rs aero

WestCoast

Super Anarchist
First real live Aero customer review in SoCal:

I “sailed” in no wind and rain on Saturday, but had a decent breeze on Sunday.

I have no regrets. The boat is fantastic. The light weight, easy rigging, great controls are all perfect.

I’m looking forward to many happy sailing days.

- Jim M.

First real live Aero customer review in SoCal:

I “sailed” in no wind and rain on Saturday, but had a decent breeze on Sunday.

I have no regrets. The boat is fantastic. The light weight, easy rigging, great controls are all perfect.

I’m looking forward to many happy sailing days.

- Jim M.
And here's the best picture I have of the first sail, coming in for a landing...

IMG_0836.JPG

That's what I've been wondering as well Norm. they said to watch the RS Aero Australia Facebook page but nothing there aside from pics of them sailing the boat next to Wildoats XI and Melbourne pics.

Maybe they sold out so none for us.

richiec

Super Anarchist
Sydney
If they sold out in Oz, maybe they need to order more. I sent the bloke a message via SA, no reply. Bit of a surprise when you see the Brits raving about the service from RS in that market.

Yeah but for RS, UK is home turf, so of course they are probably going to get great service.

In my case our shed is looking to replace 3 Lasers and 1 Spiral. So they are doing themselves out of a potential sale of 4 hulls and 2 extra rigs (aprox $45k) while they faff around not announcing tests days. We need to be able to say specifically how much money we need and what we are purchasing before we start raising money to satisfy legal criteria.

At this point in time, as much as I want us to have light, self draining boats that stack easily, its a case of the devil you know ie Spirals.

Of course we might test sail and say "Aero, hell no!", but until we've sailed it............

LCS Carbon

Flags
Home
Yeah but for RS, UK is home turf, so of course they are probably going to get great service.

In my case our shed is looking to replace 3 Lasers and 1 Spiral. So they are doing themselves out of a potential sale of 4 hulls and 2 extra rigs (aprox $45k) while they faff around not announcing tests days. We need to be able to say specifically how much money we need and what we are purchasing before we start raising money to satisfy legal criteria.

At this point in time, as much as I want us to have light, self draining boats that stack easily, its a case of the devil you know ie Spirals.

Of course we might test sail and say "Aero, hell no!", but until we've sailed it............
Disappointing to hear this, I looked at one at Sail Melb, pretty wow, but ultimately, someone has to sell them.

srwhite

I am surprised to hear that. We have had great service. Clearly you can cancel, but most boat builders I have had boats from don't contact you until the boats ready and they need full payment. There were plenty of well publicised demos around the UK and as far as I know they have continued. Clearly there is a lot of demand - I was told on Sunday that they have 650 orders now and are producing 20 a week, so trying to keep up.

I have sailed them a few times now and they are really great boats for all ages and sizes, so I'd definately try one.

Unpacked my actual boat yesterday and its all very well presented - takes a few hours to run all the lines and the blocks though.

jwlbrace

Super Anarchist
A34 - due south
Unpacked my actual boat yesterday and its all very well presented - takes a few hours to run all the lines and the blocks though.

Really? Last time I picked up a new boat from RS everything was already rigged and good to go.... had it been by a slipway all I had to do was bang the sail up and I could go sailing.

I've heard the rigging manual is well put together.... not much point for what, 80% of the punters though. Blokes don't read manuals.

WestCoast

Super Anarchist
I'm not sure that a PM via a forum is your best way to contact a dealer about a boat purchase.

Tom in Australia is a quite an organized guy, so I'd suggest a proper email if you want information / demo plans:

Tom AT sailingraceboats.com.au

--

Also, we take deposits from people for all sorts of boats, and don't send them 'thank you's'.

They know what they are buying, and we keep in touch as production of their boat occurs, ships to us, etc.

But, we have hundreds of customers buying boats, which means RS has thousands.... so I wouldn't expect a personal note at every stage.

--

Boat builders (and dealers) aren't perfect, but, we all try quite hard to give our customers an excellent experience from deposit to delivery.

Sorry you had a bad go of it elsewhere, but, generally speaking, it's a fun process for customers from placing their order to their first day of sailing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys in Australia

Many apologies, although Sailing Anarchy is a great medium I am not an expert at using it.

Here are the facts:-

There are 20 Aeros with a full selection of rigs, arriving with us in Melbourne in the next three weeks, plus a further 20 scheduled before Easter, so there will be plenty to go around.

We are currently appointing demonstration agents for the Aero in each State, with ourselves covering Victoria.

Of the four boats we received mid December there is one in Sydney, and we currently have three here in Victoria, with two being demonstrated at the Bic National Championships at Sandringham and one at Geelong Festival of Sails.

Our long term agent in Sydney will be delighted to arrange a demonstration just for you. Contact them either by phone 0405 979 730 or Email [email protected], Any enquiries for trial sails or other information don't hesitate to contact me direct on 0487 780 706 or Email [email protected] and I will be able to help.

Peter Barton

Mid Solent
Woodman,

"takes a few hours to run all the lines and the blocks though".

Seriously? I think you must have stopped for a nice lunch! ;) . I did it myself a month ago, routinely working through the 60 page manual, and I reckon about 90 minutes, plus sail numbers. Those pages in the manual turn over pretty quickly as you put the simple bits together. With all the diagrams and descriptions it is every bit as simple as a flat pack from IKEA - but a lot more enjoyable for being a sailing boat!

That 90 mins is just about the right time to form a bond with your new boat and wet your appetite for the first sail.

srwhite

Next time a boat arrives I'll get the stopwatch out, but tying everything off and running lines, fitting blocks etc there is now a 90 minute challenge ! I include putting a sail up and checking everything works. You also have to allow for checking other boats to see how they have done it. I'd say allow 2.5 hours as a min, but challenge ( and the owner has to do it with no external assistance ) of 90 minutes is on. :p

jwlbrace

Super Anarchist
A34 - due south
chaps, not meaning to take the piss, but.... likening your lovely new sailing product to Ikea furniture? Really? Next you'll be saying it comes with spaghetti and meatballs and that RS have installed a soft play centre to drop the kids off while you go sailing. Now actually, there's a thought......

Latest posts