rs aero

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
For the RS Aero to replace the Laser ( it may be time ) RS will need a ton of support and endorsement from pros and top amateurs.The push will have to be top - down. Regular sailors and racers will have to think that the Aero really is a better boat to get them out of their Lasers. Opinions from the top will sway the masses.

....err,,how could 'the word' not travel fast from -any- direction?

...comfort,,,drainage ,,,carbon irreconcilability,,,easy up the ramp,,,strong organizational support....and **.....need I go on?!

...**....I'll bet we see a proper world's within a year

...hmm,,I should see if they need a rep in these parts :mellow:

SimonN

Super Anarchist
Sydney ex London
If they bring a container load to Sydney, I'll have one. Had been thinking of a Laser to supplement my A Class sailing but cannot bring myself to do it. A fleet of these in Sydney would be great.

Ludicrous Speed

Anarchist
Spaceball 1
Why is there almost no video (I actually could find none on YouTube) of this 10k next generation single hander "phenom" sailing circles around lasers and leaving them behind? Perhaps a video of a lady lifting the boat on top of a car by herself? Hey RS? Some (actually LOTS!) video please.!? I think is is weak to have zero video on a product website. Really, really weak.

JimC

Not actually an anarchist.
South East England
sailing circles around lasers and leaving them behind?
Might not be the best thing to do...To my mind there are two suitable downwind speeds for a singlehanded boat - at least if you sail inland in gusty conditions like I do.

The first is to sail downwind at the same speed gusts travel, so that if you are in a gust you stick with it, if you are not they catch you.

The second is to sail downwind fast enough to catch gusts, so that if you aren't in a gust you can catch one

If you are between those two speeds then when you get in a gust you will sail out of the front and get into the lull and be stuck there, with the raggy unsteady front of the gust just behind. Not nice

If you are slower than gust speed then you will tend to fall out of the gusts and back into the lulls.

The laser is about gust speed downwind, so that's actually a sensible target to aim for. With the ICs we are starting to nibble at gust catching speeds, and of course the Moths do catch them, but no mass market boat will be that quick.

Bruno

Super Anarchist
Laser class turmoil creating entry opportunity.

Congrats to Dan Holman for getting his boat into production, looks good, like the .2 m extra!

And to RS for bringing a simple, clean, modern boat to market, shame about the .2 m missing!

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
Interestingly,,after the initial offer,,both the RS and D-zero come in at about the same.....

£ 5,400.00 = $9,041US = $10000CDN = $10,125AUS
the GBP's sure on a spike in the last few years months,,,it was ~1.6 or so when it mattered to me

...was it Ben's gold or what!? :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:

vox

If the proverbial laser-killer ever arrives, it will be less expensive than a laser. The demographics for laser sailing (outside of junior sailing) is getting older and older. 20-30 year olds just aren't going to be able to buy a 10k boat.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Interestingly,,after the initial offer,,both the RS and D-zero come in at about the same.....

£ 5,400.00 = $9,041US = $10000CDN = $10,125AUS
the GBP's sure on a spike in the last few years months,,,it was ~1.6 or so when it mattered to me

...was it Ben's gold or what!? :mellow:
If the price was the same, I'd be more likely to pick the D-zero... it's much cooler looking.

If the proverbial laser-killer ever arrives, it will be less expensive than a laser. The demographics for laser sailing (outside of junior sailing) is getting older and older. 20-30 year olds just aren't going to be able to buy a 10k boat.
Well, it's $9k at the moment... about the same as a Megabyte. Which has not exactly set the world on fire, but it seems like a bit more boat than the Aero.

I have to say, this price is disappointing. Sure it's better built than the Laser but that's the whole purpose of advancing technology... make better stuff, use less resources.

Applying inflation to the 1970s Laser price, you get something around $4k. If the Aero were priced at $4k I'd buy two, and I wouldn't even have to explain it to my wife... at $6k I'd buy one with little hesitation, and work at building a fleet here. At $8k I am not all that enthused, and would certainly have to do some home budget negotiating with Mrs Steam... at $9k there is no realistic hope of a fleet starting up around here and it would have to be significantly more impressive than the Megabyte which I'm already familiar with (and like a lot, but again no hope of a fleet around here) before I'd get one.

Bummer

Or maybe it's just me

Already confirmed that I'm an old fogey but hopefully not yet at the stage where all I can talk about is my latest operation and how much stuff costs nowadays.

