rs aero

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
I promise the controls and mainsheet do all work, Norm.

.....when I saw the center-sheeting,,,an instant sigh of relief......no-more-hooked-sheets!!!

...I'd imagine y'all did your homework on details

Response to the price at the weekend was that for an epoxy / foam sandwich hull with significant amounts of carbon fibre, all carbon spars and epoxy sandwich foils, the Aero is fantastic value. That was literally everyone's view I heard - and I spoke to a serious number of sailors. Controlling cost while halving the weight and making the boat truly exciting to sail has been a huge factor in the design and development process.
...great splash Martin,,had missed the build materials...yeh certainly part of moving on from the laser is investing in a boat who's race-life is -well- extended from what we've known. ;)

I am also missing some videos on the Web page. I hope they will come.

The hoot was very good on that. A bikini girl, carrying the hull under one arm and using the supplied tool to easily get it on the cars roof.

Sail on!

...it's so funny how the mind works--the HOOT-gal was in a wetsuit!! :mellow: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex W

Super Anarchist
Seattle, WA
RS Sailing lists the price of the Aero as "starting at $7,499". That's nicer than $9,051.

If a big fleet appears in Seattle then it would be tempting. Without one I have pretty limited interest.

I promise the controls and mainsheet do all work, Norm.
.....when I saw the center-sheeting,,,an instant sigh of relief......no-more-hooked-sheets!!!

...I'd imagine y'all did your homework on details

Response to the price at the weekend was that for an epoxy / foam sandwich hull with significant amounts of carbon fibre, all carbon spars and epoxy sandwich foils, the Aero is fantastic value. That was literally everyone's view I heard - and I spoke to a serious number of sailors. Controlling cost while halving the weight and making the boat truly exciting to sail has been a huge factor in the design and development process.
...great splash Martin,,had missed the build materials...yeh certainly part of moving on from the laser is investing in a boat who's race-life is -well- extended from what we've known. ;)

I am also missing some videos on the Web page. I hope they will come.

The hoot was very good on that. A bikini girl, carrying the hull under one arm and using the supplied tool to easily get it on the cars roof.

Sail on!
...it's so funny how the mind works--the HOOT-gal was in a wetsuit!! :mellow: :lol:

Indeed it is! while writing the sentence I was wondering if she was actually wearing a bikini. I even started questioning if it actually was a girl!

still:

girl in a bikini - that's the image that was stored in my mind.

Ludicrous Speed

Anarchist
Spaceball 1
Jim,

The point is that there is no video backing up anything at all.

1. Lets see it sailing. Heavy air, light air, upwind, reaching, downwind, small, middle and big sail.....
  2. Lets see it in various conditions vs. other boats in the segment
  3. Lets see it being rigged.
  4. Lets see it being lifted up on a car by a young woman

It is incredible to me that there is not more video as RS is supposedly a proper marketer of their products, etc.

Someone please post a few video's of this thing...OR...are there literally no video's?

sailing circles around lasers and leaving them behind?
Might not be the best thing to do...To my mind there are two suitable downwind speeds for a singlehanded boat - at least if you sail inland in gusty conditions like I do.

The first is to sail downwind at the same speed gusts travel, so that if you are in a gust you stick with it, if you are not they catch you.

The second is to sail downwind fast enough to catch gusts, so that if you aren't in a gust you can catch one

If you are between those two speeds then when you get in a gust you will sail out of the front and get into the lull and be stuck there, with the raggy unsteady front of the gust just behind. Not nice

If you are slower than gust speed then you will tend to fall out of the gusts and back into the lulls.

The laser is about gust speed downwind, so that's actually a sensible target to aim for. With the ICs we are starting to nibble at gust catching speeds, and of course the Moths do catch them, but no mass market boat will be that quick.

Lake Shark

midwest
The boat looks nice but I'm skeptical of the whole "car top-able by one person claim" I can easily lift the weight of an Opti over my head but I can't easily lift an Opti over my head and place it on a car due to its shape

Lake Shark

midwest
The boat looks nice but I'm skeptical of the whole "car top-able by one person claim" I can easily lift the weight of an Opti over my head but I can't easily lift an Opti over my head and place it on a car due to its shape

Norm

Anarchist
Thanks Martin,

Send some to Aus quick before our currency drops any further.

It would be interesting to see price on Australian soil after our Government have a crack.

EdFontana

A Laser is car top-able by one person. You need the ultra wide Thule bars for the spars on the passenger side. If you are on grass and the distance is manageable you can use a set of 3 swimming pool noodles from Walmart as rollers. Just throw the third one in front and keep doing that leap frog style. The fact that I used the rollers and admitted it says something about how physically strong I am (not). If you can hold two block without a mainsheet cleat you will be fine.

