rs aero

robjwilkinson

Anarchist
Whats with the Olympic obsession with some people? I think the classes that the Olympics allow are the most BORING ever to watch, save for the 49er. Nothing against lasers and the other classes but I cant ever be arsed to watch any events....because its so boring, to me anyway.

I cannot understand for the life of me why some of the more interesting classes are not introduced. Musto Skiffs have been around for a while, What about some Foilers as they are here to stay.

Then there was some hassle over allowing Kitesurfing over Windsurfing...WTF is going on? allow both categories for heavens sake.

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
Whats with the Olympic obsession with some people? I think the classes that the Olympics allow are the most BORING ever to watch, save for the 49er. Nothing against lasers and the other classes but I cant ever be arsed to watch any events....because its so boring, to me anyway.

I cannot understand for the life of me why some of the more interesting classes are not introduced. Musto Skiffs have been around for a while, What about some Foilers as they are here to stay.

Then there was some hassle over allowing Kitesurfing over Windsurfing...WTF is going on? allow both categories for heavens sake.

...yeh,,the oly-melee :mellow:

...in choice of classes,,I suppose the decision makers have different categories such as light-guy SHer,,,ape-man dinghy,,gal-boat,,,etc. A trap SHer would be a nice category and would be a nice way to add excitement to SHers,,,

.......but then there's the limitation on how many classes,,,and politics of course

..fwiw**,,,I agree that trap-dinghies and K'boards would add some appeal

.........** about nothing! :mellow:

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC

...yeh,,the oly-melee :mellow:

...in choice of classes,,I suppose the decision makers have different categories such as light-guy SHer,,,ape-man dinghy,,gal-boat,,,etc. A trap SHer would be a nice category and would be a nice way to add excitement to SHers,,,

.......but then there's the limitation on how many classes,,,and politics of course

..fwiw**,,,I agree that trap-dinghies and K'boards would add some appeal

.........** about nothing! :mellow:
I think the sailing Olympics should have a class where you have to build it first. Maybe weave the cloth for the sails too. And sail it from your home country to the host venue.

xcellent pics, really show the boat well. Thanks !!

FB- Doug

jwlbrace

Super Anarchist
A34 - due south

sometimes you can tell when some people just blat about on boats rather than do much racing. Your views are shared extensively amongst friends and acquaintances of mine who primarily windsurf, or kite surf. Other friends who race boats found the footage from Weymouth on the Finn, 470, Star, Laser Radial etc some of the best media coverage the sport of sailboat racing has ever seen.

What is even more remarkable is that many of us formed an opinion that fast boats would actually be 'crap' viewing after that - slow = more tactical etc. After all the 49er coverage was the lamest show going in Weymouth, and despite the obvious hilarity of the Qingdao medal race, it was a complete lottery that didn't really do justice to the 4 year campaign of some of the world's best yachtsmen.

But then along came the AC... in foiling cats. That was a perception changer again.... so sailing's in a pretty cool place right now, fast and slow boats proving tactical racing is still tactical racing. Something this boat, at this price, could offer in spades for many sailors across the world.

As for the Aero and Olympics, I wish the guys at RS well with that if that's their ultimate objective, but as Martin alluded to, that's not necessarily something they would wander into without some serious consideration given past experiences. Besides on another forum, they've been quite clear that the target is not to 'replace the Laser', but if we the punters like the looks of something fresher and more modern, and the Laser fails to implement that long overdue overhaul due some legal spat, then if they snooze, they could lose and the legal fees would be for nothing but a legacy.... and we'd probably all be better off for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

WestCoast

Super Anarchist
Sorry, bad grammar.....

No Aero at Strictly Sail Pacific for April 2014. You can bet there will be one for 2015.

Phil and I are flying to UK next month to take two of them out sailing. We'll have goPros straped to Phil's head :)

--

RS is working on pre-order launch programs for North America right now.

I have heard the pricing will be very attractive on the first few hundred boats.

mihnea

Toronto & SD
lovely pics... but HOW HARD IS IT TO PUSH THE VIDEO RECORD BUTTON?!? It's harder to find a camera that WON'T film than one that does, nowadays!

sorry... I really like this boat, but c'mon, let's see some video of it. GoPro ideally, but even a shaky smartphone vid will do now.

Icedtea

Super Anarchist
lovely pics... but HOW HARD IS IT TO PUSH THE VIDEO RECORD BUTTON?!? It's harder to find a camera that WON'T film than one that does, nowadays!

sorry... I really like this boat, but c'mon, let's see some video of it. GoPro ideally, but even a shaky smartphone vid will do now.
It's about building the hype.

