rs aero

Peter Barton

Mid Solent

Peter Barton

Mid Solent
What are the plans For Aero in Australia ?

Are there demo days, dates and locations ?

When will boats be in country ?
My info is that first RS Aero's arrive in Australia beginning December. Only 10 more sleeps!

Container of 20 in Feb and another container before Easter.

Tom at Sailing Raceboats www.rssailing.com/au is your man for more info.

I am looking forward to being invited to a 'Lift-Off' event!

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/180113/RS-Aeros-at-the-Bowmoor-Bubble

Last edited by a moderator:

tillerman

Super Anarchist
Rhode Island
Those capsize vids (and others) with full narrative explanations and tips are all posted on the Class Forum

http://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=forum&fid=4&tid=6969

and on the RS Aero Class Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/rsaeroclass/ .

These are year 2014 boats with feather weight carbon rigs and super light epoxy/carbon hulls.
Some old rules don't apply and some are varied!
We are re-writing the conventional playbook here which is very exciting!
Thanks for posting these videos Peter. Having failed at my first attempts at capsize recoveries in an Aero (at Minorca Sailing) I am looking forward to applying the lessons from these videos and succeeding at capsize recoveries when I get a chance to demo the RS Aero in the US.

The container with our four demo Aero's arrives in Melbourne in two days time, allow a week to clear customs, means that all will be ready for the first Australian test sails during the ISAF World Cup from 7th December. It will be a busy Christmas down under.

Unwrapped our new boats last Thursday, brilliantly presented with foils in a polystyrene molded box, simple to follow instructions all control lines ready run etc. The first boat took about an hour and a half to assemble, but like flat pack furniture, number two took half that time.

!st Sail in Australia on Friday by Jessica Watson, weighing in at about 45kilos (98 lbs). She tried the Aero 7 which she managed well, but felt that at over 10 knots breeze a 5 would suit her better. It is the tubby's turn ( 95 kg) next week!

Andy P

Isle of Wight
Aeros at Gurnard Isle of wight.

The 5 was quicker upwind, pointing higher, the 9 faster downwind, but round the course they were within a few seconds of each other.

We just had a most fantastic endorsement for the Aero from a guy who traveled 780 km (485 miles) from Adelaide to try the boat.

"I have been waiting for a boat like this all my life" .....Chris, aged 68....he takes delivery in February.

Peter Barton

Mid Solent
Some more British winter High Wind video. This time from from Hayling Island at the RS Aero/Tera training this weekend.

The RS Aero5 squad was joined by some RS Aero/Tera parents who have bought boats rather than be left on the shore and some of the Hayling Aero fleet which helps keep the youngsters on their toes!
Like AndyP says - those 5 rigs are impressive when the breeze is up. If a '5' sailor is less overpowered than the bigger rigs upwind and can plane hard downwind then they can be hard to catch.

flyhigh

Pete, on the videos you mention a few times that one of the 9 sailors weighs 98kg. Could you comment a bit on the weight of the 5 sailors? Are they in the weight range of Laser 4.7 sailors or below that?

Peter Barton

Mid Solent
Flyhigh -

Over the weekend the 5 sailors were between 38-62kg.

On the windy day our 38kg sailor still had a lot of fun reaching (frequented by capsizes) but could not race upwind effectively.

The heavier sailors around 60kg were dong better than the 50kg sailors on the windy day. They were faster upwind and the tight reaches played to their advantage with no marginal planing for the lighter sailors to catch back up on.

The 5 sail is actually 5.2m2. With a lighter hull there is less resistance and the rig is very de-powerable, so maybe the sailor weights required are similar to 4.7s.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
If I'd just finally build the little 11 footer with 85 ft^2 I started building in 1995, I'd have it...or at least the kids woould...

Latest posts