I think a longer boat is easier, as the bow can reach the back crossbar with you still at the balance point. At least that is the easiest way.

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
A Laser is car top-able by one person. You need the ultra wide Thule bars for the spars on the passenger side. If you are on grass and the distance is manageable you can use a set of 3 swimming pool noodles from Walmart as rollers. Just throw the third one in front and keep doing that leap frog style. The fact that I used the rollers and admitted it says something about how physically strong I am (not). If you can hold two block without a mainsheet cleat you will be fine.

I think a longer boat is easier, as the bow can reach the back crossbar with you still at the balance point. At least that is the easiest way.

...Laser...just drag it on the gunnel ,,,'beach-boat' afterall :p

torrid

Super Anarchist
If the proverbial laser-killer ever arrives, it will be less expensive than a laser. The demographics for laser sailing (outside of junior sailing) is getting older and older. 20-30 year olds just aren't going to be able to buy a 10k boat.
Yes, yes we do keep getting older. When I was in my 20s, I couldn't afford a $5k boat (equivalent for the time). However, I could afford a $1000-1500 Laser that was competitive enough for my skill level. THAT is why the Laser is so hard to replace.

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
I'm seeing a rich vein of well off middle aged men looking to buy one to give them something to club sail while their kids are playing optis.

Another rig for the Mrs and perhaps a mini one for the kids to mess about with when there isn't much wind...

Martin Wadhams

Replacing the Laser has never been our plan. The boat will be around forever. But not everyone sails a Laser - and some Laser sailors move from boat to boat over the years. We hope (and believe) the Aero will find its place in the game.

Many things have happened in boat development - rotomoulded boats like our Tera and Quba give an entry point and great sailing for realistic cost. The Aero is aimed at the more experienced sailor who is able to spend a bit more, for another level. In time the used Aero market will give a lower cost option.

Yes, it's a Jo Richards design - and I'd like to give full credit as well to our own Technical Director, Alex Southon, who has put heart, soul and experience into working with Jo to make the Aero what it is / will be. His kids probably don't recognise him........

Until this last few days we've deliberately not sought publicity for the Aero. We knew that as soon as the word was out we'd come under pressure to start delivering boats - and we just wanted the space to do the best possible job and press the go button when we're ready. So, I have to admit we haven't done all kinds of promo material yet - including video. We'll get onto it.

We are working on a specific RS Aero addition to a roof rack that will make single handed roof loading convenient.

The bikini thing has got my attention and I couldn't possibly say more right now.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
If the proverbial laser-killer ever arrives, it will be less expensive than a laser. The demographics for laser sailing (outside of junior sailing) is getting older and older. 20-30 year olds just aren't going to be able to buy a 10k boat.
The demographic outside of junior sailing is much older than 20-30s. The biggest adult single-hander class in the UK is the Solo, at a price point not dissimilar to the Aero. Sailors are mostly the wrong side of 40, many of them well the wrong side.

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
Yes, it's a Jo Richards design - and I'd like to give full credit as well to our own Technical Director, Alex Southon, who has put heart, soul and experience into working with Jo to make the Aero what it is / will be. His kids probably don't recognise him........
Jo's not designed a lot of dogs recently, not unless he's asked for another off the beach for sailing schools shitter by the manufacturer. So we can probably give the shape the benefit of the doubt...

This was one of his, this years Bloody Mary winner.

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/photos/national12/yandy103242.jpg

The marketing approach here seems brilliant. If they could deliver at $8,995 I bet they could have a success. This looks to me like a possible replacement to the Laser, but the Laser is all about class. Cost is a big factor; under $7500 a real chance, over $10,000 not so much.

A wild marketing idea? how about offering 100 rs Aero's for $500,000 or 50 for $345,000.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Hey Martin - how much of this is a play for the 2020 Olympics? With the Laser so sloppy right now and years of litigation ahead, the question has gotta be asked, doesn't it?

RobG

Super Anarchist
atefooterz said:
What would a Sydney price be 10K?
Current exchange rate is GBP1 = AUD1.85396. Base price is GBP5,480. Toss in a trolley, cover, foil and spar bags and it comes to GBP6,083 => AUD11,278 plus 10% GST (AUD12,405) plus shipping (AUD1,500?) plus… so not much change from AUD14k. Very close to a second hand Mach2.

A local dealer may make things easier, but not cheaper.

Latest posts