rs aero

brownc9

Seattle
Thanks Woodman, I'm trying to figure out how I would move it around with my truck. Need a trailer or what not. Truck bed is 7' long with the tailgate down, so that's not ideal.

Sounds like a fun boat, price is a bit steeper than I'd like, of course.

Hi all,

As best I can tell, there was an article on the Aero written for Yachting magazine, (or some similar name). I have gone to their site, and as best I can tell I cannot purchase the backissue electronically, and it is not widely distributed in North America. Does anyone have a way I can find a reprint? (I have seen the related youtube video, some time ago). Feel free to respond via private email if links, etc are disabled here, or send to chuck *dot* linn *at* gmail.com.

Thanks,

Chuck

Hi all,

As best I can tell, there was an article on the Aero written for Yachting magazine, (or some similar name). I have gone to their site, and as best I can tell I cannot purchase the backissue electronically, and it is not widely distributed in North America. Does anyone have a way I can find a reprint? (I have seen the related youtube video, some time ago). Feel free to respond via private email if links, etc are disabled here, or send to chuck *dot* linn *at* gmail.com.

Thanks,

Chuck
Is this the link you're looking for? http://rssailing.com/uploads/files/092014/5411b3a07117491211000002/original/RS_Aero_YY_Test.pdf?1410446240

DaveT

Hi all,

Thanks,

Chuck
Is this the link you're looking for? http://rssailing.com/uploads/files/092014/5411b3a07117491211000002/original/RS_Aero_YY_Test.pdf?1410446240
Worth bearing in mind a Y&Y review hasn't criticised any boat in the last 20 years, including some pretty awful boats

Thanks for the link - didn't find it on the RS site when I looked a while ago. And comments re. the mag and reviewer noted. If you ask me, both RS and D-zero (at their respective price points) look like great boats. My ideal boat would be a hybrid of the two - everyone is different (I'd take the RS mainsheet arrangement (non-stern) and (perhaps) the DS hull - but without the back angled "slice" off, which I assume they did to prevent it from catching the sheet). The rigs themselves will be a matter of opinion.

Hey West Coast Sailing, When ordering an RS Aero, do you guys have trailer and dolly you would recommend for the boat? Also, I haven't gone back through the forum, but the mast is a one-piece, correct?

Will WCS be getting a demo boat that I could come down (from Seattle) and test sometime?

Thanks guys!
Right-on Trailer has a road base

http://www.rightontrailer.com/dolly-trailer-system/

Dynamic Dollies supports a dozen boats from the RS line, don't see one for the Aero yet.

http://dynamicdollies.com/dollies/

jwlbrace

Super Anarchist
A34 - due south
From the Boat reviewer / Class Manager:

I think the developing fleet will have a lot of fun experimenting with various angles upwind to see if and when cracking off a little and going for speed to promote upwind planing is viable over the a high pointing mode.

I'm looking forward to seeing all this upwind planing......

srwhite

On flat water with the big rig it will plane with the boom just off the quarter - I have done it on two occasions. Whether it is enough on a VMG basis I doubt, but its going to be interesting trying

WestCoast

Super Anarchist
looks like the first two boats are landing on the east coast this week to debut at Annapolis Boat Show (cutting it right down to the wire for the show display!)

Expecting first container to arrive on the west coast late this year.

WestCoast

Super Anarchist
Brief update: Our first container from RS including Aeros is on the way to the west coast. I wasn't able to get all the boats I wanted, but the first batch of customers with deposits down will be getting their boats near the end of the year.

I'll post some photos of the arrival and packaging detail, as it will be my first time seeing fully packaged/production ready hulls.

I brought in some of the UK dollies (and trailer), as well as having the more popular Dynamic Dollies on the way. Will compare them all.

Norm

Anarchist
What are the plans For Aero in Australia ?

Are there demo days, dates and locations ?

When will boats be in country ?

jwlbrace

Super Anarchist
A34 - due south
Most new boats require a tweak in the odd technique- having sailed a very light boat sub 30kg all up - my advice would be to get sheeting on as soon as possible, potentially even before attempting to climb in.

tillerman

Super Anarchist
Rhode Island
Thanks for the link Wavedancer II and the advice jimmy. I think it's fair to say that my Laser "boat re-entry" technique didn't work for me on an Aero but I suspect that by using the sheet I could probably find a way that does work.

Now where can I get some time in an Aero somewhere warm this winter?

jwlbrace

Super Anarchist
A34 - due south
Thanks for the link Wavedancer II and the advice jimmy.
no worries, and whilst it was posted to add some balance, it's worth noting that my experience was based on single-handing a highly experimental Cherub/R-Class derivative with three sails and 25+M of sail area.... not something marketed as a beach boat to every man, woman and child too big for their Tera.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts