.

What with this and the D-Zero, I'm missing out by not being able to go to the dinghy show this year. :(

Icedtea

Super Anarchist
This. This is exactly what would work I think.

In every conversation about the mythical "laser-killer" on this forum, people have went on about how the RS100, D-one, moth or whatever will be the boat to take over from the laser.

But in reality I think something more like this could be the answer- basically the laser but updated

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Daniel Holman said:
Viral marketing tho innit? Nobody has control! Anarchic sensibility should have precedence over the revenue dollar.
"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"

;)

The priorities I see for success in this market is sailing characteristics- it must hit the niche of being fast but no too squirrely, rewarding & fun but not overly demanding. Obviously means different things to different people but there are already stable slow boats sitting idle, and quirky twitchy rockets sitting idle too. It must be relatively inexpensive, and it should be robust and have long service life at that price. It must be simple & quick to rig/unrig, people nowadays don't have the time or temperament to fuss with finicky rigging (or the ones that do, are already sailing a boat they like).

Looks to me like there are several possible Laser replacements on the horizon, and several of them may be successful in the market. I -hope- they come to the US sooner rather than later.

FB- Doug

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
........ RS have a marketing budget, and a history of successfully bringing new boats to market. The boat is just the starting point.

......yeh,,,rub it in,eh! :mellow: <_<

Looks to me like there are several possible Laser replacements on the horizon, and several of them may be successful in the market. I -hope- they come to the US sooner rather than later.

.....yeh,RS not only has the marketing budget,,,but of course those resources extend to R&D,,build, etc,,,

,,,,,,,,and they could probably manage a generous 'trade-your-laser' program--that'd be th'kicker!

....... laser started at ~$660 in the 70's,,,I have a feeling RS will likely 'tell' us what those $ are worth now ;)

........pretty well positioned to be a walk-through for the SH olympic class,,given the chance

Huh, no spinnaker option.

....status quo boat,,,laser appeal

......it's pretty incredible to realize just how unadventurous the mass market is.

....I see a lot of local laser buddies,,and their creative avoidance of even trying a hoot,,even when there's a ready local fleet to join and local laser #'s flail,,,and can't help but see that 'something's up' there :mellow:

...it's incredible to see that sportboats have gotten a grip in NA,,,

,,,,,,,,,,,but those are mostly experienced sailors gone full-circle,,,joining the 'simplify' movement!

Last edited by a moderator:

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
....... laser started at ~$660 in the 70's,,,I have a feeling RS will likely 'tell' us what those $ are worth now ;)
That's easy. I tend to like "rule of 72" simple and can do it in my head but there's also

http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=660&year1=1972&year2=2014

which gives the answer ~ $3,700 which I think is a bit low. WTF you can't even find a new Opti for that.

...yeh,,I always imagined that boat-bux$ shrink faster than general inflation :mellow:

....it'd be quite a phenomena if the RS guys took anything like that # as a starting point!

robjwilkinson

Anarchist
Not too bad a price when you compare say the RS100 (I know its a different boat etc, but at least used prices are coming down to around the £5000:00 mark)

A spinnaker option, at least, would be nice. Like I was saying the Vareo has that option, I got to try one out a couple of years back..while off the wind was fun it was a disappointing boat, heavy and very uncomfortable gunwale to hike from. Gave me sore hamstring/buttock area.

That said, that same time I noticed a big Laser following (I was at Minorcasailing, Menorca) with racing/coaching every day, pretty much.

GybeSet

Super Anarchist
as you report having a spi on a singlehander does not transform the boat

it will guarantee it won't sell in any decent numbers though

may as well keep going and ask for wing and trapeze options too

For the RS Aero to replace the Laser ( it may be time ) RS will need a ton of support and endorsement from pros and top amateurs.The push will have to be top - down. Regular sailors and racers will have to think that the Aero really is a better boat to get them out of their Lasers. Opinions from the top will sway the masses.

Martin Wadhams

In answer to questions:

Hull weight of the RS Aero is 30kg (66lb) basically the same weight as an Optimist!

Sailing weight 49kg (108lb)

Length 4m - 13'2"

Beam 1.4m - 4'7"

Three sizes of rigs (nothing new there) RS Aero 5 - RS Aero 7 - RS Aero 9, typically for youths - women / light men - men respectively.

Epoxy foam sandwich hull with significant use of carbon fibre in high load areas

Carbon fibre spars

Sails have full length top battens with square head - short battens lower down.

Luff track on mast and halyard

Full info and some explanation behind all the design is now up at www.rssailing.com

Exciting and unbelievably busy day today at the Dinghy Show in London.

Amazing reception today - very exciting.