You want to launch the boat with some good footage showing what the boat can do.

That was the MXNext's problem here- footage got posted, but it didn't show how fast the boat was or whether or not it could do what they claimed.

mihnea

Toronto & SD
In 2014 video is part of the basic work that a company launching a product needs to do. I'd fire any marketing person that doesn't have video as part of their product launch effort. If anyone in 2014 focuses more on brochures and ads than video and social media, they should not be allowed to make any marketing decisions, period.

As for the MXNext, other than the stupid music they put on all their vids, I actually like their approach. I'd take a spin on that thing, for sure.

ortegakid

Super Anarchist
Whitesboro,TEXAS
Latest MX next video shows promise, but still looks a bit bouncy like the old one, ie, wpb doesn't seem to do enough, needs more length, imho, still will withhold final judgment until I sail one, just sayin.

Bruno

Super Anarchist

sometimes you can tell when some people just blat about on boats rather than do much racing. Your views are shared extensively amongst friends and acquaintances of mine who primarily windsurf, or kite surf. Other friends who race boats found the footage from Weymouth on the Finn, 470, Star, Laser Radial etc some of the best media coverage the sport of sailboat racing has ever seen.

What is even more remarkable is that many of us formed an opinion that fast boats would actually be 'crap' viewing after that - slow = more tactical etc. After all the 49er coverage was the lamest show going in Weymouth, and despite the obvious hilarity of the Qingdao medal race, it was a complete lottery that didn't really do justice to the 4 year campaign of some of the world's best yachtsmen.

But then along came the AC... in foiling cats. That was a perception changer again.... so sailing's in a pretty cool place right now, fast and slow boats proving tactical racing is still tactical racing. Something this boat, at this price, could offer in spades for many sailors across the world.

As for the Aero and Olympics, I wish the guys at RS well with that if that's their ultimate objective, but as Martin alluded to, that's not necessarily something they would wander into without some serious consideration given past experiences. Besides on another forum, they've been quite clear that the target is not to 'replace the Laser', but if we the punters like the looks of something fresher and more modern, and the Laser fails to implement that long overdue overhaul due some legal spat, then if they snooze, they could lose and the legal fees would be for nothing but a legacy.... and we'd probably all be better off for it.
+1

jwlbrace

Super Anarchist
A34 - due south

I'm sure the pro marketing campaign is underway, which will include some video no doubt- they produced a fantastic training video for the 100 when it was launched with one of the best regarded dinghy coaches in the UK - Mark Rushall.

Those pics (not mine, the link is nicked from the Y&Y forum) are from a stander-by at the demo at Northampton Sailing Club.

I don't think we can teabag RS for crap marketing, they seem to do an alright job at it to me.....

(and cheers Bruno!)

Icedtea

Super Anarchist

I'm sure the pro marketing campaign is underway, which will include some video no doubt- they produced a fantastic training video for the 100 when it was launched with one of the best regarded dinghy coaches in the UK - Mark Rushall.

Those pics (not mine, the link is nicked from the Y&Y forum) are from a stander-by at the demo at Northampton Sailing Club.

I don't think we can teabag RS for crap marketing, they seem to do an alright job at it to me.....

(and cheers Bruno!)
Never did, I think RS are some of the best in the business at that, I can't remember if they've ever made a dud.

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.
Couchsurfer, Not Growing Up -etal +1.

I will add, IMHO, foils have place, but are not central to sailing and in fact may be detrimental to it generally...More is not better either.

As mem serves, the Laser was originally designed and marketed as a low-priced competitor to the wildly popular Sunfish...if the Aero's aura is similar (and Performance or whatever it is called now keeps not performing) Laser will fade, as it maybe should, as already noted.

But then I am ancient mariner and have some baggage in that area...I still think the old Interclub is a better boat than the Laser...(I did have a Laser, for a bit, however...'twas cheap rig and, frankly, not to my taste...and I corrected my mistake, again my view, and never looked back.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reht

Super Anarchist
Looks quick in a blow, but I guess anything with enough wind looks fast with all the splashing.

I noticed the 3 rig sizes, assuming the conditions were stable all day, it looks like different rigs will definitely suit different sailors.

Concern from the photos: the one photo of a capsized boat looks like it floats really high. Is it still easy to climb onto the board, or is it going to be a struggle for somebody who's not quite fit? Also how easily/fast will it go to full turtle? In ponds and shallow lakes that can be a day ruining experience (from getting the sail mucky or even snapping the rig).