rs aero

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.
Looks quick in a blow, but I guess anything with enough wind looks fast with all the splashing.

I noticed the 3 rig sizes, assuming the conditions were stable all day, it looks like different rigs will definitely suit different sailors.

Concern from the photos: the one photo of a capsized boat looks like it floats really high. Is it still easy to climb onto the board, or is it going to be a struggle for somebody who's not quite fit? Also how easily/fast will it go to full turtle? In ponds and shallow lakes that can be a day ruining experience (from getting the sail mucky or even snapping the rig).
Now, I might say those are excellent questions...kind of things that define the real market?

WestCoast

Super Anarchist
Have on good authortiy that proper sailing videos will be released in a week or two.

Expect them to be well done as RS does quite a bit of proper marketing (even if they haven't been on it right at launch here, they are very busy!).

Also hearing through the grapevine that US launch pricing on the first few hundred boats will start with a $6,_____

Not official yet, but should be confirmed and announced very shortly.

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
Looks quick in a blow, but I guess anything with enough wind looks fast with all the splashing.

I noticed the 3 rig sizes, assuming the conditions were stable all day, it looks like different rigs will definitely suit different sailors.

Concern from the photos: the one photo of a capsized boat looks like it floats really high. Is it still easy to climb onto the board, or is it going to be a struggle for somebody who's not quite fit? Also how easily/fast will it go to full turtle? In ponds and shallow lakes that can be a day ruining experience (from getting the sail mucky or even snapping the rig).
Yes this is a concern... I have become a not-very-enthusiastic user of mast head floaties. It can help solve the mast-stuck-in-mud problem but it's nice to have a boat that doesn't spin to turtle instantly. And one you can grab the CB/DB

IIRC Bruce Kirby designed the Pixel with good capsize characteristics in mind, I think the Vanguard Nomad was done this way too, the boat needs flood-able chambers to move the center of buoyancy and bring the centerline lower to the water.

Have on good authortiy that proper sailing videos will be released in a week or two.

Expect them to be well done as RS does quite a bit of proper marketing (even if they haven't been on it right at launch here, they are very busy!).

Also hearing through the grapevine that US launch pricing on the first few hundred boats will start with a $6,_____

Not official yet, but should be confirmed and announced very shortly.
Hmm, at that price they should be able to sell quite a few. Sign me up!

FB- Doug

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.
Interesting note...I refurbished an ancient (73) Kite dinghy, which is a very hot wee boat at 11 feet-6 and the goofy winds here can veer 90 to 180 degrees in a second, and do so frequently, so I end up wet a lot...the boat is essentially unsinkable and floats high as designed...no inkling of going turtle...with orig spruce mast or the carbon AL replacement.

But, when down, I can raiser the boat with one pinky...seriously. One finger on the dagger tip and up she comes...but her high rails or deck make the getting back in a devilish prop...better be quick, Jack.

Anyway, just an observation...below is pic to give idea...That said, I hope the Aero sells like donuts-and is easy to reboard as it looks-makes a diff in the fun.

5_G.sized.jpg

jfunk

Super Anarchist
I was coaching the other day and at the end of the day watching everyone pull their boats out, I noted there was one boat built after the 70's. The rest were before. Lasers Finns, Etchells... There are vast improvements that can be made to each of these, so maybe its time.

I got approached by some sailors, they have a group of 7 they all had big boats and struggled with crew and they had decided were all going to get lasers. I suggested they would be much happier with a bunch of these or the Dzero.

If RS want a video done, send me a boat, I am willing to help.

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.
Interclub...and never look back...Lasers...forgetaboutit...Aero...remains to be seen. Interclub is not a wet sail either.

I lover my dry and rather got little Kite dinghy but wish there had been an Interclub available...

Pick your flotsam.

Photo04-InterclubIC-500.jpg

lift-off-1024x681.jpg

KiteAdvert.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
Interclub...and never look back................

I lover my .......... little Kite dinghy but wish there had been an Interclub available...

Pick your flotsam.

.......I can't think there was -anything- better for sailing than the 60's-70's and all the people who banged-together little 8' tubs and got on the water for very little $,,,,I'm not sure what happened from there--everything seemed to have gotten rather complicated

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.

I lover my .......... little Kite dinghy but wish there had been an Interclub available...

Pick your flotsam.

.......I can't think there was -anything- better for sailing than the 60's-70's and all the people who banged-together little 8' tubs and got on the water for very little $,,,,I'm not sure what happened from there--everything seemed to have gotten rather complicated
Corporate bullshidt....asshats like Jacobs and firms like Brunswick which did not have a clue, nor cared...bought and sold most boat outfits out of existence.

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast

Pick your flotsam.

Corporate bullshidt....asshats like Jacobs and firms like Brunswick which did not have a clue, nor cared...bought and sold most boat outfits out of existence.

..oh,,and a boat called 'laser' came along--only ~1.5x the cost of an 8' homebuild at the time,,

...one of the first boats aligned to mass production.......reasonably decent performance but a trade-off to production ,marketing simplicity

......rather changed the marketplace :mellow:

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.
Well, for some mono beachers, it was a choice between a Sunfish (AMF?) and Laser...no one wanted to buy a trailer and dink around...cartop or beach much preferred...then Performance got into it and virtually pulled the rug out, in the last few years...and here we are...

And guess what boats have appeal...as we noted...and not so spendy either...

WestCoast

Super Anarchist
Looks like some more pictures are circulating of the boat sailing.

Assume video close behind.

North American pre-launch info should be available soon too.

--

Yeah, I'm biased since I sell these things, but, I'm pretty excited about the boat in general the more I find out about it.

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.
Looks like some more pictures are circulating of the boat sailing.

Assume video close behind.

North American pre-launch info should be available soon too.

--

Yeah, I'm biased since I sell these things, but, I'm pretty excited about the boat in general the more I find out about it.
I was younger and into that venue, I would be on one quicker than you can say "Lasers will languish." Very well conceived new wet-mono. I now prefer boats I can stand on...