FB- Doug

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
...yeh...when Laser came on,,,they were pricing equivalent to an Opti IIRC :blink:

..........Laser certainly knew their marketing.

What's an opti worth today? :mellow:

....from what I've seen,,Laser sailors are -very- stuck on what they've got,,

even with fleets dwindling to rather pathetic #'s,, ,,not that umpteen classes will help that

...the best answer I have for my bit in the scene,,a different market to these,,

..........is to build a strong local group,,,go from there.

...at least in dealing with a 'skiffy' sort,,,mature sailors come to see that the challenges and joy come from smaller fleets,or even -solo- sailing,,,and the pains of schedules,travel,and crew availability all become secondary

Last edited by a moderator:

Norm

Anarchist
is that the standard main sheet system ? does it work OK ?

i dont know about about RS but it is a shame when boats are put on market and controls look good but need upgrading to actually work

30kg hull makes it interesting for man handling, opens up more buyers - easy car topper and store in garage under ceiling

Wavedancer II

Anarchist
With the laser class in disarray, it looks like there is a queue of boats wanting to take over.
Athough the class organization (ILCA) may be in disarray, this really hasn't effected Laser sailing as such. In my neck of the woods (USA), it's sailing as before. Frostbiting, club racing, Regional and National championships all have good turnouts.

I might be reluctant to buy a new boat though, but this only effects Laser Performance and the dealership that would sell me the boat. So far, my current (2004) one is holding up.

Even though the D-zero and RS-Aero look mighty nice, it will be a long time for them to catch up with the Laser as far as numbers and opportunities to race are concerned.

OW3

is that the standard main sheet system ? does it work OK ?

i dont know about about RS but it is a shame when boats are put on market and controls look good but need upgrading to actually work

30kg hull makes it interesting for man handling, opens up more buyers - easy car topper and store in garage under ceiling
I agree, that's a big winner for me, easy to car top and simple storage. Possibly eliminate the need for a trailer/dolly which would open up a lot more launching options in my area too.

Martin Wadhams

Sorry - posted some answers yesterday, but appears not to have worked.

More than 70 ordered now - not all of them placed at the Dinghy Show, but a lot were.

Received an email late Saturday from our AUS dealer which included the throw away line - you'd better put me down for 10 (not included in quantity above), so hopefully a boat in Sydney will be possible, SimonN.

I promise the controls and mainsheet do all work, Norm.

Response to the price at the weekend was that for an epoxy / foam sandwich hull with significant amounts of carbon fibre, all carbon spars and epoxy sandwich foils, the Aero is fantastic value. That was literally everyone's view I heard - and I spoke to a serious number of sailors. Controlling cost while halving the weight and making the boat truly exciting to sail has been a huge factor in the design and development process.

EdFontana

Do you communicate what "epoxy hull" means to useful life (resale value) anywhere in the documentation?

Lead customers will recognize that, but others will not.

Very nice work, by the way. Thank you for bringing it to market.

Hi there

I like the effort and it seams to look like a great boat.

from the Web page I really like the possibility to stack 3 boats on a single standard trailer. With only 30 kgs this makes a lot of sense to me!

If this is the laser killer or not is not for me to tell.

I am sure the aero is good or even great value for what it is. But does the laser replacement need full carbon spars? I'm not sure but I don't know. Is it state of the art? Yes.

I'm not a laser sailor, I'm not involved in the discussion but I read quite a lot about it.

From my outside point of view I'd say the new laser killer has to be cheaper in absolute numbers than the laser by 20% or more.

Given 40 years of development in materials, manufacturing, design and calculation one would think that this should be possible and still get a better performance and build quality boat. No it won't have carbon spars. If this is not possible, then it proves what a great design the laser really is.

I am also missing some videos on the Web page. I hope they will come.

The hoot was very good on that. A bikini girl, carrying the hull under one arm and using the supplied tool to easily get it on the cars roof.

Sail on!

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
I went to the show yesterday and missed it first time I went past the stand as there were too many people crowded around it.

Later I bumped into a very good yachter who asked if I'd seen it cos he'd just bought one, so I went back to have a look. It's a very simple looking little boat with some nicely put together carbon bits and pieces to keep it light and make it look nice. My 5 year old overheard the salesman telling some old boy how light it was, at which point he tried to drag it off it's stand. That made it clear how light the thing really is.

Looks great for someone who wants to sail a simple singlehander. Guess we'll have to see how many of them there are who are prepared to get their cash out.

Is it a Joe Richards design?